Post-Game Talk: Game #30: Canucks 3, Predators 1 - KESLERKESLERKESLERKESLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Booth's skating is really coming around, he's beating guys to the outside and driving the play to the net. I hope he realizes that he needs to do that not just every game, but every shift.

Lu was outstanding. The one goal against was a combination of a big rebound with weak coverage, 3 Preds and 1 Canuck to pick it up, they probably would have won that puck battle if the rebound stuck to Lu's pads.

Kesler was a beast, Santo really improves the 3rd line (hope he sees the value in that instead of feeling demoted), Garrison's shot accuracy is much improved, good powerplay. I liked this game once we got out of the first period.

arsmaster*

Wouldn't be a proper HF Canucks PGT if we aren't talking about the only goal we allowed in a pretty solid hard fought team win.

Tough rebound at a poopy time to give one up. Glad to see the fort was held the rest of the time and also glad to see the scoring pick us up in the 3rd.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Yeah its been annoying the people who bash perhaps the greatest goalie we have ever seen. Sort of like people who constantly bash the Sedins, our other greatest players ever (not named Bure).
Now to be fair, Bill - just imagine how much better this team would be had Mike Gillis followed Pauser's advice five years ago and let the Sedins walk and signed Mike Cammalleri and Marian Gaborik instead? It's not Pauser's fault that he was so right.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Wouldn't be a proper HF Canucks PGT if we aren't talking about the only goal we allowed in a pretty solid hard fought team win.

Tough rebound at a poopy time to give one up. Glad to see the fort was held the rest of the time and also glad to see the scoring pick us up in the 3rd.

Yep. Ultimately those goals are going to happen now and then and it's up to everyone (goaltender and the skaters in front of him) to avoid sagging after it happens and resume controlling the play.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Booth's skating is really coming around, he's beating guys to the outside and driving the play to the net. I hope he realizes that he needs to do that not just every game, but every shift.

I wondered if I was alone in seeing this. His speed is returning. Hope he keeps it up. I'd like Santorelli with him as a permanent combo on the 3rd line. They read off each other well and hustle all over the ice. To his credit, Santo has more ES points than either Kesler or Daniel right now. Amazing find so far. Put these two together and allow for some chemistry to form.

Bad goal by Luongo, but this was the first game in a while where I felt he was strong throughout. Looked like he had raised his level of play. Doesn't explain what he has been doing up until now, but hopefully this is him turning the corner.

Kesler goes to the dirty areas and scores. They don't need the perfect play, just follow Kesler's example and convert those many chances into goals. Doesn't matter if it's ugly/greasy.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Wouldn't say I've been biased at all. I've blamed him on goals that were weak. It's just the toxic poisonous groupthink that has occurred sees people blaming him for EVERY goal. It's quite sickening.

Your signature and this post highlight how confused you still are.

The Luongo goal, in my opinion, was in part due to a rebound Lu would probably like to have back, but overall he was fantastic last night.

Notice how I was slightly critical of the rebound yet still gave Luongo an overall great review?

You jump on every Luongo criticism like people are implying he's awful or the sole reason for every loss that happens. But your hyperbolic reaction misses the mark badly since no one is saying what you seem to be reading into. People can isolate a goal and make an observation about Loungo without implying "Zomg LUONGO should have moar SHUTOUTZZZ!!! Offense can't score but it's Luongoz fault!!!!111''.

Simply put, you don't get it. So having a discussion with you becomes utterly pointless since every reasonable point goes over your head.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Commented on Luongo in another thread. Would like to mention here that aside from the obvious stars of the game (Kesler/Santorelli/Garrison/Luongo), Booth was excellent. Skating fast, using his body, getting some shots towards the net. More of this, please.

Outside99*

On an unrelated note, how the hell does Weise have 8 points in 20 games?Well of course you wouldn't. That's definitely the impression I get, though. I agree that the opposite extreme is just as bad, though.

He goes to the net.

Outside99*

The concern is where was the help? Wide open 2 on 1 in front of the net (usually its 2 on 3 or even 2 on 4), based on pure randomness they have 67% chance to get the puck.

And earlier in the game it was a 2 on 0 in front of the net.

All the line shuffling esp. With centers playing on the wing can be confusing. By now even I have figured out Kes and Santo are the best options by far for 2nd and 3rd line center.

By the way Booth was a black hole with the Sedins. Hansen would be a lot more effective.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
One stat that stood out for me from last night's game: the forward with the top minutes last night was Santorelli. Who would have guessed that when we invited him to camp this fall? Torts reallly rewards the guys who work hard.

Nov 1, 2011
Even if Nucks can grab a low seed, judging by the home and away records as it stands right now perhaps it wouldn't be such a disadvantage.

I'd also be glad to cross over to the Central. I like it odds against say CHI or STL more than LAK or SJS... but we can only cross with a wildcard spot.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
One stat that stood out for me from last night's game: the forward with the top minutes last night was Santorelli. Who would have guessed that when we invited him to camp this fall? Torts reallly rewards the guys who work hard.

This is one thing I like about Tortorella. It's not just "work hard" though -- it's work effectively. Even when Santorelli wasn't scoring and might have seen his minutes cut under other coaches, he was still being effective and generating zone time/shots. Tortorella stuck with him and he's continued to be an effective player. He looks like a legitimate 2nd liner right now, and if the Canucks can add a top 6 forward and push Santorelli to the 3rd line, the team depth looks a heck of a lot better. Outstanding acquisition by Gillis.

Richardson has been similarly good on a smaller level. He does get eaten up possession-wise at times, particularly when he gets stuck playing minutes with Sestito, but he has a better skillset around the net than your typical 3rd/4th line tweener. Richardson is full value for the goals he's provided.

Both of Richardson and Santorelli are also relentless about shrugging off checks and driving towards the net, something a few of the more dive-happy Canucks (Kesler) could learn from. He's going to be a useful post-season player for the Canucks (if they get there...).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Commented on Luongo in another thread. Would like to mention here that aside from the obvious stars of the game (Kesler/Santorelli/Garrison/Luongo), Booth was excellent. Skating fast, using his body, getting some shots towards the net. More of this, please.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought he played well. His skating is coming along too and it's very encouraging to see, though I have no idea how it's happening so quickly.

StringerBell

That's funny, the one that stood out for me was Tanev leading the team in TOI. Pretty sure that's the first time that has happened.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The concern is where was the help? Wide open 2 on 1 in front of the net (usually its 2 on 3 or even 2 on 4), based on pure randomness they have 67% chance to get the puck.

And earlier in the game it was a 2 on 0 in front of the net.

All the line shuffling esp. With centers playing on the wing can be confusing. By now even I have figured out Kes and Santo are the best options by far for 2nd and 3rd line center.

By the way Booth was a black hole with the Sedins. Hansen would be a lot more effective.

A mistake free hockey game is impossible. The key is to limit those mistakes. The Canucks did exactly that against the Preds.

Bolded just made me laugh. So based on nothing is what you are getting at? nice.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Lu was outstanding. The one goal against was a combination of a big rebound with weak coverage, 3 Preds and 1 Canuck to pick it up, they probably would have won that puck battle if the rebound stuck to Lu's pads.

Kesler was a beast, Santo really improves the 3rd line (hope he sees the value in that instead of feeling demoted), Garrison's shot accuracy is much improved, good powerplay. I liked this game once we got out of the first period.

Would be huge for us to have Booth producing at a half decent clip for us. 16-20goal, 37-42 point season would be a big boost for secondary scoring. Do I have faith that he'll be able to pull that off, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad