Post-Game Talk: Game #30: Canucks 3, Predators 1 - KESLERKESLERKESLERKESLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I feel like Y2KCanucks has leaned so biased towards Luongo throughout the years that it's tough to take his defenses for the guy seriously even on occasions where he's right.

Wouldn't say I've been biased at all. I've blamed him on goals that were weak. It's just the toxic poisonous groupthink that has occurred sees people blaming him for EVERY goal. It's quite sickening.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On an unrelated note, how the hell does Weise have 8 points in 20 games?
Wouldn't say I've been biased at all. I've blamed him on goals that were weak. It's just the toxic poisonous groupthink that has occurred sees people blaming him for EVERY goal. It's quite sickening.
Well of course you wouldn't. That's definitely the impression I get, though. I agree that the opposite extreme is just as bad, though.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
It was not a bad goal at all. It was merely a goal. Defensive breakdown sure (though not even that bad of one, as we've seen in other games like the LA game).

A shot from the blueline constitutes a 'defensive breakdown'? :laugh:

A goalie stopping a screened shot is likely going to give up a rebound. Tanev was right there to clear the puck, and had he done his job there would have been no goal.

Might want to watch the replay. Tanev tied his man up in front of the net so he wouldn't get to a rebound. Unfortunately it got kicked to the other guy in the slot.

There really wasn't blame to go around there. It was a bad rebound due to the partial screen and it was a fortunate bounce for the Preds.

Every goal doesn't have to be an awful goal or a defensive breakdown.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A shot from the blueline constitutes a 'defensive breakdown'? :laugh:

Might want to watch the replay. Tanev tied his man up in front of the net so he wouldn't get to a rebound. Unfortunately it got kicked to the other guy in the slot.

There really wasn't blame to go around there. It was a bad rebound due to the partial screen and it was a fortunate bounce for the Preds.

Every goal doesn't have to be an awful goal or a defensive breakdown.

the real issue is that when these goalies go over goals with their goalie coach they assign a letter or number grade to each rebound. On here every rebound is a bad rebound.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
What if that's true? That would be a great story.

Weise was a Ranger before, no?

LetMeGifThatForYou

gatoradehockey.gif

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
**** about the Predators goal. Truth is nobody has an f'in clue what a good or bad goal is for a goalie - there are just so many intangibles and it is completely situational. Complaining about Luongo where he gives up one goal is such a pansy outlook. What about the point blank saves he made early in the game? Have to agree with y2k: while he will defend Luongo vehemently, it seems there are some that will slag Luongo vehemently.

Canucks won, we should commend them for their effort tonight. They didn't let off the gas and the depth for Vancouver was too much for Nashville to handle. Nashville is a tough game - you have to ignore the roster sheet; the Predators always come out to play and they always leave little to no space.

Oh yeah and Kesler went beast mode! Booya, 3 out of 4. A betting man has the Canucks over Phoenix on Friday. Team has a lot to prove will less pressure on home ice. Expect a big game.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
the real issue is that when these goalies go over goals with their goalie coach they assign a letter or number grade to each rebound. On here every rebound is a bad rebound.

It was a terrible rebound obviously. But that's why you screen goalies...

When you face 30 or so shots there are going to be poor rebounds and scrambles. It just so happened to be in a bad spot. Don't think you need to assign blame to anyone on that play. Too much over analyzing all around IMO.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
**** about the Predators goal. Truth is nobody has an f'in clue what a good or bad goal is for a goalie - there are just so many intangibles and it is completely situational. Complaining about Luongo where he gives up one goal is such a pansy outlook. What about the point blank saves he made early in the game? Have to agree with y2k: while he will defend Luongo vehemently, it seems there are some that will slag Luongo vehemently.

Canucks won, we should commend them for their effort tonight. They didn't let off the gas and the depth for Vancouver was too much for Nashville to handle. Nashville is a tough game - you have to ignore the roster sheet; the Predators always come out to play and they always leave little to no space.

Oh yeah and Kesler went beast mode! Booya, 3 out of 4. A betting man has the Canucks over Phoenix on Friday. Team has a lot to prove will less pressure on home ice. Expect a big game.
For every buddy and guy out there bagging on Luongo I like to believe there is a Y2K out there to smile and rub Lou's back.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Kesler loves owning Nashville. He was probably drooling at the bit to play a Nashville team without Shea playing lol.

And on Luongo. He tends to let in one 'Lu' a game, similar to how Cloutier always let atleast one **** goal in a game. He was good when he had to be tonight. He was the difference early on until Kesler turned the lights out.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, nice to see Kes waking up with attitude. That's the guy we need to show up, but I'm just worried about whether or not his body is going to hold up long enough these days.

++ PP waking up slowly but surely.
-- Ice in Nashville. Seriously, what is that, a curling surface? Puck was like a tennis ball half the game.
++ Luongo with a great game. Shame about the one goal, but maybe sooner or later the dmen are going to realize they can't just let people stand around in front of the net by themselves like that.
-- Nobody dismembering whoever ran Luongo over and nobody turning the whatever-the-hell-his-name-is Nashville goalie into a stain on the ice the next shift.
-- Edler. Actually shows signs of remembering how strong and dominant he can be, then vanishes into the dressing room. RRRRRRRRRRRGH. Please be okay.
-- Burrows hurt again. Man...
++ Richardson and Santorelli. Everyone was doom and gloom ("THESE are the only guys Gillis can find?! FIRE GILLIS!!") during the offseason, but they've been gamers.
-- Booth with the Sedins. Uh...okay...
++ D very good for the most part.
--Hamhuis on the PP. Couldn't hit the side of a barn. I know, there was a barn behind the Nashville goal, and he kept missing it.

Wouldn't say I've been biased at all.
You've been biased beyond all rational thought.
I've blamed him on goals that were weak.
No, not really.
It's just the toxic poisonous groupthink that has occurred sees people blaming him for EVERY goal. It's quite sickening.
And dedicating every waking moment to ferreting out every negative thing said about him isn't exactly making it go away.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Santorelli may be the unsung player of the game.

It's chicken and egg who helped who with the Sedin's - but that line looked pretty dominant tonight, at least on possession play. He was a workhorse on the boards to help track down pucks that would otherwise be cleared. Did a lot of things right.

Is the player you are talking about Booth? Santo was off that line after the first... Unless hey was put back , I only seen first half, and last 5

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC

Yeah whatever, you keep telling yourself that. When Luongo lets in a bad goal it's always the D's fault; never Luongo's. Even when he's clearly being outplayed by the other goalie.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hey look, we won.

woot

(sorry, just watched the recording since I had to miss it). A couple notes:

-Obviously a great game for Kesler, his line with Higgins and Santo was really buzzing in the last two periods.
-I thought Booth looked solid, love how strong he is when he drives to the net
-Garrison seems to be getting more shots on net, and I would argue it was a conscious effort tonight. A lot more low shots, with less velocity, I like it. We don't need Garrybombs every time
- Luongo looked solid, kept us in there during the first period when we needed him. Made some big stops that we built off of. You want him to have a little better rebound control on their goal, but nbd.
-Didn't like Bieksa's game at all. Poor on the PP, struggled with breakouts, and didn't rush the puck like he has this season.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Kesler getting his nose dirty today. Don't expect to see this persist.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Well, I was very enthused about the effort tonight. Kesler proved that he adores playing in Nashville yet again (beastmode), Santorelli showed that he's worth the faith that Torts has been putting in him, Booth continues to show that he's got his confidence back (thank god), Weise gives indication that he's more than a lot of people thought he was, and Hamhuis and Garrison really did well to eat up the minutes that Edler left on the table after going out with an injury, and they really served the team well.

Oh, and Lu came up huge when we needed him.

A game where this many players are doing the right thing.... you're usually gonna win no matter who you're playing.

Now, if we could just get Kassian to show that he's actually worth all the faith that so many are investing in him. I gotta say, I rarely ever see it -- not enough to make me think he's likely to get to that next level where people expect him to be. Everyone keeps telling me how he's this very good player just waiting to blossom, and I can't figure what they can see that I can't. I mean, I've been watching this sport intently for 28 years now -- you would think I could see the promise that they see. I wish I could.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
3-1. Oilers are terrible.

Canucks ought to be targetting Minnesota and then LA right now. Well really, they just need to sort out the home record and everything will take care of itself.

I see us ahead of PHX, MIN, and/or COL by the time the season ends.

Home ice is usually a pretty big advantage in the NHL and we've played a lot of road games.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Even if Nucks can grab a low seed, judging by the home and away records as it stands right now perhaps it wouldn't be such a disadvantage.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Yeah its been annoying the people who bash perhaps the greatest goalie we have ever seen. Sort of like people who constantly bash the Sedins, our other greatest players ever (not named Bure).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I do think the GA was a bit of a stinky rebound, but he could shoot the puck in his own net for all I care if he's going to stop everything else and he did that tonight.

Hopefully December is the new November.

For how many years though? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad