GDT: GAME 3 / Rangers v Penguins / 7:00PM EST, APRIL 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't understand the whole Bennett thing. Dude is playing well. He plays well and is just hated by the coaches. Makes zero sense to me.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Would you feel better if it had been a forward that we had signed and who was injured and sitting out?

Injuries happen, to all times. Granted to us more than any other but still.

There are reasons to use hindsight on the Erhoff signing. I think that he was misused from the start for one as the most obvious part of his game is that booming shot on the PP. But because he is injured is not one of them. We definately could use a healthy Erhoff right now.

I've been the one supporting JR all season. But if there was no intention of moving Martin or any D-man for a forward, then we should have banked that cap room and looked to buy cheap on a high salary winger near the deadline.

One more guy who can be even slightly better than Kunitz or Winnik would do this team wonders right now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't understand the whole Bennett thing. Dude is playing well. He plays well and is just hated by the coaches. Makes zero sense to me.

99% sure they'd rather have a faster and more tenacious player with Sutter.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Still say the Ehrhoff signing was smart at the time, but damn, it looks brutal now. This team could sorely use that 4 mil up front. At least he's only here until the end of the season.

Could be paying Dan Boyle similar money for another year. He looks terrible.

Yeah, the value was certainly there. I feel like this organization was planning on dealing Despres this season, so Ehrhoff was a great stopgap considering that. No one would have expected us to lose both Maatta and Letang for the season. Ultimately it's just a 1 year deal so it's nothing to get too worked up about, but that money could have gone to someone like Vrbata or even Cammalleri (although Cammy has always had injury problems).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Bennett is the Despres of forwards. That is about all you need to know.

I think that they must have stolen Burkle's lunch money or something. The organization had and has an unreasonable hatred of both, matched by their unreasonable love for Adams and reassembling the 2009 team no matter the cost. I think so that they can golf together in the off season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've been the one supporting JR all season. But if there was no intention of moving Martin or any D-man for a forward, then we should have banked that cap room and looked to buy cheap on a high salary winger near the deadline.

One more guy who can be even slightly better than Kunitz or Winnik would do this team wonders right now.

I think that may have been the intention. Injuries stepped in and made that impossible so we will never know for sure.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think that may have been the intention. Injuries stepped in and made that impossible so we will never know for sure.

Not according to JR in a recent interview. He's pretty straight forward, and he stated he never was looking to move Martin.

I believe him. The forwards he's brought in have been good, but I knew when he was hired, he'd want vets on defense. Dealing Despres for Lovejoy and keeping Martin fits in with that mindset. And for this team, it's not the correct one.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The real problem with Ehrhoff was that it prevented us from using Despres right (in which case he would not have been traded, one presumes) and from a less fan-boyish angle it was an issue because Ehrhoff did not genuinely add to what we had unless he was going to be trusted to help run the PP. Quite evidently the latter was not the case.

In any case, looks much worse now than it did at the time, where I only objected because we already had the answer for the position and if we had wanted to spend real money on a D-man at least it should be someone who addressed a genuine need.

Value wise however.... Ehrhoff looked a better player at 4 million than most any forward available.... and that made it kinda OK with me at the time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Is he though?

I think it's the mancrush just blocking out his misgivings. The bar just keeps getting set lower and lower with him here.

He's not dominating with the puck, he's not winning battles and he's turned over the puck at the worst places. This doesn't even speak to the times he was clueless to where to be on the ice and him watching play.

I don't know what you guys are watching, but those few decent plays don't outweigh the bad he's done. That stuff is not on coaching.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
@NYP_Brooksie Yandle not on the ice for Rangers skate. Hunwick is in his spot on the power play

“@NYP_Brooksie: If Yandle is out, Klein or Summers would play. Yandle was smoked into wall during 1st Sat by Comeau. Missed 10 min but finished game.â€

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I also think bennett has been a non-factor. Yeah maybe he didnt get enough time earlier, but right now.... i'm ok with how things are.

Penguinzilla*

Bennett's prob is that he's a horrible skater by NHL standards. He can't create space. Hopefully he'll do some serious powerskating during the offseason.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Bennett's been decent not amazing but I see no reason to scratch him for Wilson right now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's huge.

Yandle has that great pass and poise.

Won't know until game time if that means anything. But as we saw with Letang it does not take much against the boards to do a lot of damage. Yandle did return to the game, but if he is out that obviously was a mistake. Crosby played the next game after getting rocked in the Winter Classic and we saw how that turned out.

But again, this may have been nothing, we will know when the lineups are announced formally. Coaches are always cagey about info in the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If both Klein and Yandle are out, it makes it that much easier to target Boyle. Get Sid out there and just dominate that matchup.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If both Klein and Yandle are out, it makes it that much easier to target Boyle. Get Sid out there and just dominate that matchup.

Klein skated with the team, much like DP did for us. I am thinking that he will be back but only used in spots, much like DP. He is not 100%. So more like Yandle out and Klein not nearly 100% and used sparingly. Assuming any of this happens at all. We will know at likely 6:59 pm.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
hcFXf1.gif

Keep on truckin'

Great GDT!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Won't know until game time if that means anything. But as we saw with Letang it does not take much against the boards to do a lot of damage. Yandle did return to the game, but if he is out that obviously was a mistake. Crosby played the next game after getting rocked in the Winter Classic and we saw how that turned out.

But again, this may have been nothing, we will know when the lineups are announced formally. Coaches are always cagey about info in the playoffs.

It would be nice to see the injury bug help the Pens for once.

Not that I endorse injuries, but....'Pens have more than their share.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It would be nice to see the injury bug help the Pens for once.

Not that I endorse injuries, but....'Pens have more than their share.

It is part of the game. There is a difference between being happy for a lucky break (pun intended) that helps your team in a series and calling for players to say run and try to injure Lundqvist or Nash.

I am sure no Rag fan is shedding any tears about Maatta or Letang getting hurt. I wouldn't expect them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad