IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pulling out a Supernatural gif....

tumblr_inline_n6u90aGbTS1qmjwd3.jpg

tumblr_mcup8yn3eh1r73u0co3_500.gif

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Talking about the refs. Yes, they´ve been awful. Against us all year long. Yes, they were against us again in NY again. But despite the huge difference in PP opportunities, I don´t think that all is black & white in this case. At least 8-9 of those 12 calls against us were good calls. Yes, the Rangers could´ve been penalized more. But we´ve scored 2 PP goals last game and both came as a result of phantom calls against NY. Normally, I would´ve expected more make-up calls or not calling some penalties when the difference in PPs is so huge already, BUT the bottom line is that the Pens are not disciplined enough.

The PPs are 12-5 in favour of the Rangers now. If the refs were calling the game 50-50, I would say that it should´ve been something like 10-6 in favour of the Rangers. So, it´s not as brutal as it seems.

That said, we will see what happens in PIT when it comes to officiating. I´m not very optimistic.

Whether or not we are on the refs bad side, you can't do anything but blame the players for the ill-timed penalties. Some truly bone-headed decisions. And they've shown no evidence of an abrupt paradigm shift.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This will be a fun game. This will be a stressful game. I believe this game will tell us a lot about the team we have in front of us. The Rangers, despite losing, are still a good team. They are a beast of a road team. They had the best road record IIRC down the stretch and we historically are not a home ice advantage opportunists.

I'd bet your paycheck and mine that the Rangers come out absolutely flying. They know they are good, they know they are talented, they know they have speed, and they know we have the momentum. They will want it back...quickly. That first 5 to 10 minutes we are going to have to weather quite a storm. Fleury has to be sharp with those first saves. Defense has to make smart decisions, forwards have to skate fast, get it deep, and try to put as much pressure on the King as they can. Either way, we need to come out of the first period with a chance. Down 2 or more, that's game.

Have to cut the penalties. This is where it gets nerve racking. Because the Rangers have speed and they will be coming out hungry, that only increases the odds of us taking stick penalties. Their speed forces us to. Yes, we can cut down on the slashes, but when it's all said and done we have to beat the refs as well. And that's completely on us. I believe the Rangers' PP doesn't falter this game. If we give them another 6-7 PPs, they will pot 3 or 4. Our top notch PK doesn't last forever in the playoffs.

With that, when we get our PP, we are good enough to hurt them every single time. We need to. A 50%+ PP could be a real difference maker. 5 on 5, we are playing them very even. Special teams could turn the tide.

Here's what I would like to see this game:

1. When the puck is cycled to the points, they shoot. One cross ice pass to the other is acceptable but every time those dmen touch the puck they need to be looking to shoot. Don't care about their shot, just get the pucks to the net. We don't have the mobile, PMDs to be cute with it. You get it, you shoot. Crash the net, look for the rebounds. Doesn't go in, win board battles, get it back.

2. When you go three men down low, one of them needs to be conscious of getting to the front of the net. Too many times I have watched them get the puck with three guys low...and the play stops there because there's no outlet. You get possession and you don't have the puck, park your arse in front of that net.

3. Keep up the gritty in your face play. I think we're inside Yandle's head. Lundy can collapse if you pressure him, Nash isn't exactly lighting it up...keep on them. That's been a down fall for us for several years. Their guys harass on our stars and they get off their games. Let's turn the tables this year.

4. Team resolve. Have fun out there. Rangers were predicted in 4-5 games...and this is a lot closer than a lot of us anticipated. Have fun with it. Play without fear. There's little to no pressure...so leave it all on the ice. If you get down one, don't implode. Get it back. Skate that much faster, hit that much harder, shoot that much more. There's no reason to implode anymore. Expect they will come out as fast as any team ever...fight back just as hard. Throw their game right back in their faces. This is a winnable series...just keep your heads about you.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
This will be a fun game. This will be a stressful game. I believe this game will tell us a lot about the team we have in front of us. The Rangers, despite losing, are still a good team. They are a beast of a road team. They had the best road record IIRC down the stretch and we historically are not a home ice advantage opportunists.

I'd bet your paycheck and mine that the Rangers come out absolutely flying. They know they are good, they know they are talented, they know they have speed, and they know we have the momentum. They will want it back...quickly. That first 5 to 10 minutes we are going to have to weather quite a storm. Fleury has to be sharp with those first saves. Defense has to make smart decisions, forwards have to skate fast, get it deep, and try to put as much pressure on the King as they can. Either way, we need to come out of the first period with a chance. Down 2 or more, that's game.

Have to cut the penalties. This is where it gets nerve racking. Because the Rangers have speed and they will be coming out hungry, that only increases the odds of us taking stick penalties. Their speed forces us to. Yes, we can cut down on the slashes, but when it's all said and done we have to beat the refs as well. And that's completely on us. I believe the Rangers' PP doesn't falter this game. If we give them another 6-7 PPs, they will pot 3 or 4. Our top notch PK doesn't last forever in the playoffs.

With that, when we get our PP, we are good enough to hurt them every single time. We need to. A 50%+ PP could be a real difference maker. 5 on 5, we are playing them very even. Special teams could turn the tide.

Here's what I would like to see this game:

1. When the puck is cycled to the points, they shoot. One cross ice pass to the other is acceptable but every time those dmen touch the puck they need to be looking to shoot. Don't care about their shot, just get the pucks to the net. We don't have the mobile, PMDs to be cute with it. You get it, you shoot. Crash the net, look for the rebounds. Doesn't go in, win board battles, get it back.

2. When you go three men down low, one of them needs to be conscious of getting to the front of the net. Too many times I have watched them get the puck with three guys low...and the play stops there because there's no outlet. You get possession and you don't have the puck, park your arse in front of that net.

3. Keep up the gritty in your face play. I think we're inside Yandle's head. Lundy can collapse if you pressure him, Nash isn't exactly lighting it up...keep on them. That's been a down fall for us for several years. Their guys harass on our stars and they get off their games. Let's turn the tables this year.

4. Team resolve. Have fun out there. Rangers were predicted in 4-5 games...and this is a lot closer than a lot of us anticipated. Have fun with it. Play without fear. There's little to no pressure...so leave it all on the ice. If you get down one, don't implode. Get it back. Skate that much faster, hit that much harder, shoot that much more. There's no reason to implode anymore. Expect they will come out as fast as any team ever...fight back just as hard. Throw their game right back in their faces. This is a winnable series...just keep your heads about you.

good post

This series is won or lost but cycling the puck and general puck control. It's cliche, but that is our game, with or without the Letangs/Ehrhoffs/Maattas, and if we are doing this we can get our star players going, and have the other team frustrated and drawing penalties as opposed to us. The way the last two games have gone, this series is absolutely winnable.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think the Pens are gonna come out strong, and stay strong. They have looked damn good this series -- besides the penalties -- controlling most of the play most periods. We still have major lapses in defense that Fleury has had to pull huge saves out his ASS, but that's what he's there for.

Finally playing with some heart and will. 1st and 4th lines look really awesome. Dumo and Chorney look great for the minutes they are getting, and Cole is just a stud. What a trade that was...

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I can't help but be kind of sad thinking about a Letang-Maatta top pairing for the PO's. I still the Pens can pull this out but man, those are two enormous difference makers.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Watched the first game, but I wasn't able to watch the 2nd game. Do I take one for the team and sit this one out too fellas?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Leave Dumo and Chorney alone. They have been playing OK.

As a Scuds critic, I wouldn't even replace him with either DP or Erhoff. Let DP and Erhoff just enjoy the press box.

This D got you to 1-1. Even if they lose the next 3, they are giving it their best shot.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Leave Dumo and Chorney alone. They have been playing OK.

As a Scuds critic, I wouldn't even replace him with either DP or Erhoff. Let DP and Erhoff just enjoy the press box.

This D got you to 1-1. Even if they lose the next 3, they are giving it their best shot.

They won in spite of Scuderi, not because of him.

I'd still sit him...easily.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Personally, If either of DP or Ehrhoff are healthy to play I'm sitting whoever is not contributing much at forward and dressing 7 D-men for that first game. Double shifting Sid and Geno can pick up that slack, and they have since they've been shortening the bench anyways.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

Agreed 100%. But they will most likely do something completely idiotic, like sit Cole or something.

In reality, my best guess would be Dumolin to sit. Scuds plays with Chorney and Ehrhoff/Pouliot plays with Cole.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I would too, But in 85 games Scuds has not missed a game. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what we think, the powers that be think he is something. If scuds would sit, I would put in Erhoff and not DP.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Personally, If either of DP or Ehrhoff are healthy to play I'm sitting whoever is not contributing much at forward and dressing 7 D-men for that first game. Double shifting Sid and Geno can pick up that slack, and they have since they've been shortening the bench anyways.

I'd be okay with that.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Agreed 100%. But they will most likely do something completely idiotic, like sit Cole or something.

In reality, my best guess would be Dumolin to sit. Scuds plays with Chorney and Ehrhoff/Pouliot plays with Cole.

When Pouliot and Ehrhoff come back, Chorney and Dumo will sit....simple as that. Not how it should be, but you know. The Pens do some weird ****.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

The 4th line has looked really good actually. I don't think it would be smart to sit Lappy, since he is a faceoff monster and has brought insane amounts of energy to the bench.

It may be Spaling? I doubt that as well. They won't sit any PKers.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
When Pouliot and Ehrhoff come back, Chorney and Dumo will sit....simple as that. Not how it should be, but you know. The Pens do some weird ****.

Yepp, and Cole will be back down to 10-13 minutes, when he has looked like our most steady defenseman of late, depsite playing 23-25 minutes per game.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yepp, and Cole will be back down to 10-13 minutes, when he has looked like our most steady defenseman of late, depsite playing 23-25 minutes per game.

The 4th line has looked really good actually. I don't think it would be smart to sit Lappy, since he is a faceoff monster and has brought insane amounts of energy to the bench.

They'd most likely sit Bennett/Downie...since they don't play much anyways...imo.

Indeed...Scuderi should sit...but you know. Veteranosity...experience and all that.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I have no idea what this coach will do.....but they need some good puck movers on the backend bad. (and some speed)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

You know who would be sat in this situation.

Beau would be the one. He does nothing for you sitting on the bench for 54/55 minutes. He doesn't kill penalties, no 2nd PP time. He's a straight 5 on 5 break giver. As much as he's looked ok he has made mistakes as well.

Some may not like that but I'd rather win than worry about peoples feelings.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

And sadly that makes the defense worse.

I was even thinking... Letang had a great year, but he might have had a bad series here. The Pens are keeping it simple and boring... and it's actually working. With Tangers, the Rangers would have been allowed to play their game a little more. It's weird to say, but the lack of transition seems to actually help the Pens because it's keeping the Rangers away from their game. It's very weird.

I would have thought the Rangers would blow up our wall, but our defense is just pounding the puck up the half board and we are getting lucky bounces that spring us for 3 on 2s. Rangers defense started playing back a little and it's opening up our transition.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I have no idea what this coach will do.....but they need some good puck movers on the backend bad. (and some speed)

A poster brought up an interesting point...the lack of speed on the backend may actually be helping the Pens at this point. They really don't have the team speed to keep up with the Rangers, regardless of who's playing defense. So at this point, their best chance is to slow things down....trying to minimize the speed of the Rangers.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
And sadly that makes the defense worse.

I was even thinking... Letang had a great year, but he might have had a bad series here. The Pens are keeping it simple and boring... and it's actually working. With Tangers, the Rangers would have been allowed to play their game a little more. It's weird to say, but the lack of transition seems to actually help the Pens because it's keeping the Rangers away from their game. It's very weird.

I would have thought the Rangers would blow up our wall, but our defense is just pounding the puck up the half board and we are getting lucky bounces that spring us for 3 on 2s. Rangers defense started playing back a little and it's opening up our transition.

Yes, I agree, and I literally just said that :laugh:

You put it more eloquently than I could however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad