GDT: Game 3: Golden Knights @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ - Premium Edition

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton looks like the Coyotes 2nd best forward already. I don't know what dark magic Chayka is using to project these guys but it's working.
RT said he wasn't ready for the first two games. That evaluation is just a bit off.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So Hayton shouldn't sit until he has a stinker, or probably more like several.
Crouse shouldn't sit when healthy

RIP Fischer.
Fischer played a pretty good game, for him, but why does he still get a sniff on the PP. Every player got PP time except Garland, who scored two goals, and DVO who was playing very good.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
How was the crowd last night? Looked relatively full?

Good crowd. It's a short drive. :naughty:

upload_2019-10-11_8-39-37.png

Reactions: SR

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I had totally forgotten about the rule change to coaching challenges. That’s a lot more of a risk now than losing a time out. It was 2-1 at that point and we were giving a PP on fresh ice to a very good PP unit.

Hopefully this leads to a decrease in challenges because I hate this rule.
I agree. I don't know why RT decided to challenge that. It was clear from the replay to me that he didn't interfere. That could have hurt us if they scored on the PP.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kuemper's been real solid in these 3 games. Certainly showing last season wasn't a fluke so far.
I was a bit concerned about Kuemper when he signed his contract before play this year, but he has picked up where he left off last year. Now, if only Raanta can stay healthy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Best part about the team is the solid D, great goal tending and our GAA. If that continues, we are in good shape. Hayton looked solid to me, really good away from the puck and on D (unlike Strome). We had a few too many penalties, but other than that, a Solid win!
All that is fine and dandy, but with no PP we will not make the playoffs. Why are you comparing Hayton to Strome? Two totally different players. Compare him to your buddy Stepan. By the way, Strome had two points tonight. Just sayin.;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had totally forgotten about the rule change to coaching challenges. That’s a lot more of a risk now than losing a time out. It was 2-1 at that point and we were giving a PP on fresh ice to a very good PP unit.

Hopefully this leads to a decrease in challenges because I hate this rule.
I love the rule. I was getting tired of coaches challenging everything. It slowed the game down.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I was a bit concerned about Kuemper when he signed his contract before play this year, but he has picked up where he left off last year. Now, if only Raanta can stay healthy.

Darcy has clearly demonstrated to me that he is starter material. We could sure use Raanta's $4.25 mil to improve other aspects of the team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
All that is fine and dandy, but with no PP we will not make the playoffs. Why are you comparing Hayton to Strome? Two totally different players. Compare him to your buddy Stepan. By the way, Strome had two points tonight. Just sayin.;)
We can make the playoffs with a strong D, low GAA and a weak PP. Hayton is like Stepan, but with more upside (we hope). Hayton kind of reminds me of Ribs, pretty crafty. Play without the puck keeps you in the line up, thats why I think hayton might stay in the line up, but we will see.

D isn't required in Chicago, the winless sharks had 5 goals, but I am sure it would have been more without the shutdown 3C (Strome) in the line up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He looked shakey to me in the first period, out of position a lot, and frankly lucky. He played great in the second and third periods.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not many game notes from me. I asked for a win and got one, so I'm backing off the ledge. :D

I liked the compete level last night. Really, I've liked the compete level in all three games this season. The way the Coyotes seem into the game at all times reminds me a lot of 2012. It's a different feel from the past few seasons. So why did it feel like nothing happened in the first two games but tonight it did? Puck luck, maybe getting off the schneid with Garland's first goal? Could be.

I'll say this, though - Hayton can't go back to juniors. Between last night and the preseason action I saw him in, it'd be a wasted trip. He's definitely NHL ready. I don't know if we can expect him to produce a Calder Trophy season, but the eye test certainly made the case for him to stick. Man, is he ever smart on the ice. Moreover, he elevates the games of his linemates - he looked like he created more space for them to get into position than you'd expect from a rookie.

The question then becomes, who sits to let him play? For my money it'd be Hinostroza or Fischer. Fischer had a great screen on Hjalmarsson's goal but to be frank his play overall reeks of 13th forward. As for Vinnie, he's got speed for days but last night I found myself questioning his situational awareness several times. Kind of a smaller, more agile Enver Lisin. He's in a contract year so I think as the season goes on he's going to need to wake up a bit, or else Jan Jenik might steal his spot.

Hoping we can get back to .500 in Colorado tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad