GDT: Game 3: Golden Knights @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ - Premium Edition

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It's definitely more fun to watch a win! Glad the team won and also got some goals while doing so... even Hammer getting in on that! Which is fantastic haha.

I don't know if it's just luck that they score more in this game vs the other or if they just did a better job getting into the dirty areas around the net. But I'll take it!

Only things I wish happened differently... Grabs, Keller and Stepan could have finished their breakaways. Keller in particular has been set up with a handful this year so far and hasn't been able to bury one (Grabs too actually). He needs to also get off the schneid and break that seal... open the dams and let the goals flow!

Also, love the new Yote hat for the post win celebrations... makes it unique to the Yotes for sure.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not many game notes from me. I asked for a win and got one, so I'm backing off the ledge. :D

I liked the compete level last night. Really, I've liked the compete level in all three games this season. The way the Coyotes seem into the game at all times reminds me a lot of 2012. It's a different feel from the past few seasons. So why did it feel like nothing happened in the first two games but tonight it did? Puck luck, maybe getting off the schneid with Garland's first goal? Could be.

I'll say this, though - Hayton can't go back to juniors. Between last night and the preseason action I saw him in, it'd be a wasted trip. He's definitely NHL ready. I don't know if we can expect him to produce a Calder Trophy season, but the eye test certainly made the case for him to stick. Man, is he ever smart on the ice. Moreover, he elevates the games of his linemates - he looked like he created more space for them to get into position than you'd expect from a rookie.

The question then becomes, who sits to let him play? For my money it'd be Hinostroza or Fischer. Fischer had a great screen on Hjalmarsson's goal but to be frank his play overall reeks of 13th forward. As for Vinnie, he's got speed for days but last night I found myself questioning his situational awareness several times. Kind of a smaller, more agile Enver Lisin. He's in a contract year so I think as the season goes on he's going to need to wake up a bit, or else Jan Jenik might steal his spot.

Hoping we can get back to .500 in Colorado tomorrow.
Fischer and Hinostroza sometimes have the same net effect but Fischer’s is an average of peaks and valleys. Every game is a roller coaster with him. Hinostroza is so much less dramatic. I like him better. I’d sit Fischer.

Keller-Stepan-Kessel
Hayton-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Crouse-Soderberg-Garland
Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We can make the playoffs with a strong D, low GAA and a weak PP. Hayton is like Stepan, but with more upside (we hope). Hayton kind of reminds me of Ribs, pretty crafty. Play without the puck keeps you in the line up, thats why I think hayton might stay in the line up, but we will see.

D isn't required in Chicago, the winless sharks had 5 goals, but I am sure it would have been more without the shutdown 3C (Strome) in the line up.
There are a few players when they have the puck you feel comfortable that they will make a good play, like Kessel for example. I get that same feeling with Hayton last night, even though it was a very small sample. He is good on his skates and you can tell his hockey IQ is very high. Since you can't seem to let Strome go, do I have to remind you he is not a shutdown C, never was thought to be a shutdown C, only RT wanted him to be. Now in Chicago he is put in a role that fits his style.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not many game notes from me. I asked for a win and got one, so I'm backing off the ledge. :D

I liked the compete level last night. Really, I've liked the compete level in all three games this season. The way the Coyotes seem into the game at all times reminds me a lot of 2012. It's a different feel from the past few seasons. So why did it feel like nothing happened in the first two games but tonight it did? Puck luck, maybe getting off the schneid with Garland's first goal? Could be.

I'll say this, though - Hayton can't go back to juniors. Between last night and the preseason action I saw him in, it'd be a wasted trip. He's definitely NHL ready. I don't know if we can expect him to produce a Calder Trophy season, but the eye test certainly made the case for him to stick. Man, is he ever smart on the ice. Moreover, he elevates the games of his linemates - he looked like he created more space for them to get into position than you'd expect from a rookie.

The question then becomes, who sits to let him play? For my money it'd be Hinostroza or Fischer. Fischer had a great screen on Hjalmarsson's goal but to be frank his play overall reeks of 13th forward. As for Vinnie, he's got speed for days but last night I found myself questioning his situational awareness several times. Kind of a smaller, more agile Enver Lisin. He's in a contract year so I think as the season goes on he's going to need to wake up a bit, or else Jan Jenik might steal his spot.

Hoping we can get back to .500 in Colorado tomorrow.
Good post. We now have competition at different spots so let the cream rise to the top.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Fischer and Hinostroza sometimes have the same net effect but Fischer’s is an average of peaks and valleys. Every game is a roller coaster with him. Hinostroza is so much less dramatic. I like him better. I’d sit Fischer.

I think I'd be contextual about it. One thing Fischer can do with that size that he has but never uses the way most hockey people would expect him to is be a net-front presence. So in games where the staff feels like it's going to be a slugfest, I'd have Fischer in for that reason. In games where pure speed is going to be a difference, run with Hinostroza.

Having Fischer/Hinostroza be the extra forward works fine for me. Just keep Hayton in the game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Important to remember the lack of consistency in Garland’s game too. He runs hot and cold. That’s a good thing for Hayton, Hinostroza, and Fischer. Also, injuries are inevitable.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Some thoughts I had on last night's game:

I was honestly stunned to look up and see they had 38 shots on goal. Am I wrong or were those 38 soft shots? I felt like Keumper was rarely challenged and they didn't actually have many quality chances at a goal.

Garland was incredible last night. He works his tail off, hopefully he can do that more consistently this year.

Nice to see Schmaltz show up. I think that line of Hayton-Dvo-Schmaltz makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels and hope we continue to see it. The mute line could be a fun one to watch

I think we've been surprisingly more physical this year. Goligoski and Chychrun specifically weren't shying away from contact last night, which should help us. Especially if Crouse is going to be someone we scratch consistently

I see some hate for Vinnie going on in this thread, but honestly I'm not entirely sure why. Watching last night's game I thought that we might actually be limiting his offensive potential on his line with Richy and Grabner. I'd like to shuffle him around a little to see what kind of production we could get out of him.

Fish looked good last night, I feel like I don't get to say that very often. Great game to look back on when he struggles to remind me he's still a very young player too

All in all a great game. We outplayed them by a bit, hopefully we can continue it in Colorado

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Has Fischer ever thrown a punch in anger in his life? I don’t think he’s any more or less likely to jump into a fray than Hinostroza or anyone else on the team.

I wasn't talking about Fischer being gritty or fighting. But he's bigger than Hinostroza and is harder to root out of the slot. Hinostroza is a perimeter player. So again, it'd be a matter of game planning to see which toolset would be more impactful in a given scenario.

Important to remember the lack of consistency in Garland’s game too. He runs hot and cold. That’s a good thing for Hayton, Hinostroza, and Fischer. Also, injuries are inevitable.

Agreed. Having three players who can bring net front presence, speed and agility, and energy and scoring touch depending on need (Fischer, Hino, Garland respectively) but who can also sit a game or two without penalty to the core is a good depth situation to have.

I was honestly stunned to look up and see they had 38 shots on goal. Am I wrong or were those 38 soft shots? I felt like Keumper was rarely challenged and they didn't actually have many quality chances at a goal.

IIRC the vast majority of Vegas' shots were taken on the power play. 5-on-5 they didn't have much for us.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Coyotes played perhaps the best all around game that I have seen, but for some unnecessary penalties.

On 5 on 5 and 4 on 5 they were positionally sound. Hayton knew what he was doing and played a structurally sound game. His phenomenal one handed pass for his assist was bloody brilliant or sheer luck. I’m not sure which.

The aggressive D was tenacious without taking unnecessary risks. The defensemen didn’t make mistakes when they pinched.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
D isn't required in Chicago, the winless sharks had 5 goals, but I am sure it would have been more without the shutdown 3C (Strome) in the line up.

Strome was +3 and had two points in a 5-4 loss...

But I'm sure you knew that as a season ticket holder on the glass at the home opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
My washer flooded the carpet just before game time so basically ran out to the tv whenever I heard something loud lol. For that reason I cant comment much but glad they didnt let things get too far behind. Vegas is rather dinged up but a good win for sure. Were they physical? It doesnt sound like they were their usual nasty.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My washer flooded the carpet just before game time so basically ran out to the tv whenever I heard something loud lol. For that reason I cant comment much but glad they didnt let things get too far behind. Vegas is rather dinged up but a good win for sure. Were they physical? It doesnt sound like they were their usual nasty.

Vegas wasn’t..... surprisingly but a lot of it could be due to our guys buzzing around so much they weren’t still long enough to make good targets.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Finally got to see it, unspoiled.

Fantastic.

PP still needs some work though, rather telling the commentator thinks it's icing by the other team when they clear it out against it. "Icing! Oh, forget it, we had a PP". :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Darcy has clearly demonstrated to me that he is starter material. We could sure use Raanta's $4.25 mil to improve other aspects of the team.
If Raanta can stay healthy I think he is the better goalie. Time will tell on both fronts.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Raanta can stay healthy I think he is the better goalie. Time will tell on both fronts.
Maybe, but Raanta has never been able to complete a starters amount of games in the NHL, Kuemper has, at least once, last year. Raanta was hurt early again this year. I just think he is prone to injuries like Hanzal was all the time, unlike OEL/Yandle. His injury history will hurt his trade value even if he plays well this year.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Goalies have little trade value even when healthy. If the plan is to dump him, there's not much point in trying to rehab him first, imo. Just turn that page.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Great win last night. What a way to bounce back from a couple close losses. I always enjoy when we beat Vegas.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad