GDT: Game 3 - CBJ (0-2-0) vs BUF (2-0-0) - October 7, 7pm

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think this team needs confidence before we can say what they truly are. Give them 5 more games, see what shows up. Also, Jenner Foligno and Andy need to be dished out on each of the first three lines. All of those guys are leaders and bring confidence where I believe a lot of these other new guys/young guys are looking for someone else for a reason to be confident. They should be spread out until this team finds some footing.

100% all of this.

I also believe the bolded, but, for somewhat different reasons. I actually dont really like the trio offensively. They each have 2 main strengths to their offensive games that I think affects the overall effectiveness of the line as a whole... 1) They each have a good miture of size/strength/grit and actual skill and what makes them effective is that they CAN swap quickly between the 2 "different" mindsets or mesh them together well. When they play together, they seem to force the "cycle"/ "grind it out" offensive strategy a bit much. 2) Imo, 1 huge strength each of the 3 guys has is the ability to do things quite well offensively-individually, and this is just a very simple thing added to the concept of them being leaders and that not only will they add "leadership" and "experience" to a line, but, they also add a (imo proven) legit NHL "line driver" to each line.

To add, I think Bjorkstrand and Bemstrom need to be split up for essentially the opposite reasons, but also simply need to be used higher in the lineup, with "better" players. They need to find and get to open space and the team needs to get them the puck.

Wennberg ruins essentially any line he is on, or at least does the best he can do to ruin it. Wholeheartedly believe the team would be better off with him not dressing.

Our Top 4 is still LEGIT. I'd stick with Murray-Jones and commit heavily to them. I actually really like Werenski-Savard also. I'd probably go, or like to see, Gavrikov-Kukan at this point.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I can't wait to fire up the "Fire Torts" banter soon. :neener:

Just kidding, hope they bounce back.

I believe you actually may be responsible for how soon it has seemed to emerge in this thread.

You or Merzlikins, either/or.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'll disagree with the pessimism about "leaning on Jenner or, lord forbid, Foligno." Those guys have been leaned on a lot more than Wennberg, despite the fact that Wennberg, who plays a lot fewer minutes, gets labeled as 2C. And Jenner is a decent 2C in my opinion. Most 2Cs aren't racking up 50+ points, our standards are out of whack on this. And Foligno is terribly inconsistent in terms of point production, but I tend to think he's a fine 3C if called upon.

If we're discussing top six production roles we should be moving beyond that for Foligno, especially 19 minutes a night. I was not pessimistic about "leaning on Jenner". Torts has generally had Jenner lower on the depth chart. Our current depth chart would have Jenner slotted as our 3rd center and, generally, not playing with our more productive forwards.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Stone is incredible. I think we might have won the cup with him, he's that much better than Duchene. But it's hard to know if he was willing to sign an extension here or not. His signing in Vegas doesn't tell us anything about his thoughts on signing in Columbus. We don't have the info to judge the FO on this one.

As I said, he's the one we should have probably went after for he, at least, was willing to discuss a long term extension.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And you've reached your hyperbole quota for the entire season. Only took 2 games. :p

Honestly, for us this has been pretty calm from what I've seen.

Lets wait to see if BUF goes up 1-0, then we'll talk.

Then again, "Vezina Korpisalo" might show up and I'm sure I'll be doin all the talking.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we're discussing top six production roles we should be moving beyond that for Foligno, especially 19 minutes a night. I was not pessimistic about "leaning on Jenner". Torts has generally had Jenner lower on the depth chart. Our current depth chart would have Jenner slotted as our 3rd center and, generally, not playing with our more productive forwards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lower on the depth chart". He plays Jenner about 20% more than Wennberg, overall and at even strength. Does Torts number his lines? I don't know where this idea comes from that Wennberg is ahead of Jenner on the depth chart.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure what you mean by "lower on the depth chart". He plays Jenner about 20% more than Wennberg, overall and at even strength. Does Torts number his lines? I don't know where this idea comes from that Wennberg is ahead of Jenner on the depth chart.

Oy vey

pled

Sep 7, 2009
tonight line :

nyquist PLD Cam
Cap Bone Bem
Tex Wenn Bjork
Lilja Nash Milano

Zach Jones
Murray Savy
Gav Nut

Korpi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Tonight we will win and Jarmo himself will start building a statue of Korpi outside of Nationwide Arena.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
tonight line :

nyquist PLD Cam
Cap Bone Bem
Tex Wenn Bjork
Lilja Nash Milano

Zach Jones
Murray Savy
Gav Nut

Korpi

I like those lines. I think it should be a better fit for both Nyquist and Texier, and hopefully for Bemstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad