Pre-Game Talk: Game 3, Buffalo Sabres at Columbus Blue Jackets, 10/7 7:00 p.m. EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Krueger has this team playing like every game matters.

Love it
There will be games when things go stale for a bit. It happens to the best of them. Just need to hope Krueger can regain the focus in the locker room, Nd not have a slide like they did after the 10 game win streak.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
There will be games when things go stale for a bit. It happens to the best of them. Just need to hope Krueger can regain the focus in the locker room, Nd not have a slide like they did after the 10 game win streak.

Exactly this. This is a talented team with potentially a good system/coach. Just because we have a bad game, let's not panic and just see how they respond.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Even though Jack was pointless in the opener he played fantastic. Great at the dot, blanketed Crosby and could have had several points. Murray played great to only allow 3 goals.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I missed a lot of the opener because wedding rehearsal dinner; Jack was solid with the d play? The stat line was definitely good.

Helped contain Crosby to one shot. Though he had one assist on the PP, which I don't think Eichel (had 4 shots himself) was out there for (I could be wrong).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I missed a lot of the opener because wedding rehearsal dinner; Jack was solid with the d play? The stat line was definitely good.

Yep. He did the things we have wanted - strong on the puck, involved in winning possession, etc.... And his line still had a couple of great chances. There was no sacrifice of offensive opportunities.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
(WGR 550) - The Sabres are only making one change to their lineup tonight. Ralph Krueger told reporters that Linus Ullmark will gets his first start of the season in goal. The lines and defense are the same with Evan Rodrigues and John Gilmour the healthy scratches.

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
From this article - Sabres look to go 3-0 in Columbus

- "Ralph Krueger had dinner with Okposo before training camp and said he’s embraced his role every since, “From Day 1 in every practice since the 13th of September, he has been attempting to do exactly what we’re asking in every drill understanding that what we need from him is possibly different from the past, but his attitude through this is what’s carrying him and Kyle is a tool we can use for adjustments too.”
Okposo has been one of the alternate captains for a few years here, but Ralph Krueger gave the A’s to Marcus Johansson and Jake McCabe. Okposo is not upset about it at all, “It’s all right, I think it’s a tremendous opportunity for Jake and Marcus to step up. Jake’s the kind of guy that does everything right and he’s put his dues in and is getting more vocal.
“I’ve been in the league, I mean this is my 12th full year I think and worn a letter for a lot of them, but that doesn’t change who I am as a person if I have it or I don’t.”
I remember Jason Pominville telling me when he came back from Minnesota that he didn’t need a letter to be a leader on the team. Okposo totally agrees with that, “That’s right, you’re not going to change who you are because you have one or you don’t and I think that’s a big lesson for guys.”

You’d be hard pressed to go back in Sabres history and find two better games played to start the season. Okposo said the confidence began before they even dropped the puck in Pittsburgh, “Right now we have a really good buy in into our system and I don’t remember a time in my career where we’ve gone into Pittsburgh and played that well and just given them nothing, so that was a bit of an eye opener for me just to go into that building against a tough team when you’ve got 71 and 87 at the helm and really dominate the game and it was a ton of fun.”
Krueger has given that line a defined role, but he thinks they’ve exceeded it, “If you look at what they’ve been doing here in the first two games they lead the way in really playing simple, hard forechecking, they’re getting the pucks in deep, they’re getting on it, they’re having some strong offensive shifts, Saturday they were 5-to-1 in scoring chances.”

- Two points about this...1) as I have posted many times here, wearing a letter on a sweater doesn't determine who is or isn't a leader on the team. Leaderships transcends which jersey a letter is sewn on. 2) There is a lot of found money on this roster once they play an aggressive, yet more defensively responsible game. Pressure defense generates offense, but this team played scared low event, or overly complicated hockey for too long under previous HCs. The talent on the roster is well above what the results have shown the last few years, and five additions this summer bolster that.

Reactions: dire wolf

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I’m so terrified that the wheels will come off. Feels too good to be true.

Please be wrong, please be wrong, please be wrong...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Go Sabres.

These guys are confident right now. Keep playing with that McCabe-smiling swagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad