Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - Blues @ Chicago - MON 04/21/2014 7:30 PM (Mod warning post 37)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hopefully they keep the win it for Backes mentality. Before these 2 comebacks, I would've expected them to complete fall apart like we did when Pietrangelo got hurt against the Kings.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Granted, we're screwed when we play the Avs, Ducks, Kings, or Sharks now.

We'll have to deal with Colorado first, and I'm not seeing any significant reasons to fear them. Everyone can go crazy about them but they have had a pair of 1 goal wins against Minnesota. I'm more worried about finishing this series off than I would be about our chances again the Avs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We'll have to deal with Colorado first, and I'm not seeing any significant reasons to fear them. Everyone can go crazy about them but they have had a pair of 1 goal wins against Minnesota. I'm more worried about finishing this series off than I would be about our chances again the Avs.

We should be better off against them, but not having Backes' defensive ability against the Duchene and/or Stastny line will hurt. Overall, we should still be good enough against them, but it won't be as decisive.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Losing Backes would definitely hurt against Colorado if we make it that far, but their defense is horrible. Outside of EJ and Barrie they have nothing. We should definitely beat them even without Backes.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Who knows Yeo might put Rupp in the lineup, he could maybe do some damage for us.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Read the Hawks board, but do post, seriously don't ******* post, but just get an idea for their knowledgeable posters and their dumb ones. It will do everyone a lot of good if we know who can have a reasonable discussion and who to ignore. There suspension thread clearly displays the difference amongst their posters.

GrandPapillon*

Losing Backes would definitely hurt against Colorado if we make it that far, but their defense is horrible. Outside of EJ and Barrie they have nothing. We should definitely beat them even without Backes.

I'm more worried about finishing off Chicago before I even look ahead to who may be next. Winning an overtime game from Steen and game 2 on a late goal from the unexpected source of Jackman should put us in good position, but the same scenario happened last year before we got beat 4 in a row by the Kings.

That said, if we do play Colorado next, I would be more concerned if Backes played than if he didn't. If Backes did talk his way back into our lineup, I have little doubt that Roy and the other scum in Colorado would put a bounty of some kind on him especially if he is vulnerable.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm more worried about finishing off Chicago before I even look ahead to who may be next. Winning an overtime game from Steen and game 2 on a late goal from the unexpected source of Jackman should put us in good position, but the same scenario happened last year before we got beat 4 in a row by the Kings.

That said, if we do play Colorado next, I would be more concerned if Backes played than if he didn't. If Backes did talk his way back into our lineup, I have little doubt that Roy and the other scum in Colorado would put a bounty of some kind on him especially if he is vulnerable.
I'm worried about finishing off Chicago too. Which is why I included the statement about if we make it that far.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I can't seem to get the Backes hit out of my mind. I'm furious about the obvious intentional and flagrant hit that could potentially end a great players career. Add to that the knee to knee contact on Sobotka and one starts to wonder if there is a concerted effort to inflict injury in order to gain an advantage.

Just a quick refresher, the NFL found Saints players allegedly earned bonuses for inflicting injuries on opposing players that forced them to leave games; however, none of the hits in question were ever penalized or deemed illegal by in-game officials.

Although the Hawks are probably not earning bonuses for inflicting injuries on opposing players, they certainly took a run at two of our top players. And just like the Saints, these types of incidents can spell a early exit for a teams playoff hopes.

Frankly, I could care less that this is a playoff game and the refs need to "let them play". We as fans need fair play. We want to beat the Hawks fair and square. Not calling penalties or not properly suspending flagrant violators corrupts the game.

I'm not saying this is the same thing as the Saints. It just make me wonder if the Hawks are purposely head hunting our marque players in hopes of weakening our team to the point that they will easily win the first round. Who's next on their hit list?

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Frankly, I could care less that this is a playoff game and the refs need to "let them play". We as fans need fair play. We want to beat the Hawks fair and square. Not calling penalties or not properly suspending flagrant violators corrupts the game.

I agree completely with this, regardless of the hit on Backes.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

If you want to dwell on the past, of a Blues team with a completely different roster & key players, then why not bring up the fact that the last 2 consecutive times we've met Chicago in the playoffs we've owned them, 4-0 & 4-1. Ancient history is ancient history as far as I'm concerned, of course that's just my opinion.

Yeah we blew a 2 game lead last year, but we didn't have Frank and Schwartz at the level they're playing at now. We didn't have Steen having a career year. The little guy with gumption wasn't playing at the level he is this year. We didn't have Morrow who has been a key contributor for us all year, who has big time PO experience. We didn't have Lappy, who has been fantastic since the PO's started & we had Elliot with Halak backing him up in net. I'd say that's a much different team between last year and this year.

Last edited:

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Stay with me for a moment as I engage in rampant speculation:

Hitch was cryptic prior to Oshie’s return, and today he was cryptic about Backes’ status for Game 3.

The Blues will hold a morning skate on Monday, Apr. 21 at 11:30 a.m. at United Center tomorrow. So in theory, the Blues should already flown or be in the process of flying to Chicago. There have been no tweets or information leaking about whether or not Backes is making the trip.

I think it is certainly possible that the Blues have asked the local press to keep quiet and he is on the team flight. Local reporters (not to mention Kerbs, Panger, etc.) are often on these flights, so you think his presence or lack thereof would be newsworthy.

The night’s not over, but hmmmm…

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean I guess there is always a chance, but Hitch is cryptic on everything, so it could be either way.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Berglund played tomorrow though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My hope is that maybe it's like Brayden Schenn when he didn't miss anytime after having the similar collapse, get up, and collapse again aftermath when he got smoked by Wilson.

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
It does seem bizarre that we haven't had any updates from the band of idiots (JR/Korac/Strick) about whether Backes made the trip up to Chicago. I assume those guys travel with the team and would be able to scrounge up some kind of info. And I do agree, I thought it was interesting that Hitch wouldn't commit to anything beyond the fact that Backes couldn't play in a game today.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Either Hitch was Q to make a lineup based on Backes being there or they are keeping a potential return as quiet as possible.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Just now, per Kerbs show on KMOX, Blues arrived in Chicago earlier today (and the flight was a mere 45 minutes).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just now, per Kerbs show on KMOX, Blues arrived in Chicago earlier today (and the flight was a mere 45 minutes).

Yeah, I don't know if you've ever flown from St. Louis to Chicago, but the plan basically climbs to max elevation and then starts its descent.

It's actually faster to take a train in real-time since you have all the security and traffic with the airport.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Yeah, I don't know if you've ever flown from St. Louis to Chicago, but the plan basically climbs to max elevation and then starts its descent.

It's actually faster to take a train in real-time since you have all the security and traffic with the airport.

Last time I flew between St. Louis and Chicago, we literally were at cruising altitude for three minutes lol. We spent the entire flight climbing or descending.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Kerbs mention the short flight time to compare it to past playoffs against the Kings, Sharks, Yotes, etc.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, that is definitely a lot easier on the players, especially after all the minutes they've played.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Hawk's fan coming in peace. Sucks if Backes is out. Hate to see top players out in the PO.

I remember the Hawks/Nucks series in 2011 though. Rafi Torres blew up Seabrook in game 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko57O8CmeM).

Nucks were the #1 seed and went up 3-0 in the series. Hawks came out and won the next two games 7-2 and 5-0 with Seabrook out with concussion. They were a completely different team after that Torres hit. They were on fire. Went to game 7 and ended up losing in OT but could have easily taken that series down 3-0.

I see the Blues coming out on fire. #1 priority is Backes health, but I can see this bringing together the team.

Should be a battle the rest of the series.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Last time I flew between St. Louis and Chicago, we literally were at cruising altitude for three minutes lol. We spent the entire flight climbing or descending.

And this exactly why I never fly from Chicago to St. Louis anymore. The pressure changes are bad enough on the ear, but cruising at altutude for a few minutes and then descending again is no good for anyone's ears or their blood gas levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad