Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - Blues @ Chicago - MON 04/21/2014 7:30 PM (Mod warning post 37)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Aaron Ward just ripped into Keith on TSN about how he basically got away with murder that game and sooner or later Reaves would put a fist through his face. Well said and I agree with it all.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Considering the NHL announced the Seabrook hearing a while ago, I think it is safe to assume that Bickell will get nothing. Maximum Seabrook can get is 5 games, which is pretty unlikely. They aren't going to offer anything close to justice.

Screaming for blood is pointless, we have a series to win and how we played in OT showed their focus is on the right thing. But if the game is over late in the third on Monday, doesn't matter who is winning, all hell is going to break loose.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
One more thing, the NHL are going to demand that the referees on Monday call it tight. Hitchcock has to stress that to our players. Don't do anything stupid, let them take the early penalties and get the PP going.

A positive to come from this might be that the referees are going to start paying extra close attention to Keith from here on out, aside from the Seabrook hit he is getting the media focus and he'll actually play on Monday. I wouldn't expect the rest of this series to be called in the you would normally expect a playoff game to be called.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Considering the NHL announced the Seabrook hearing a while ago, I think it is safe to assume that Bickell will get nothing. Maximum Seabrook can get is 5 games, which is pretty unlikely. They aren't going to offer anything close to justice.

Screaming for blood is pointless, we have a series to win and how we played in OT showed their focus is on the right thing. But if the game is over late in the third on Monday, doesn't matter who is winning, all hell is going to break loose.

We arent exactly involved, so its up to the Blues players. We have no effect on any outcome, so its useless to argue against people screaming for blood on this board, but I want some. I want it in the form of winning this series. The Blues can deal with them next season.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Just want to say, as unlikey as it sounds, with Seabrook out our chance with Chicago even without Backes are still decent. Look we have great depth. Our fourth line has shutdown the Toews line for multiple shifts (don't forget every goal they scored today was garbage) Our winger depth is way better than theirs and their center depth is only better than ours to begin with b/c of Toews. Toews and Kane are clearly not 100% right now and most of our players are play damn good hockey. Our defense has been damn good and Miller has been great since the 1st period Thursday night. If we can get Backes back its a huge boost, even if he isn't 100%. The quicker we beat the Hawks the more time we have to rest. That rest is going to be key to getting player (maybe Backes) back in the lineup.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't really care what happens to Keith. He's a tool. He would piss his pants, throw a two hander, and skate away as fast as possible if Backes confronted him. I want a sweep badly.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
After watching the CBC feed on the main boards Toews definitely was chirping Backes because that's what set Steen off. Read his lips. He says, "show some bleeping class Johnny." Lost a lot of respect for him and I appreciate his game a great deal.

I despise that whole team.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't want to retaliate with cheap shots. Don't sink to their level. If you have a chance to line up on their *****es like Keith or Toews, by all means do it. But don't be an idiot like Seabrook and put the Hawks on a five minute power play.

Absolutely no excuse for whoever is trash talking Backes when he's with the trainers. That was disgusting. I get Hawk fans hate him (and to be fair it's not all of them) but to say he had that coming or it's good play by Seabrook is disgusting and it's a serious character flaw.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Seabrook cost his team the game quite honestly. I don't want to see the Blues fall victim to the same crap.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
We're doomed.

Start Elliott.

Steen to center.

Gotta get that third line going, put Oshie there.

Replace him with Reaves to "send a message."

We're not fast enough, pull Morrow for Pääjärvi.

More grit and sandpaper on the backend, better replace Jackman with Cole.

Doomed I say.

DOOMED!!!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
If it's a blowout, do what you gotta do. If it's close, keep it smart.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I understand that emotions are running high. But please remember; wishing illness or injury on anyone is not permissible. So cut that out right now. Same goes for circumventing the profanity filter.

Thank you.

BlackNBlue711

Jan 10, 2014
Florissant, MO
Miller will absolutely have to steal one of these two games in Chicago as someone said earlier. Now that I am calm, I honestly can say that they need to just focus on the task at hand and don't settle for dumb penalties. My prediction is that Backes will not return for this series. I think if anything he will come back by Game 2 or 3 of the next round.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I honestly believe we will see the team respond like they did when Backes went down with a concussion earlier in the season. When him and Steen were both hurt, Oshie, Shatty, Schwartz & Frank stepped up huge, and the team as a whole played some of their best most inspired hockey of the entire season. The Avs have "#WhyNotUs" now we have "#StepUpForTheCap" or "#Win4Cap"

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
The talk is that Seabrook has a phone hearing, so 5 games is the most he can get.

I hope that's exactly what Seabrook gets, 5 games.

If the Blues want to win 1 of the 2 on the road, after the loss of Backes 3 players need to step up and lead the way: Alexander Steen, TJ Oshie, and Ryan Miller. We need big time performances out of those 3 in addition to the other guys keep doing what they're doing. Let's go Blues.

Oh and I hope they put the body on Toews, Kane, and Keith early and often with hard but CLEAN hits.

Spot on. They need to elevate their game. Be physical but clean hits on their top players. Send a physical message but don't take stupid penalties or let your emotions get the best of you.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Seabrook better get 5 games, that hit was dirty as can be. Do whatever you can to take a game away from them at home. Hit them where it hurts on the scoreboard, then get your revenge next season in a meaningless game.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Im hoping Backes and Berglund are ready to play.

I cant believe some think Backes will be back, you guys did see him after the hit right? I have seen plenty of concussions in my line of work and that one was pretty bad. I hate watching it but look at it again, he's out cold, gets up staggering,and keeps trying to get his eyes to adjust. The Blues would be fools to let him get on the ice anytime soon, the NHL wouldn't allow it anyways. I pray I am wrong because we wont win the cup without center depth but I'm pretty sure we wont see him till next season.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I cant believe some think Backes will be back, you guys did see him after the hit right? I have seen plenty of concussions in my line of work and that one was pretty bad. I hate watching it but look at it again, he's out cold, gets up staggering,and keeps trying to get his eyes to adjust. The Blues would be fools to let him get on the ice anytime soon, the NHL wouldn't allow it anyways. I pray I am wrong because we wont win the cup without center depth but I'm pretty sure we wont see him till next season.

I disagree we can absolutely win the cup with the team as is, but we'll get Berglund back sooner rather than later. So all the better, everybody is really gonna step up now.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I disagree we can absolutely win the cup with the team as is, but we'll get Berglund back sooner rather than later. So all the better, everybody is really gonna step up now.
Not to put a damper on your optimisim, but we aren't winning a cup without Backes. We'd have to play a few good teams without our most important defensive forward. We have a decent chance to still finish Chicago, but after that is a toss up. I surely don't see us beating Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose or the Ducks without Backes. On top of that, Berglund is probably a non factor, the guy is already the world biggest cha cha and he is coming back from injury, I don't believe he can be successful or be effective in the playoffs. He was rarely willing to put his body through player before, coming off this injury he'll be to scared to hit anyone.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
This is where the series gets tough.

Hawks holding serve at home is very likely. Making game 5 do or die.

Hockey has the most grueling and compelling playoffs, bar none.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
With Backes' possible concussion I think it's critical we get Berglund back. If he's back, I'm thinking we should try moving Sobotka up into Backes' spot on the top line and slide Berglund in between 9 and 91. Berglund played some of his best hockey with those two this year.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Not to put a damper on your optimisim, but we aren't winning a cup without Backes. We'd have to play a few good teams without our most important defensive forward. We have a decent chance to still finish Chicago, but after that is a toss up. I surely don't see us beating Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose or the Ducks without Backes. On top of that, Berglund is probably a non factor, the guy is already the world biggest cha cha and he is coming back from injury, I don't believe he can be successful or be effective in the playoffs. He was rarely willing to put his body through player before, coming off this injury he'll be to scared to hit anyone.

I agree that it's unlikely for us to win the cup without Backes, but crazier things have happened. If we can get Berglund back, that will be a huge boost. That could let us slide Sonotka up to the top line. We may lose some of the offensive potential, but with Backes already wounded I think Sobotka could give us a pretty close overall level of play. I'd be comfortable with Berglund between Schwartz and Tarasenko. That's where he's played his best hockey this year.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Backes' possible concussion I think it's critical we get Berglund back. If he's back, I'm thinking we should try moving Sobotka up into Backes' spot on the top line and slide Berglund in between 9 and 91. Berglund played some of his best hockey with those two this year.

Berglund looked like an entirely different player after the Olympics. Hopefully he keeps that kind of game up when he gets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad