Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk Sanderson

Jun 14, 2014
Macoupin County, IL
J-bo was expecting pass from God :popcorn:

Swede thing!
giphy.gif

Is NBC paying for that advertisement on Roszival's lid?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm almost more annoyed at JBo for not covering his man on this play. Parayko made a mistake, no doubt. But JBo was in no-mans land.

I actually think this is what Hitchcock means by "reckless". Sacrificing "safe" to make a better break-out, or when in the zone to activate the defense at the risk of more counter-attacking options for the opponent when they're being defended by a forward. Bouwmeester made a judgement call that Parayko had that puck, but he was wrong.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Feels good...but Chicago has been in bigger holes than this and come back. Until the final nail is in the Hawk's coffin, the Blues can't let up an inch.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Feels good...but Chicago has been in bigger holes than this and come back. Until the final nail is in the Hawk's coffin, the Blues can't let up an inch.

No doubt about this and I assume the Blues are hard at work today. But there is literally nothing I can do to alter the series, so I'm enjoying the heck out of that win. Tomorrow I will go back to being nervous and uncomfortable the entire day. Such is life in the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What's so hard to understand...maybe he saw nowhere to shoot, and preferred to pass to Vova and keep possession, instead of giving Chicago
numbers the other way. Everything looks easier from the stands or your recliner than it does on the ice.
Half the net was wide open. If he goes to Crawford's high stick side it's a goal. Really not sure what the heck you're arguing, if Lehtera couldn't see that wide open space then that's his problem. And the place he would have shot it shouldn't have generated much of a rebound anyway.

Didn't think I'd see someone defend that awful pass but here we are. :laugh: What you are saying is the Blues made the right move in passing up what was probably their best scoring opportunity of the game JUST because you're worried that the 'Hawks might have a 4 on 2 going the other way. Right. If the Blues don't win that game, that play likely costs them. Tarasenko was at such a terrible angle.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What's so hard to understand...maybe he saw nowhere to shoot, and preferred to pass to Vova and keep possession, instead of giving Chicago
numbers the other way. Everything looks easier from the stands or your recliner than it does on the ice.

No hockey player on the planet should pass up a golden opportunity to tee one up between the hashmarks. This is basic fundamental stuff we're talking about.

Turk Sanderson

Jun 14, 2014
Macoupin County, IL
No hockey player on the planet should pass up a golden opportunity to tee one up between the hashmarks. This is basic fundamental stuff we're talking about.

That guy sees the ice better than anyone we've got, I'll trust his judgement every time... I'll even throw a couple of :laugh::laugh: in there too, since that is supposed to make one's point more valid???

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I'd really like to see Tarasenko shifted with Backes.

Been asking for this all year. They seem to have chemistry and Backes would deter a lot more hits on Tarasenko than any other center.

Unfortunately, he's our best shutdown center and Tarasenko doesn't play the shutdown role. Stastny could fill in, but Backes is definitely better.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Jbo didn't do anything wrong. On a face off win the defenseman always goes back as an outlet behind the net. He's not expecting Parayko to get stripped of the puck. There's really no one to blame but Parayko on the play.

So who's suppose to cover the wide open man in front of the net in case a situation such as this where a dman loses the puck?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So who's suppose to cover the wide open man in front of the net in case a situation such as this where a dman loses the puck?

For how that was setup, Bouwmeester had his help on the right, and Stastny had his help on the left, they covered the outlets. Fabbri should've pinched in to cover the middle. It's the oddity of the 4 on 4 faceoff, usually you want Fabbri heading up ice, and there is another forward to cover in the middle. You don't expect a center to lose on purpose and immediately dart towards the boards like Panarin. Usually that center is in a faceoff battle and Parayko would have more time to make a play.

It's essentially a trick play that works every once in awhile. I'm sure if we see Panarin take a faceoff again, our centerman will stay in the circle to make sure the same thing doesn't happen.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis

It's worth noting this was in 4 on 4 hockey. Coverage is a bit different. Parayko needs to handle the pass and get it either to Jaybo behind the net or to one of the wingers if they're open. Worst case he needs to clear it out of the zone or AT LEAST stall Panarin a little so Jaybo has time to get in the passing lane.

However even on 5 on 5 the defenseman is always going to be an outlet behind the net on a clean face off win like that. Panarin just played it really well and took Parayko off guard.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Half the net was wide open. If he goes to Crawford's high stick side it's a goal. Really not sure what the heck you're arguing, if Lehtera couldn't see that wide open space then that's his problem. And the place he would have shot it shouldn't have generated much of a rebound anyway.

Didn't think I'd see someone defend that awful pass but here we are. :laugh: What you are saying is the Blues made the right move in passing up what was probably their best scoring opportunity of the game JUST because you're worried that the 'Hawks might have a 4 on 2 going the other way. Right. If the Blues don't win that game, that play likely costs them. Tarasenko was at such a terrible angle.

I am usually one to defend guys' decision to pass instead if shoot, but that is 100% inexcusable. Shoot the one timer every time.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Once Panarin obtained body position on Parayko (between Parayko and the puck, and between Parayko and the net), Bouwmeester should have recognized the risk and started retreating to the front of the net.

There was enough time to read the developing action and recover at least partially. Even a single stride in that direction would have likely been enough, since he didn't miss the pass by that much to begin with, and he definitely had enough time for that.

Once he finally processes that Parayko has actually lost the battle, you see Bouwmeester twitch in Panarin's direction before stopping himself and trying to recover toward the net.

A slow read and a false step means he needs to share some blame, IMO.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Honestly it was a nice play by Panarin. Just darted into the corner after the drop and took Parayko by surprise.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Once Panarin obtained body position on Parayko (between Parayko and the puck, and between Parayko and the net), Bouwmeester should have recognized the risk and started retreating to the front of the net.

There was enough time to read the developing action and recover at least partially. Even a single stride in that direction would have likely been enough, since he didn't miss the pass by that much to begin with, and he definitely had enough time for that.

Once he finally processes that Parayko has actually lost the battle, you see Bouwmeester twitch in Panarin's direction before stopping himself and trying to recover toward the net.

A slow read and a false step means he needs to share some blame, IMO.

In general, I think Bouwmeester is slow to read and transition. It is readily apparent on one-on-ones coming into the defensive end. He often waits till the guy is alongside his hip before transitioning from backward skating. His stride and reach save him, but he would be more effective if his reads were better.

He is also slow to read passing options.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
In general, I think Bouwmeester is slow to read and transition. It is readily apparent on one-on-ones coming into the defensive end. He often waits till the guy is alongside his hip before transitioning from backward skating. His stride and reach save him, but he would be more effective if his reads were better.

He is also slow to read passing options.

He's a guy who I think will fall off dramatically when he starts to slow down. I have no problem with keeping him now, but I think he could be a casualty with the expansion draft, and we could probably live with that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He's a guy who I think will fall off dramatically when he starts to slow down. I have no problem with keeping him now, but I think he could be a casualty with the expansion draft, and we could probably live with that.

I pray that we loose him at the expansion draft.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of how we looked in the 3rd outside of the goals?

Its the first period of Blues hockey I missed all season and its the one where we roarbacon back to win in chicago in the playoffs :facepalm: My DVR cut out with 4 minutes left in the 2nd. Taped the replay today and only got a minute more before it did the same. I've been lurking the boards this season, so I knew if I wanted the detailed scoop on what I missed, this was the place.

-Specifically, was Elliott tested in the 3rd? Hawks had 12 shots, but were there any real good chances?
-How were the refs in the 3rd? We got the only PP in the 3rd but that was a must call. Did we play like saints or did they swallow the whistles with Hawks down?
-Paint me a word picture about the Lehtera no-shot that everyone got so mad at. It generated an extreme reaction
-Anyone stand out as exceptionally good/bad? I mean specifically in the 3rd if you can separate that from rest of game/playoffs.
-Anything I missed that as I Blues fan should make me hate the Blackhawks even more (as if there is more than infinite hate) or any other notable event?

In general, I just am curious if we came back and dominated or was it more of the same with a fluky bounce goal and one nice PP goal.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of how we looked in the 3rd outside of the goals?

Its the first period of Blues hockey I missed all season and its the one where we roarbacon back to win in chicago in the playoffs :facepalm: My DVR cut out with 4 minutes left in the 2nd. Taped the replay today and only got a minute more before it did the same. I've been lurking the boards this season, so I knew if I wanted the detailed scoop on what I missed, this was the place.

-Specifically, was Elliott tested in the 3rd? Hawks had 12 shots, but were there any real good chances?
-How were the refs in the 3rd? We got the only PP in the 3rd but that was a must call. Did we play like saints or did they swallow the whistles with Hawks down?
-Paint me a word picture about the Lehtera no-shot that everyone got so mad at. It generated an extreme reaction
-Anyone stand out as exceptionally good/bad? I mean specifically in the 3rd if you can separate that from rest of game/playoffs.
-Anything I missed that as I Blues fan should make me hate the Blackhawks even more (as if there is more than infinite hate) or any other notable event?

In general, I just am curious if we came back and dominated or was it more of the same with a fluky bounce goal and one nice PP goal.

Thanks in advance.

Blues D played well in the 3rd. Pretty much smothered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad