Post-Game Talk: Game 3-Back at the UC Preds vs Hawks Round 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Good post. That's why in another thread when a poster advocated making another similar trade to get another Panik type player (as far as not working out in another org, but has talent) I named Jurco from Detroit (or Mantha who Holland has admitted isn't too crazy about). Stan has to continue to make those kind of deals with the Hawks up against the cap. Sometimes it doesn't work (Rundblad) but you take the risk.

Oh.. and if there's one kid we're gonna see Tuesday who reminds me of a young Sharp (just more developed obviously at a younger age) is Konecny who was compared to Sharp in his draft year. I'm sure Flyers fans are hoping they keep this one around this time. He's gonna be a good one.

I had no problem with the Runblad risk / reward trade with the Coyotes. My problem was that Stan re signed him last year. Sometimes, you have to cut bait when you know it's a stinker. But I do agree, we have to keep looking for CHEAP talent that did not work at one place or another for some unknown reason. It's sort of what the New England Patriots do.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I am interested in what you have seen in Schmaltz that has impressed you so? I have seen him as as being rather meh. I see Motte as being a solid forechecker and backchecker who is in on play after play, who plays hard, has a nose for the net, wins board battles, defends passing lanes well and, when the opportunity presents itself, can score. He has been impressive to me. Schmaltz has been largely (not entirely), but largely, invisible - not in many plays.

Schmaltz mentioned in his post-game interview after game 3 that he was pretty nervous the first two games and essentially was just trying to chip the puck away as soon as he got it.

Being nervous is pretty normal for a kid who has not played professional hockey of any kind up to this point.

As he keeps playing and gets more and more comfortable, I think we'll see good things from him.

He might as well just stay up with the big club and gain experience that way rather than do a stint in the AHL. The Hawks don't have the depth to replace him anyway.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I saw most of Schmaltz's college career, and he is going to underwhelm you for a while. There are guys with a big motor who fly around and are very noticeable. They seem to speed the game up. Schmaltz is the opposite, as he slows the game down. Right now he looks uninvolved and maybe a bit disinterested. Maybe slow.

Check back in about a year and a half, and I think you're more likely to be worried about affording him than him busting. The guy is an elite passer. Well, maybe, but I think so. It's hard to score in the NHL, and when it gets really hard in the spring, you need guys who can create goals out of nothing.

One thing, the Hawks defenseman on the other side of the rink from Schmaltz when he has the puck is going to learn to float down into space, because the puck will find him.

Reactions: d rake

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I saw most of Schmaltz's college career, and he is going to underwhelm you for a while. There are guys with a big motor who fly around and are very noticeable. They seem to speed the game up. Schmaltz is the opposite, as he slows the game down. Right now he looks uninvolved and maybe a bit disinterested. Maybe slow.

Check back in about a year and a half, and I think you're more likely to be worried about affording him than him busting. The guy is an elite passer. Well, maybe, but I think so. It's hard to score in the NHL, and when it gets really hard in the spring, you need guys who can create goals out of nothing.

One thing, the Hawks defenseman on the other side of the rink from Schmaltz when he has the puck is going to learn to float down into space, because the puck will find him.

Great to hear. I hope he gets there sooner rather than later!

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think Schmaltz has been one of our better Players. He is noticeable out there and is trying to create. Game 2 was better than Game 1 and Game 3 was better than Game 2. I like this Progression.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Thanks for sharing.

I've watched Schmaltz since he was 15. At every level he's progressed from year to year and I am very confident the NHL will be no exception. He's already progressed from game to game. As eluded above, he's never a guy who appears to be flying around like he's been set on fire. Even at his peak, he's always poised and in control. His stride and skating style make him look like he's coasting or uninvolved, until you start to notice people missing him and the puck still on his stick. It's very deceptive.

He didn't do much in the first game and had limited minutes. He got more minutes and was a bit more noticeable in the second game and last game was another step forward potting a nice goal and setting up some other plays (if I recall correctly he set up Hossa a couple of times pretty nicely). I'm looking forward to seeing more as we go along.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
After getting a chance to watch Subban up close these last two games I can see why Montreal was happy to get rid of him. He matches every positive with a negative. Score a nice goal, follow it up with a bad penalty or turnover. Rinse and repeat.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I don't think there is a GDT for tonight's game yet so I'm just gonna post this here:

Hossa looked pretty good with Motte and Schmaltz so I'm not extremely enthused about breaking that line up. But I do get the thinking. Vinnie Hinnie was on the first line last game and I don't even think he is an NHL-caliber player at this point, much less a first liner. So it makes sense to move him down.... but I'd rather see him on the bus to Rockford. He skates fast but does nothing else well. Unfortunately I guess there's not really anybody to replace him at the moment. Get well soon, Hartman and Desi.

For all the *****ing about Tootoo, he hasn't actually been too,too bad. He skates better than I thought and at least seems to be hustling out there. So I'm okay with him on the fourth line.

I feel like Panarin - Anisimov - Kane are due for a big game tonight.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't think there is a GDT for tonight's game yet so I'm just gonna post this here:

Hossa looked pretty good with Motte and Schmaltz so I'm not extremely enthused about breaking that line up. But I do get the thinking. Vinnie Hinnie was on the first line last game and I don't even think he is an NHL-caliber player at this point, much less a first liner. So it makes sense to move him down.... but I'd rather see him on the bus to Rockford. He skates fast but does nothing else well. Unfortunately I guess there's not really anybody to replace him at the moment. Get well soon, Hartman and Desi.

For all the *****ing about Tootoo, he hasn't actually been too,too bad. He skates better than I thought and at least seems to be hustling out there. So I'm okay with him on the fourth line.

Q likes Hino. I don't think he comes out of the lineup when Desi and Hartman are healthy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Tootoo knows his role. Play physical and beat the poop out of anyone who messes with our "finesse" players. He has a place on this team even if he doesn't play all the time.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm as guilty as anyone of piling on Q but I think you're reaching here on an effort to slag him. Hartman, MAYBE. Desi is everything Q likes in a player though.

That wasnt even an attempt to slag Q. I can see the elements of Hinos game that he likes. I dont think he's coming out. I think Ras and Tootoo come out for Hartman and Desi. Which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad