Post-Game Talk: Game 3-Back at the UC Preds vs Hawks Round 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm going to be brutally honest ... I highly doubt we're going to be legitimate contenders this year. Our youngsters need time to become better players. It takes time to become better possession players, penalty killers, etc. I don't think one top 6 forward will change that this year.

But if these kids improve like I think they can by next year, then adding a top 6 forward in 2017-2018 can be truly impactful. It looks like we've reloaded on defensively for the future. We need another year to develop our forwards.

Right now in our current state you are correct but if our young players minus Hino continue down their current path then we can 100% be contenders.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Honestly, I would call up McNeill and send Hino down. I think Hino has a solid idea of things to work on and he can do that in Rockford. He looks better than he did last year, and he usually plays well in RKFD. Get some confidence.

Then we can see once and for all whether there is anything worth keeping with McNeill

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If we could land Shipachev or other skilled top-9 forward for free, go for it. Motte, Schmaltz etc needs experience from playoffs if Blackhawks want to maximize the odds. Of course they could contend right away, but it's unlikely. Not impossible though.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I knew from watching Motte last year that he would be good.
But I am really impressed with his stick and his ability to cause turnovers. For example, last night leading to him drawing a penalty.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Please tell me you are not that naive. L's normally bring out the "boo birds" and when they don't have things to boo they are silent. You have been here long enough to know that.

*shrugs* Its my impression that outside playoffs, Saturday games are typically much less busy than weekday threads.

Yes, there are negative posters that feed on poor performances as they pounce on chances to affirm their 24/7 negative stances, but there are slso plenty of absent positive and neutral posters too.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So we all pretty much agree Hino sucks ,, Right?

Yep. But he got Q's highest endorsement coming out of camp, so it will take Hell AND high water to get him out of the lineup.

He shows flashes now and again, so it's easy to see what part of his game Q likes, but between those flashes he's a dumpster fire.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I kind of hope they don't give up on Hino but instead try to mold him into the player Frolik became during his time with the Hawks. Feel like his speed could be an asset to this team in some way, maybe the PK?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It seems forgotten that Hino had the Q praise out of camp and preseason last year, that's how he got 7 games early last year... so he doesn't have a whole lot to hold on with

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I still see something in Hino that I like.
I'm not blind though. He hasn't been good to start the season. I think he needs a little more time in Rockford. But I wouldn't give up on him.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Agree with those who think the Cubs game interfered with people watching the Hawks game, making this thread feel dead.

I watched the Hawks game, got a shower, watched SNL, then went to sleep instead of leaving a comment on the GDT after the game has finished (which I usually do). So obviously I'm part of the problem. :sarcasm:

-Hino looks lost. He shows his speed, and he's had a couple good chances, but he loses his man on damn near every shift. Desi will be back soon and someone will have to be sent back down. Hino has a short amount of time to drastically improve or that'll be him in Rockford.

-Forsling and Campbell had a rough game. Not sure if having Forsling in the lineup is a good thing for Soupy. Too early to tell, but he just didn't look good on his offside last night. And a guy like Kempny deserves to stick on the roster. Unfortunately, TVR may get his roster spot back soon simply because he's a righty.

-Motte's been good. His assist last night was more luck than anything (puck seemed to just bounce off his skate ever so slightly), but love his tenacity and work ethic. Stripped the puck from Subban, and forced PK to take a penalty. Impressive considering he's had hardly any pro experience.

-Speaking of stripping the puck, Schmaltz started showing why he was highly regarded in college hockey for his work along the boards. He raised the defenders stick ever so slightly, and snatched the puck away from him. 3 seconds later, the crowd at the UC are on their feet. Also, guy shows as much emotion after scoring as Tazer.

-Panik had a good night. Obviously had the most goals, but also the most shots on goal and the most hits on the Hawks last night. I've been one of his biggest fans here and felt rewarded when he got the Hatty. His defense is still pretty meh, but we have enough guys who can defend. We need guys who can score. And boy did he score last night.

-Panarin and kane look lost. Kane had two assists. One was impressive (assist on Panik's hattrick), the other was meh (assist off of Seabs PP goal). Need him to generate more, and need Panarin to do something out there. The two of them need to practice by themselves a little bit and re-build that chemistry.

-Speaking of those two being damn near non-factors, a significant question leading up to the season was depth scoring. Well, Panik has 5pts in 3 games, Kruger has 2pts in 3 games, Motte has 2pts in 3 games, Hartman has 2pts in 2 games, and Schmaltz got his first pt (goal) last night (his third game).

All in all, this team is slowly starting to look better. Just need to fix that PK. That ugly, terrible, give up at least a goal a game PK.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The PK strategy just seems lame. We sit back in our box not being aggressive and our players end up screening our own goaltender. I do not get the strategy, we certainly have the skill to have a great PK.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The PK strategy just seems lame. We sit back in our box not being aggressive and our players end up screening our own goaltender. I do not get the strategy, we certainly have the skill to have a great PK.

And with that exact same system and same skill, they have had a great PK.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I remember a time when the Hawks PK was really aggressive at attacking the points. PK has instead gone completely passive and doesn't force turnovers like they did during say 2013.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

We were way more aggressive in 2013, did not give guys at the point nearly as much space. This year and last we seem to be in an even bigger shell, its not working. Doing the exact same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, isn't it? Time for a change in strategy big time, unless we are going for a record in futility. Even the few we have killed off have been an adventure.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

It was not the same PK system in 2013 at all. I dont know why they changed, but the PK success has been almost completely based on Crawfords 4v5 sv% since, as the SA/60 has ballooned.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also saying it is same skill is false as well

Frolik and Oduya were key cogs on 2013 PK squad and neither have been properly replaced. Hossa has diminished from player he was

Also the 2013 PK unit also got lesser contributions from guys like Saad/Sharp/Bolland (Mainly 2nd unit work) that this club certainly cant replicate

Also in playoffs Saad , Handzus and Rozy (Who a shadow of defender he was in 2013) got work on 2nd PK unit and had some big moments while killing penalties

Again we cant replicate that depth on PK from 2013. So to say the Hawks had a successful system with same skill and trying to use 2013 as comparable would be false

This team is a far cry from what it was in 2013

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Not sure what fantasy of just 2013 team being good, but most years it's been good still on the PK and every year though since 2014 they started the season brutally on the pk. Even in that 2014 year that happened and tons of people freaked out about too conservative play and yet it was top notch most of that year still dragged down by the overall number of the 1st month but the next year it was better despite also the slow start and same complaints said yet it was still overall finishing good.

2013 isn't the only year i'd at all say they had a great PK, and as much as Saad brought in his efforts to add offense too often he made bad pk moves, him off it was an improvement because a lot of times he tried to carry the puck out of the zone instead of dumping it and i lead to extended possessions and goals against.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The PK in 2014 was subpar the entire year. In the playoffs through the first two rounds, Crow had a ridiculous, unsustainable .950+ 4v5 SV% which masked the problem until the dam finally broke in the 3rd round and the Kings are our PK for lunch.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Is Richard Panik our NEW Patrick Sharp?

Panik sure has been good for some time now - going back to the playoffs last year. Comparing him to Sharp makes sense at one level --- Sharpie shot, shot and shot some more and Panik is the same. Panik likes the front of the net more and is more physical and, really, apart from the desire to shoot, Panik and Sharp are not that similar. But I get your point - both guys will be pouring attempts on net and that is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad