Post-Game Talk: Game 3-Back at the UC Preds vs Hawks Round 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I still see something in Hino that I like.
I'm not blind though. He hasn't been good to start the season. I think he needs a little more time in Rockford. But I wouldn't give up on him.

It is early and Hino has not been so hot. But... he plays hard. he plays fast. He has skating skills. Let it play out. He will settle in and be better down the line. I would certainly not give up on him so soon. He could, with some refinement be good. Give him time.

Stu Cazzo

Oct 7, 2016
First two games we went 28 and 20 pages respectively. A 5-3 W against one of the wests bests goes 8. Imagine that.

Always liked Panik's toolset. Hopefully he's found a place where he can best use them. Very promising start.

A win is a win is a win. Feels good to type that again.

To be fair....it was a Saturday and a lot of people post from their work computer...:yo:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
To be fair....it was a Saturday and a lot of people post from their work computer...:yo:

:laugh:

Very true. Most my posting is during the day on my work computer. I don't post all that much during GDT's as the game is going on because I usually have people over or are at someone else's house to watch the game. Kind of ignorant to have my face glued to a computer screen or my phone that entire time. Saturday was also my birthday, so I had a ton of people over, and the Cubs game on most the time, flipping back and forth between that and the Hawks during commercials.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hinostroza hasn't been good so far. He is fast as hell but nothing else was shown. Not sure what to think about Motte. Forsling Looks so calm and good out there, think about the guys he faced and what he did. That was pretty good for him.
Best rookie has been Schmaltz so far. You can see that this guy is Special.

Toews and Kane should start Playing better, Panik won't carry the Team all year Long.

Still buffed how the Leafs put him in the AHL last year...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hinostroza hasn't been good so far. He is fast as hell but nothing else was shown. Not sure what to think about Motte. Forsling Looks so calm and good out there, think about the guys he faced and what he did. That was pretty good for him.

Toews and Kane should start Playing better, Panik won't carry the Team all year Long.

Q sure could learn a thing or two from the best coach in the world, Babcock.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Panik is only like Sharp in that it was a good move by the GM to get him for next to nothing. I hope you aren't expecting Panik to put up Sharp numbers. Panik is much more like a Frolik in my mind. Solid player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Panik is only like Sharp in that it was a good move by the GM to get him for next to nothing. I hope you aren't expecting Panik to put up Sharp numbers. Panik is much more like a Frolik in my mind. Solid player.

Panik and Sharp have more similarities than you think they do. Panik IF he plays to his potential could be a 50-55 point player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

That's my point. Sharpie was kind of a throwaway ex third rounder for the Flyers. Don't sleep on Panik though. There was a reason he was 52nd overall pick in the draft. The man has talent. And he did produce double digit goals for Toronto a couple of years ago. In fact, his numbers in the AHL was just as good or even better than Sharp.

Is he has fast as Sharp? Absolutely not ... but Panik does seem to have a nose for he puck. And when Panik's playing hard, he's a tough player to defend. He proved it last year in the playoffs. He just has to find the happy medium between smart aggressive play and making dumb mistakes.

Remember, the light came on for Sharpie when he was about 24 years old. Panik was 24 last year. I don't expect Panik to become an All Star ... but I think his strong level of play is somewhat sustainable (obviously, not the incredible goal production). He could be a legitimate top 6 forward.

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
Panik and Sharp have more similarities than you think they do. Panik IF he plays to his potential could be a 50-55 point player.
Wrong, Panik played to his potential these few games and he would be point per game player. He is very talented, it is obvious.
Focus is his issue, to do it every single game. When/If he gets it, he is 25 so it still could happen (his countryman Hossa might help), just watch out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wrong, Panik played to his potential these few games and he would be point per game player. He is very talented, it is obvious.
Focus is his issue, to do it every single game. When/If he gets it, he is 25 so it still could happen (his countryman Hossa might help), just watch out.

Not in the current NHL. There were 5 PPG players last year, I repeat 5.

Players in the NHL have great games in which they don't score a lot.

Richard Panik is not a top 5 player in the NHL and 55 points is right around his ceiling in the current NHL.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

If he remains healthy, if he remains on the top line and if Toews has a good year, then yes, Panik with 50 points is quite doable. At the same time, a 35 pt season is also a reasonable probability. I would put the lower number (35 pts) as the minimum expectation and the higher (the 50-55 pts) as the higher limits of expectation. Most probable? In the middle --- a 20 goal and 22 or 23 assist season... something like that. So... glad we have him.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

I am interested in what you have seen in Schmaltz that has impressed you so? I have seen him as as being rather meh. I see Motte as being a solid forechecker and backchecker who is in on play after play, who plays hard, has a nose for the net, wins board battles, defends passing lanes well and, when the opportunity presents itself, can score. He has been impressive to me. Schmaltz has been largely (not entirely), but largely, invisible - not in many plays.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
55 pts for Panik seems like an absolute best case scenario. I think a more likely "good" season would be around 40 pts.

He's at .28 PPG for his career (184 games). For comparison Kruger is .27 for his. Panik is young and I see the offensive upside, but 55 just seems too high IMO.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
55 pts for Panik seems like an absolute best case scenario. I think a more likely "good" season would be around 40 pts.

He's at .28 PPG for his career (184 games). For comparison Kruger is .27 for his. Panik is young and I see the offensive upside, but 55 just seems too high IMO.

I don't think we should put too much stock into Panik's career numbers. It seems pretty clear he's a late bloomer/never got an opportunity type. He looks like he's going to blow his career average numbers out of the water.

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
Not in the current NHL. There were 5 PPG players last year, I repeat 5.

Players in the NHL have great games in which they don't score a lot.

Richard Panik is not a top 5 player in the NHL and 55 points is right around his ceiling in the current NHL.

When Panik is on he can take over a game. Like he did in the playoffs, in one of the games against the Blues. That's his potential how it appears to me.
Three games and 5 points for him. He cannot sustain it of course but dialing it down to 60% and it's point per game, that's his potential.

He is very creative with the puck. The first goal against NSH, he knew all the time where the puck was even though he was fighting with the defence-man. That's a tough goal to score.
The move right after NSH third goal. Beauty.
The last year, he was in a corner, pinned to the boards by d-man and he put his skate on the puck. He did a 'soccer' toe drag when a player was going after the puck with a stick, kicked the puck in front of the net to a teammate who scored.
Panik has the skills and potential to be a point per game player. It is in his head though, the maturity.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
When Panik is on he can take over a game. Like he did in the playoffs, in one of the games against the Blues. That's his potential how it appears to me.
Three games and 5 points for him. He cannot sustain it of course but dialing it down to 60% and it's point per game, that's his potential.

He is very creative with the puck. The first goal against NSH, he knew all the time where the puck was even though he was fighting with the defence-man. That's a tough goal to score.
The move right after NSH third goal. Beauty.
The last year, he was in a corner, pinned to the boards by d-man and he put his skate on the puck. He did a 'soccer' toe drag when a player was going after the puck with a stick, kicked the puck in front of the net to a teammate who scored.
Panik has the skills and potential to be a point per game player. It is in his head though, the maturity.

I like your enthusiasm for him and I too am enthusiastic... but a point per game player -- as pointed out by others is about 5 players a year --- given 400+ players in the league (forwards and scoring defenders) that is ca. 1% of the NHL who do that. So... Panik will be good and 40 -55 pts would be wonderful to see and doable... but he is not in the top 1%. Toews will not be a point per game and Panarin will likely not be a point per game either (but could, like last year, be close) --- even Kane might not be (though I think he will). Lets not place those expectations on Panik. But i do agree that we should be excited about panik's play.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I don't think we should put too much stock into Panik's career numbers. It seems pretty clear he's a late bloomer/never got an opportunity type. He looks like he's going to blow his career average numbers out of the water.

Spot on. He is just now blooming into the type of player a team can depend upon to carry them through short stretches. He was never that before - but he is now. After Kane, Panarin and Toews, he is our most likely to single-handedly win games for us (as he did this last game). That was not him before, but it is him now.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I like your enthusiasm for him and I too am enthusiastic... but a point per game player -- as pointed out by others is about 5 players a year --- given 400+ players in the league (forwards and scoring defenders) that is ca. 1% of the NHL who do that. So... Panik will be good and 40 -55 pts would be wonderful to see and doable... but he is not in the top 1%. Toews will not be a point per game and Panarin will likely not be a point per game either (but could, like last year, be close) --- even Kane might not be (though I think he will). Lets not place those expectations on Panik. But i do agree that we should be excited about panik's play.

I'd be ecstatic at 0.6 points per game. Heck, 0.5 points per game would be a GREAT start as his first go around as top 6 forward. Let's manage our expectations. For this season, if Panik has around 20 goals and 25 assists ... as a 25 year old, that would be TREMENDOUS. In fact, it would be better than that. If Teravainen or Danault did that, we'd be beyond thrilled. Heck, I'd be happy if Hossa did that this year.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

That is all I'm saying. I like him and think he can be an important contributor to the team. But let's pump the brakes just a little.

Spot on. He is just now blooming into the type of player a team can depend upon to carry them through short stretches. He was never that before - but he is now. After Kane, Panarin and Toews, he is our most likely to single-handedly win games for us (as he did this last game). That was not him before, but it is him now.

I think this is a bit much personally.

At the end of the day I think he's a middle 6 forward, not a top 6 forward as some are seemingly suggesting. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I'd be ecstatic at 0.6 points per game. Heck, 0.5 points per game would be a GREAT start as his first go around as top 6 forward. Let's manage our expectations. For this season, if Panik has around 20 goals and 25 assists ... as a 25 year old, that would be TREMENDOUS. In fact, it would be better than that. If Teravainen or Danault did that, we'd be beyond thrilled. Heck, I'd be happy if Hossa did that this year.

I agree 100%.

Your mention of Hoss is spot on... if Hoss pots 20 w/ 20+ helpers that would be great.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's playing well, but Id cool down the Sharp comparisons for the moment. His shooting percentage through 3 games isnt sustainable.

When he regresses to his career average we're going to need our stars to pick up the slack.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He's playing well, but Id cool down the Sharp comparisons for the moment. His shooting percentage through 3 games isnt sustainable.

When he regresses to his career average we're going to need our stars to pick up the slack.

All I'm saying is that Panik is potentially a legitimate top 6 forward who we got for CHEAP. I think that's a reasonable (not outrageous) expectation. By no means do I expect Panik to become an All Star.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That's my point. Sharpie was kind of a throwaway ex third rounder for the Flyers. Don't sleep on Panik though. There was a reason he was 52nd overall pick in the draft. The man has talent. And he did produce double digit goals for Toronto a couple of years ago. In fact, his numbers in the AHL was just as good or even better than Sharp.

Is he has fast as Sharp? Absolutely not ... but Panik does seem to have a nose for he puck. And when Panik's playing hard, he's a tough player to defend. He proved it last year in the playoffs. He just has to find the happy medium between smart aggressive play and making dumb mistakes.

Remember, the light came on for Sharpie when he was about 24 years old. Panik was 24 last year. I don't expect Panik to become an All Star ... but I think his strong level of play is somewhat sustainable (obviously, not the incredible goal production). He could be a legitimate top 6 forward.

Good post. That's why in another thread when a poster advocated making another similar trade to get another Panik type player (as far as not working out in another org, but has talent) I named Jurco from Detroit (or Mantha who Holland has admitted isn't too crazy about). Stan has to continue to make those kind of deals with the Hawks up against the cap. Sometimes it doesn't work (Rundblad) but you take the risk.

Oh.. and if there's one kid we're gonna see Tuesday who reminds me of a young Sharp (just more developed obviously at a younger age) is Konecny who was compared to Sharp in his draft year. I'm sure Flyers fans are hoping they keep this one around this time. He's gonna be a good one.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in what you have seen in Schmaltz that has impressed you so? I have seen him as as being rather meh. I see Motte as being a solid forechecker and backchecker who is in on play after play, who plays hard, has a nose for the net, wins board battles, defends passing lanes well and, when the opportunity presents itself, can score. He has been impressive to me. Schmaltz has been largely (not entirely), but largely, invisible - not in many plays.

This for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad