GDT: [Game 3] April 17: Ducks @ Flames - 8:00pm MT (TV: CBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Y'all need to relax.

Best of 7, not 5.

The boys will take game 4. Game by game. Once we win 4, refocus, ride a train to Anaheim and get a little banged up with the boys, and take game 5 as well.

Please stop talking about the off season when the Flames have not yet started it. Plenty of time to discuss who should resign and who shouldn't when the offseason actually starts.

There's still 240+ minutes of hockey to be played this series.

Or be as pissed off as you want and don't support the team who is still not all the way through a rebuild and has little to no playoff experience against a very suave and veteran Ducks team, really makes no difference to me.

You're allowed to be pissed off, because there are things that could have gone better this series, but guess what, they didn't. Guess what else? It's not over yet. Save the negative **** until the Flames' lockers are cleared out for the summer. Plenty of time for that when there isn't still hockey to be played.

Just my two cents.

Go Flames Go!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Backlund picked up 2 points and held Getzlaf off the score sheet. I'd say he had a damn good night. It's tough to keep Getzlaf at bay any night and he did it.
I'm speaking on the series as a whole, not just a single game.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I've liked Versteeg, Chiasson and Bennett's game a lot. They stepped up to the best of their abilties. Our top guys though, not at all

There is one top guy who has disappointed the crap out of me (outside of Hamilton's stupid penalties), and that's Gaudreau. He's the only forward the Flames have (who's not a rookie) who has "game breaking" ability, and he's borderline useless half the time. I think the rest have been fine.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Y'all need to relax.

Best of 7, not 5.

The boys will take game 4. Game by game. Once we win 4, refocus, ride a train to Anaheim and get a little banged up with the boys, and take game 5 as well.

Please stop talking about the off season when the Flames have not yet started it. Plenty of time to discuss who should resign and who shouldn't when the offseason actually starts.

There's still 240+ minutes of hockey to be played this series.

Or be as pissed off as you want and don't support the team who is still not all the way through a rebuild and has little to no playoff experience against a very suave and veteran Ducks team, really makes no difference to me.

You're allowed to be pissed off, because there are things that could have gone better this series, but guess what, they didn't. Guess what else? It's not over yet. Save the negative **** until the Flames' lockers are cleared out for the summer. Plenty of time for that when there isn't still hockey to be played.

Just my two cents.

Go Flames Go!

Zero chance this team believes they can win 4 straight against Anaheim.

Not with Elliott, not with Gaudrau, not with Hamilton, not with Gulutzan.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Zero chance this team believes they can win 4 straight against Anaheim.

Not with Elliott, not with Gaudrau, not with Hamilton, not with Gulutzan.

That's not what 'zero chance' means.

Amen, unfortunately-named Mighty Mallard. We're still in a series. Let's just face facts for a second here. Every series is going to have a team fail. Every time. There has never been a playoff series in the history of the NHL where one team didn't come up short. Maybe it's going to be us this time, sure, but if it wasn't us, it would be the Ducks. Are they a terrible team that should be torn apart and salvaged for picks if the bounces went our way in the first three games of the series? No.

Hockey is a fickle sport. The truth is the Flames have gotten almost unbelievably unlucky three times in a row, but have looked a lot better than some good teams in the playoffs, like the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks. Let's not act like children just because our team's the one getting the short end of the stick. If it wasn't us, it would be them, and it wouldn't make them a bad team if they lost by luck, so why so for us?

It's not all luck, of course. There's something to be said for being able to get over that hump and win a close playoff game that you could easily lose. The Ducks have that right now, and full credit to them for that particular aspect of their team.

In terms of tonight's game, though, they are extremely lucky to get out of here with the win. None of their goals came from a dangerous chance. The Flames were guilty of sitting back, but the reason you do that is to limit dangerous chances at the expense of allowing safer ones. They did that, and somehow five goals went in that at least 9 times out of 10 would not go in. Five times in one game. That's just unlucky. I really only am disappointed in Elliott for two of them. The OT one for sure, but the game never should have gotten to that point. The one at the end of the second period really had me steamed. But Elliott can't do anything about the Flames being shut down after the goaltending change.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. I really do hope we win game 4. Remember in the Canucks series two years ago when we were up 3-1, and it seemed really safe until we were only up 3-2? Remember how when the Canucks went up 3-0 in that game, probably most of us felt like we would lose the series? That's what I'm up for. The fourth game is the hardest one to win, so just play loose and see how much we can scare them.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
That's not what 'zero chance' means.

Amen, unfortunately-named Mighty Mallard. We're still in a series. Let's just face facts for a second here. Every series is going to have a team fail. Every time. There has never been a playoff series in the history of the NHL where one team didn't come up short. Maybe it's going to be us this time, sure, but if it wasn't us, it would be the Ducks. Are they a terrible team that should be torn apart and salvaged for picks if the bounces went our way in the first three games of the series? No.

Hockey is a fickle sport. The truth is the Flames have gotten almost unbelievably unlucky three times in a row, but have looked a lot better than some good teams in the playoffs, like the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks. Let's not act like children just because our team's the one getting the short end of the stick. If it wasn't us, it would be them, and it wouldn't make them a bad team if they lost by luck, so why so for us?

It's not all luck, of course. There's something to be said for being able to get over that hump and win a close playoff game that you could easily lose. The Ducks have that right now, and full credit to them for that particular aspect of their team.

In terms of tonight's game, though, they are extremely lucky to get out of here with the win. None of their goals came from a dangerous chance. The Flames were guilty of sitting back, but the reason you do that is to limit dangerous chances at the expense of allowing safer ones. They did that, and somehow five goals went in that at least 9 times out of 10 would not go in. Five times in one game. That's just unlucky. I really only am disappointed in Elliott for two of them. The OT one for sure, but the game never should have gotten to that point. The one at the end of the second period really had me steamed. But Elliott can't do anything about the Flames being shut down after the goaltending change.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. I really do hope we win game 4. Remember in the Canucks series two years ago when we were up 3-1, and it seemed really safe until we were only up 3-2? Remember how when the Canucks went up 3-0 in that game, probably most of us felt like we would lose the series? That's what I'm up for. The fourth game is the hardest one to win, so just play loose and see how much we can scare them.

I know. I use that name for gaming and it just kind of stuck. I hate it though now. I will probably change it.

And I agree with what you are saying. Likely the Flames come up short, but I just thought I'd post what I did to, and not to sound too much like a hippy/hipster, integrate some positivity into the thread.

I understand it's a tough time for all of us as Flames fans, but at the very least, we still get to watch one more game this season where a team wearing flaming C's is competing. Might as well hope for the best and not approach the game as a "last supper" of sorts with our mind already on the offseason and next year. Who knows what can happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset with how things have gone this series too (I think it should be 2-1 Calgary right now, but I digress), but I am also a victim of loving this team with every fibre of my being, so while I am heartbroken and angry about the last three games, I am still excited to see another playoff game.

Obviously, I have opinions on what they could do to improve and who I want to draft/trade/sign/get rid of, but I will withhold that until it's the appropriate time to discuss.

I am rambling now, too. So I'll stop for the night.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The big disappointment for me is that the Flames had won 33 straight when leading after two.

The Ducks can break that streak but the Flames can't buy a break in the Ponda.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The good news out of all this ********, is Monahan and Bennett have been playing like beasts and have shown glimpses of a brighter future. The only knock on them has been there below average face offs in the series, which should improve as they age; though they are going against the best face off team in the league (or top 5 anyway).

Gio and Brodie have been playing very well. Hamilton has been rough all 3 games, the 3rd d-pair is what it is, trash.

The 4th line has been useless, Gulutzan needs to stop rolling 4 lines, Bennett and Monys line need more ice time over Brouwer and Bouma.

Chiasson as well I thought has stepped it up this playoffs, playing really strong along the boards and getting good looks. Bennett's whole line has been good, better than the 3M line IMO (though they have spent a ton of time PKing and not 5v5).

The series has come down to goaltending and we've had poor goaltending all 3 games and it has cost us 2 of them.

I hope out of all of this Treliving realizes 3 things: Brouwer needs to not only be exposed, but taken and if that means throwing Vegas a 3rd rounder than it needs to be done. His cap space is one thing, but he is a waste of a roster space. Secondly, we need another whole goalie shuffle. Lastly, the 3rd pairing needs to be completely re-vamped, no Bartkowski or Engelland. Let rookies go out there and learn rather than have useless vets cost us goals.

Last edited:

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Thats exactly what it means.

They are up 3 goals and they crawl back to their shells because they dont believe in themselves. Instead of pounding whats essentially an AHLers/rookies defense, they start protecting their lead. That predictably blows up in their faces.

Do you think guys like Bennett, Frolik, Ferland watch that and believe they can win with a coach that is as clueless as he was when he was on VAN bench humiliated by Hartley? That they believe they can win with Elliott? Or that Johnny can be effective rather than whiney against the Ducks?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Flames are my second favorite team, it sucks for you guys... Didn't see the whole thing, but this one looks to be on Elliott seriously. That team is going to be awesome, but it needs someone in goal that won't let that second goal happen come on!!!

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
You knew they were in panic mode during 4 on 4, when they regain possession in their own zone and everyone is standing still. Move your damn feet.

This team drives me nuts.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The good news out of all this ********, is Monahan and Bennett have been playing like beasts and have shown glimpses of a brighter future. The only knock on them has been there below average face offs in the series, which should improve as they age; though they are going against the best face off team in the league (or top 5 anyway).

Gio and Brodie have been playing very well. Hamilton has been rough all 3 games, the 3rd d-pair is what it is, trash.

The 4th line has been useless, Gulutzan needs to stop rolling 4 lines, Bennett and Monys line need more ice time over Brouwer and Bouma.

Chiasson as well I thought has stepped it up this playoffs, playing really strong along the boards and getting good looks. Bennett's whole line has been good, better than the 3M line IMO (though they have spent a ton of time PKing and not 5v5).

The series has come down to goaltending and we've had poor goaltending all 3 games and it has cost us 2 of them.

I hope out of all of this Treliving realizes 3 things: Brouwer needs to not only be exposed, but taken and if that means throwing Vegas a 3rd rounder than it needs to be done. His cap space is one thing, but he is a waste of a roster space. Secondly, we need another whole goalie shuffle. Lastly, the 3rd pairing needs to be completely re-vamped, no Bartkowski or Engelland. Let rookies go out there and learn rather than have useless vets cost us goals.

Spot on. I think Hamilton has played well if you take away his dumb penalties. Brouwer has been absolutely terrible and the fact there have been some Flame fans who thought he would be a monster in the playoffs is hilarious (Although they are usually FB and instagram people not hfboard fans).

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I get that people's first thoughts are always to rip on people, but maybe everyone should take a step back, breathe, and relax a bit and look at the situation with eyes wide open, not half shut because you're mad.

1. People forget this team is 3 years into a rebuild and just made a great turnaround from a poor season the year before which says a lot about the management and direction of the team. They are well positioned to move up the standings next year.

2. The playoffs to this point are a 3 game vacuum. The Flames should realistically be up 2-1 and outside of a chunk of game 1 have played quite well. They have battled a playoff hardened, experienced team all over the ice and have been the better team in my eyes.

3. The goalie isn't always the reason for a loss, despite bad goals. Were you guys saying the same things about Elliott the last 2 months with his play? He is the single reason why this team made the push up the standings he did. To throw him under the bus now is a mistake. It takes 5 other players before the puck gets to him, regardless of the type of goal he lets in.

I have issues with some players on the team and how they've played as well but I also realize that it's a process and people need to stay with the process. Gaudreau is always at a disadvantage out there, he's learning how to battle that. Sure he has to shoot more and get more involved, that will come. Look at Bennett. He had a struggle all year and now look at where his game is at. Chiasson was criticized off and on all year, for no reason really, and now people are praising him. Brouwer, despite how people want to paint him, does what he does. Maybe if people didn't expect things out of players that they can't produce then maybe the disappointment wouldn't be there.

This management group has made the right decisions at every turn and this team is on the cusp of being an elite Western team.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
All these people saying the Flames should be up 2-1 in the series: why? What about a team that blows a 4-1 lead says anything but pathetic to you, let alone that they should be leading the series?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I get that people's first thoughts are always to rip on people, but maybe everyone should take a step back, breathe, and relax a bit and look at the situation with eyes wide open, not half shut because you're mad.

1. People forget this team is 3 years into a rebuild and just made a great turnaround from a poor season the year before which says a lot about the management and direction of the team. They are well positioned to move up the standings next year.

2. The playoffs to this point are a 3 game vacuum. The Flames should realistically be up 2-1 and outside of a chunk of game 1 have played quite well. They have battled a playoff hardened, experienced team all over the ice and have been the better team in my eyes.

3. The goalie isn't always the reason for a loss, despite bad goals. Were you guys saying the same things about Elliott the last 2 months with his play? He is the single reason why this team made the push up the standings he did. To throw him under the bus now is a mistake. It takes 5 other players before the puck gets to him, regardless of the type of goal he lets in.

I have issues with some players on the team and how they've played as well but I also realize that it's a process and people need to stay with the process. Gaudreau is always at a disadvantage out there, he's learning how to battle that. Sure he has to shoot more and get more involved, that will come. Look at Bennett. He had a struggle all year and now look at where his game is at. Chiasson was criticized off and on all year, for no reason really, and now people are praising him. Brouwer, despite how people want to paint him, does what he does. Maybe if people didn't expect things out of players that they can't produce then maybe the disappointment wouldn't be there.

This management group has made the right decisions at every turn and this team is on the cusp of being an elite Western team.
Absolutely fantastic post. Thank you Kritty

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was the literally the second time all season the Flames have blown a lead heading into the 3rd period to lose a game and we were the best team in the NHL in that regard during the regular season. Let's not act like this type of thing is commonplace for the team.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All these people saying the Flames should be up 2-1 in the series: why? What about a team that blows a 4-1 lead says anything but pathetic to you, let alone that they should be leading the series?

[MOD] It shows how much you know about the series and the Flames to make that kind of comment. Pathetic, nice choice of word. Who exactly are you a fan of? Or do you wait until the team wins the cup before saying that?

The Flames lost game 2 because of a bad start in the first 10 minutes, after that they controlled the game and really should've gone ahead on a number of occasions. A bad penalty to Hamilton, and a questionable one to Brodie sealed their fate along with a bad luck goal. When is the last time you saw a goal scored like that winner Getzlaf got? That's one win.

Last night the Flames controlled that game for the first 40 minutes and aside from about the last 10 or so, evened out the 3rd. They fell into a shell instead of staying on the pedal and finishing the game off.

People are saying they should be up 2-1 because they should be. Some inexperience and questionable decision making has changed that. If anything it shows the fine line between winning and losing, not a word like pathetic. Thanks for that great contribution though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Players I thought have played well:

Bennett, Monahan, Versteeg, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland, Gio

Players I thought have played "okay":

Brouwer, Brodie, Stone

Players that have disappointed me:

Dougie, Tkachuk, Gaudreau

Rest have been pretty close to invisible or ineffective. Bouma and Chiasson hit things, but don't really cycle well. They've had one or two chances but still was hoping for more. Stajan hasn't been a factor at all.

Still mostly disappointed in Brouwer. A few good points here and there, but overall I was expecting a lot more from him still. Stone hasn't looked great, Dougie has struggled with the forecheck of the Ducks in my opinion as well as his stupid penalties.

A big part of me wants to be really unhappy with Elliot, even though logically I know most of the goals haven't been his fault with tips and whatnot.

I think a big part of it for me is our D just hasn't been what it needs to be. Gio is the only D playing "well" in my opinion. Brodie, Stone, Dougie have all struggled in our zone at times and led to bad shifts against. Bart and Engelland have been responsible for some gaffs for sure, but if 3 of our top 4 D aren't playing great, you can't just pin it on the third pair either.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

Agree with this. Sure there were some bad bounces/bad calls in games 1 and 2 and I feel like they should have came home with a split. But then to come home and play your best 39 minutes, lead 4-1 and then blow it like that?

It's a miracle those first games were close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad