GDT: Game 29: Wild @ Avs - Give Us More - 1PM

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I watched the game, but not with much attention or focus (thanks, kids). How did JTC perform? Will we see him again or will LOC win his spot?
He was more noticeable in the agitator role. Got away with punching Kirill but did nothing else. The 4th line was the worst line of the forward groups when last game they were solid. Take that for what its worth. To me its a no brainer to have LOC in the lineup over JTC since they dont ever wanna sit PEB.

Reactions: Richard88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Alos, Ryan Graves had a good game today. He also had 2 assists. Wanna make sure I mention that. BTW, has anyone heard or seen Laurskee the last 6 games? Where his ass been the last two games? Ian Cole did a wonderful job helping the Avs win both games.
He had to play us so he hasn't been able to log on even though I'm sure he checks this **** during intermissions but he was probably wondering how the Avs D control the puck so well when he just fires grenades anytime he touches it.

+/-, though.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Alos, Ryan Graves had a good game today. He also had 2 assists. Wanna make sure I mention that. BTW, has anyone heard or seen Laurskee the last 6 games? Where his ass been the last two games? Ian Cole did a wonderful job helping the Avs win both games.

amazing what happens when Graves simplifies his game. Turns into a good skating, solid defenseman

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Couldn’t get the touchdown? Blow it up.

They did. Our kicker sucks.

giphy.gif

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One thing I love about the team this season is they do NOT change their game plan with a 2 or 3 goal lead. The Avs of old would sit back and try to turtle with a solid lead, today they didn't let up the pressure until they had a 6 goal lead with 10 to go. That's what you have to do in this league, boot to the throat the whole game and don't compromise your game plan when it's working well.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
One thing I love about the team this season is they do NOT change their game plan with a 2 or 3 goal lead. The Avs of old would sit back and try to turtle with a solid lead, today they didn't let up the pressure until they had a 6 goal lead with 10 to go. That's what you have to do in this league, boot to the throat the whole game and don't compromise your game plan when it's working well.

That's just because Bednar doesn't know how to do mid game adjustments :sarcasm:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's just because Bednar doesn't know how to do mid game adjustments :sarcasm:
All joking aside, even just a couple years ago the Avs were still turtling with leads. Drove me batshit every time, because it came back to bite them so often and made games closer than they needed to be. Now, I didn't notice the Avs let up the constant O-zone pressure until the PP mid at through the third when they sent out the second unit to start. After that, they started to let up the speed through the NZ, but the game was long over by then with an absolutely insurmountable lead. That's how you do it, I don't ever want to see the Avs sit back on a lead again, not when this relentless pressure model is proving its worth these last six games.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
All joking aside, even just a couple years ago the Avs were still turtling with leads. Drove me batshit every time, because it came back to bite them so often and made games closer than they needed to be. Now, I didn't notice the Avs let up the constant O-zone pressure until the PP mid at through the third when they sent out the second unit to start. After that, they started to let up the speed through the NZ, but the game was long over by then with an absolutely insurmountable lead. That's how you do it, I don't ever want to see the Avs sit back on a lead again, not when this relentless pressure model is proving its worth these last six games.
Agree 100%. Youre winning for a reason. Keep doing what you're doing. With the mobility of the defense the Avs have they have 0 reason to turtle as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
God the days of turtling were so ****ing frustrating.

However, I don't believe a guy like Patrick Roy or even Joe Sacco would have advocated turtling like crazy. The Avs just happened to be so poorly built from the back end out that they couldn't make numerous plays under pressure - they could just get rid of it at all costs when protecting a lead. Much like a lot of teams we see around the league now. Their defensemen get the puck and the first thought is to flip it out as quick as possible.

It's so refreshing to have a defence that, as of right now, consists of 4 fantastic puck movers, Ryan Graves, and one-man-breakout-and-Norris-nominee Jacob mother****ing MacDonald.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree the turtling was frustrating but it was necessary at the time. The Avs in this last series rolled out THREE defensive pairings capable of dictating puck possession. That’s insane. They didn’t have that even last year. They also FINALLY might have the makings of an actual third line. If they can roll four lines like they did these past two games in all matchups then yes they do not have to turtle...ever.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Regarding Miska:

f*** those idiots on social media!

Miska is not ready to handle the pressure or good enough yet! That´s one thing and everybody saw it from the beginning.
And yet Sakic rode it out. That´s all on our management this time!

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Regarding Miska:

f*** those idiots on social media!

Miska is not ready to handle the pressure or good enough yet! That´s one thing and everybody saw it from the beginning.
And yet Sakic rode it out. That´s all on our management this time!

If you look closely, you can see that the first sentence is immediately contradicted by the second.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
If you look closely, you can see that the first sentence is immediately contradicted by the second.

Dont think so. It´s one thing to say "he is not ready yet" regarding the player Hunter Miska on this board. It´s another thing to go out on twitter or any other social media, or even here, and bash the player personally on any given opportunity.

Miska is not ready to be a regular in the NHL yet. That´s a fact. Everyone knows it, everyone saw it. He was ask to be the Backup because our managment and staff shit the bed regarding our Backup-Goalie-Situation (and I doubt our new addition is the solution either) . And he couldn´t handle it. I´m glad he is redeemed from this task and send to the AHL where he can work on his play. I wish him only the best. As mentioned before, I blame our Management (yes, including Joe) and Staff how they handled this situation.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Agreed. The Avs seem to understand what they are now. This turnaround should be celebrated. We got our team back at just the right time and Minnesota is the perfect victim.

I hope this reign of terror continues.

Reactions: McMetal

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Absolutely delightful that Dater has managed to find someone with an angrier twitter account than him. Great banter.

At least he’s moved on from that lame beef he had with SOG counts, which was disingenuous anyway. I guess when it’s 11-1, it seems silly to complain about SOG.

Reactions: McMetal

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
This drove me nuts as well. Even at the beginning of this season they were doing it. This winning streak they haven't been sitting back trying to protect leads and it has resulted in major success. It was the major gripe that I had with Bednar. I wanted him gone but if they keep playing this way then I have zero problem with him. I like his system just hated how that was the only in game adapting he would do. I am now willing to admit I was wrong if this is how he is going to get the team to play

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It came from necessity. The present day Avs dont play that way atleast not in the regular season. I dont recall much turtling in the playoffs but I could be wrong. The Avs need to be more aggressive when they are in a deficit. Thats still one flaw this team has yet to overcome and if im being honest I hope they never get put in a position where they are down going into the third. I prefer they always have a lead haha.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Did anyone see the post game interview with MacDonald?

Is it just me or does that guy have one of the softest voices you've heard? It almost sounds like he's a golf announcer or a night time dj.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad