GDT: Game 29: Montreal Canadiens vs Chicago Blackhawks: 6:00pm EST RDS, SN, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think Seabrooke and Keith have declined severely
Playing dominant physical hockey through all the Stanley Cups, ConSmythe, Presidents trophies, and 110 game seasons will do that.

Golf game probably needs work though. ;)

Reactions: Tyson

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Has keith really regressed that much ?? Havent been intune with his situation but i saw blackhawk fans saying how bad he was... would it really be a bad idea to buy low on him and pair him with weber ? :huh:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Chicago's core has nothing left to prove. They've been there and done that... three frikkin times! Aside from Keith their stars aren't even old or declining; they're probably just suffering from mental fatigue and letdown. Ken Dryden described the same effect with the Habs in the late 70s in his book, The Game. After their third straight Cup, Montreal lost the fire and was going through the motions. They still managed a fourth Cup, mostly because the league was so much more unbalanced than today. But then as now, too much success for too long breeds complacency.

Whats scary is Chicago can land Hughes, maybe trade a piece or two on their team and be right back up there.

Like you said their stars aren't even that old. Add in Hughes with Kand and Towes and they could be right back into contention.

Reactions: PaulD

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Absolutely Terrible IMO. The youth movement goes down the drain for a 10.5M C on the decline. :help:
So a mid round 1st, a 3rd line center, and MAYBE a top 6 player for a 1st line center with 3 cups. If you analyze the whole thing you have to remove Suzuki like we never had him. So it’s like we are trading:

Pacioretty
Poehling
2019 1st

For

Toews
Tatar
2019 2nd

This is what the whole thing would break down to essentially. This is fantastic for us.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So a mid round 1st, a 3rd line center, and MAYBE a top 6 player for a 1st line center with 3 cups. If you analyze the whole thing you have to remove Suzuki like we never had him. So it’s like we are trading:

Pacioretty
Poehling
2019 1st

For

Toews
Tatar
2019 2nd

This is what the whole thing would break down to essentially. This is fantastic for us.

That's not how it would break down seeing as Suzuki is one of our top prospects. You're suggesting we give a first and two of our three best prospects not in the nhl for a guy who is definitely past the point of his best years.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Great gdt, very crisp and clean. Love it.

As for the game, I think it will be a good one. Our speed is going to give that Chicago team fits on the forecheck. But there is just too much talent in a handful of players on Chicago to be wary. If I'm the Blackhawks? I'm trying to to make it physical, slow, grindy pushing after the whistle and seeing if I can get the habs taking an extra penalty or two.

If we stay out of the box, we'll win this one.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Pacioretty
Poehling
2019 1st

For

Toews
Tatar
2019 2nd

The point of the Pacioretty trade was to get younger. We did that. Trading for Toews un-does that.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
That's not how it would break down seeing as Suzuki is one of our top prospects. You're suggesting we give a first and two of our three best prospects not in the nhl for a guy who is definitely past the point of his best years.
No if you look at the big picture this is exactly what would be going out and coming in if we mish mashed it all together. And Toews is still a fantastic 2way Center who is absolutely killing it this season. He’s still only 30, he fits the Price/Weber window.
I would be trying to win a cup within the next couple of seasons.

Mid round 1st MIGHT yield us an NHL player in a few years.

Poehling PROBABLY is nothing but a 3rd line center

Suzuki MIGHT become a top 6 NHL player or MIGHT be another guy who won’t transition well into the NHL.. we don’t know.

We already have our “Future” core in place

Those 3 pieces might not pan out to be much. Toews becomes our 1st line center and makes us a contender right now..

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004

Pacioretty
Poehling
2019 1st

For

Toews
Tatar
2019 2nd

Toews isn’t a first line center anymore. He brings a lot to the game and I actually like him, but at 10.5M$ per, he is an overpaid second line center, and his leadership doesn’t make up for the difference.

4 years ago, sure. But not anymore.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
No if you look at the big picture this is exactly what would be going out and coming in if we mish mashed it all together. And Toews is still a fantastic 2way Center who is absolutely killing it this season. He’s still only 30, he fits the Price/Weber window.

Suzuki MIGHT become a top 6 NHL player or MIGHT be another guy who won’t transition well into the NHL.. we don’t know.

Those 3 pieces might not pan out to be much. Toews becomes our 1st line center and makes us a contender right now..

I'd rather continue as is. Price and Weber will still be good for a few more seasons. Toews also screws up the cap for when you have to sign Domi next year.

It seems like the first time we're going through a true re-tool or rebuild here in MTL. I'd rather be patient than jump the gun. Let's hope for another top pick this year.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
The point of the Pacioretty trade was to get younger. We did that. Trading for Toews un-does that.
The point of trading Pacioretty is because he sucks. Toews is still a fantastic 2 way center.
Good teams are able to go for cups while still developing for the future.

Trading for Toews makes us a much better team, he makes us a real team that can actually compete for real.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I'm not sure I understand the conflicting logic behind people wanting to tank and rebuild, and giving away our best prospects.

Yes prospects aren't a sure thing but that doesn't stop people from attaching value to that possibility. The habs are absolutely not in a position to be giving them away for overpaid guys heading towards the twilight years of their peak.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The point of trading Pacioretty is because he sucks. Toews is still a fantastic 2 way center.
Good teams are able to go for cups while still developing for the future.

Trading for Toes makes us a much better team, he makes us a real team that can actually compete for real.

Either way, I still don't think we'd be able to compete with Toews. Still too many holes. Defense without Weber is putrid. Too many holes to try to fix with trades, which is why we are here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad