Post-Game Talk: GAME 29 - BAH HUMBUG - NYR 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Officiating was terrible? Bruins must have lost.

Or is it Bruins lost? Officiating must have been terrible.

Much as I will agree with the point that there is a certain subset of the fanbase who will regularly complain about the officiating after a Bruins loss, it must be said that some of the calls last night were very poor, even by NHL standards. Brick called it 'pathetic', Monty was blowing a gasket on the bench, neither of those things are normal.

Didn't cost the Bruins the game, although to concede the tieing goal on the erroneous call against Lindholm was unfortunate, but it was notable all the same. It's a bit of that boy who cried wolf thing - if people whine about the officiating too often, then it loses its potency to call it out when you get a genuinely bad game. This wasn't a horror show, but it wasn't great, that's for sure.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
If the Bruins had won this game, there wouldn't be as much complaining about the refs. Yeah, officiating isn't great, but someone posted an article awhile ago (maybe last year?) about the lack of refs in pro hockey, and like most professions nowadays, less qualified people are filling the spots and they're learning on the job. There are so many teams now and there just aren't enough good refs. Every team is dealing with bad calls I'm sure and the league can't demote refs every time they screw up or cost a team a game as there's no replacements.

If the B's were maintaining 3 goal leads all the time, the ref issues wouldn't seem as glaring, but the team isn't that skilled this year, their good start notwithstanding. Plus the team is the opposite of the lunch pail gang in regards to physicality and other teams are targeting all our skill players. Marchy, Pasta, Poitras, Mac are taking big hits almost every game. Looch was supposed to be the player patrolling the ice and keeping the other teams in line, but now it's open season on Bruins players and Freddie ain't the guy to stop it.

I don't know how much longer the Bruins will stay on top of the Atlantic as their play seems to be coming back to earth and more of what I expected this season. Close games with lots of OT.

Reactions: Gordoff

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
The sad thing about the game is that if The Bruins have a descent PP they win that game.
Also after last nights game I would make 1 rule change about OT, and that is I would implement the over and back rule like in Basketball.
Totally agree, so stupid

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
What reason there is even calling Brown to Boston if he's playing time is 5:08 (even with 11 forwards). Bring fricking Abate and hopefully he can tackle someone when he gets those seven shifts.
Call Merkulov and play him only in powerplay for that 5 minutes :cool:. Those Brown etc. are so ususeless.
Same as Boqvist the game before. I believe he got even less TOI. Does that indicate a disconnect bw coach and GM? Or it's just all there is and coach is trying to win a game. You're right though - gotta be someone that can bring something for 5 min a night.

Reactions: SonnyBoy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Any word on a possible hearing for pasta?
1. He didn’t hit in middle of back
2. He did not contact head

He hit the top part of the left 5 (his contact was upper back left side just under shoulder)

You could argue he was charging

Should not have got 5 unless for charging

Trouba stick swing should have been a long long suspension

I like Trouba always have yet what was he thinking - he’s a very good fighter we were sitting there and a part of me thinks he knew he was wrong and took the L

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If the Bruins had won this game, there wouldn't be as much complaining about the refs. Yeah, officiating isn't great, but someone posted an article awhile ago (maybe last year?) about the lack of refs in pro hockey, and like most professions nowadays, less qualified people are filling the spots and they're learning on the job. There are so many teams now and there just aren't enough good refs. Every team is dealing with bad calls I'm sure and the league can't demote refs every time they screw up or cost a team a game as there's no replacements.

If the B's were maintaining 3 goal leads all the time, the ref issues wouldn't seem as glaring, but the team isn't that skilled this year, their good start notwithstanding. Plus the team is the opposite of the lunch pail gang in regards to physicality and other teams are targeting all our skill players. Marchy, Pasta, Poitras, Mac are taking big hits almost every game. Looch was supposed to be the player patrolling the ice and keeping the other teams in line, but now it's open season on Bruins players and Freddie ain't the guy to stop it.

I don't know how much longer the Bruins will stay on top of the Atlantic as their play seems to be coming back to earth and more of what I expected this season. Close games with lots of OT.
Who cares about winning the Atlantic, just make the playoffs. The NHL does not reward regular season success.

Reactions: Gordoff

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Same as Boqvist the game before. I believe he got even less TOI. Does that indicate a disconnect bw coach and GM? Or it's just all there is and coach is trying to win a game. You're right though - gotta be someone that can bring something for 5 min a night.

These call-ups are so lame, Brown and Boquist have no business being in the NHL, but they have experience and are the " safe " picks. Have some courage and actually give guys like Merkulov and Lysell a chance, these guys have actually NHL ability flaws and all.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
No hearing

Well I got that wrong. Good result for the Bruins, at least in the short term, still not really comfortable with it in terms of the message it sends on player safety. But the system is broken and not going to get fixed anytime soon, so no point worrying too much about it.

Perhaps at least this will serve as a little warning or reminder to Pasta that while his increase in physicality is good, he needs to be careful with it.

Reactions: Gordoff and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Well I got that wrong. Good result for the Bruins, at least in the short term, still not really comfortable with it in terms of the message it sends on player safety. But the system is broken and not going to get fixed anytime soon, so no point worrying too much about it.

Perhaps at least this will serve as a little warning or reminder to Pasta that while his increase in physicality is good, he needs to be careful with it.
Exactly

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
These call-ups are so lame, Brown and Boquist have no business being in the NHL, but they have experience and are the " safe " picks. Have some courage and actually give guys like Merkulov and Lysell a chance, these guys have actually NHL ability flaws and all.

Clearly Bruins management feels playing a regular shift in the AHL, as opposed to 7 or 8 minutes of 4th line time in the NHL, is more beneficial for them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He shouldn’t either they got it right

Me and my brother in law were sitting right there and it seemed really bad but we watched after and obvious didn’t leave feet, connect either head directly or bullseye between the 5’s

Tough job for refs there
Nice to see they got the no additional penalty right

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So...I forgot to mention that there were some good things yesterday (not really "game" related)

I take the Orange Line from Sullivan Square. I sat down on the T and right across from me was Todd Angilly. We talked and what a nice guy.

I told him I really enjoyed his voice. I also thanked him for (this was during the COVID/ no fans games) singing the National Anthem at my friend Steve Cipolla's home (outside in front of the house). Steve had recently left this earth.

Steve had passed away from COVID and many knew him as he had ST since the old Garden. His seat was in the last row of the balcony over the goal where the Bs shoot twice.

Many years ago, I got to a game too early and ended up chatting with Steve. From then on, I tried to get there early so I could chat with Steve. @Highatop308 (Nick) also was there early to talk with us. When Steve passed away the Garden offered Nick Steve's seat. Nick now sits there.

I think of Steve every time I get to the Garden....

Anyway, Todd told me he often rode the orange line with Steve and had some nice chats with him. He also told me he would be singing the Christmas songs next game.

When I got to my seat there were a bunch of young guys (age 11-13) that had played on the Garden ice earlier.

They asked many questions, told me what position they played and their favorite Bruin. All were well mannered and great young guys. It was a blast talking to them. It was nice to see such well brought up kids (who did not mind chatting with an old lady) as sometimes we get a few brats.

That's it . Sorry for the silly stories.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad