Post-Game Talk: GAME 29 - BAH HUMBUG - NYR 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
By doing what?
If I was in charge of NHL officiating, I'd gather all the refs together in a special meeting, and tell them to - "STOP the game management crap, and start calling obvious penalties only, whenever warranted, no matter which team or player is guilty.
If there is no obvious infractions, let the teams play hockey."

"If only one team is committing obvious infractions, then call as many penalties as necessary against the offending team, and STOP looking for phantom penalties, or bogus makeup calls for game management purposes."

"The fans don't come to games to watch the refs - they want to watch hockey. So, look for obvious infractions only, and NO MORE GAME MANAGEMENT."

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If I was in charge of NHL officiating, I'd gather all the refs together in a special meeting, and tell them to - "STOP the game management crap, and start calling obvious penalties only, whenever warranted, no matter which team or player is guilty.
If there is no obvious infractions, let the teams play hockey."

"If only one team is committing obvious infractions, then call as many penalties as necessary against the offending team, and STOP looking for phantom penalties, or bogus makeup calls for game management purposes."

"The fans don't come to games to watch the refs - they want to watch hockey. So, look for obvious infractions only, and NO MORE GAME MANAGEMENT."

Yep, that should do it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The sad thing about the game is that if The Bruins have a descent PP they win that game.
Also after last nights game I would make 1 rule change about OT, and that is I would implement the over and back rule like in Basketball.

The Bruins PP is 9th in the league. That's a decent power play.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yep, that should do it.
Obviously it would take time to change the officials mindset of game management...but it's a start

It's no different than briefing the refs on new rule changes
It takes time to get them acclimated to new rule changes, just as it will take time to break their habit of 'game management' officiating

You have to start somewhere

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Refs are still the same they have always been. You just have technology now pointing it out
Yup - this is bang on

The players are so much faster and stronger leads to some big contact

So...I forgot to mention that there were some good things yesterday (not really "game" related)

I take the Orange Line from Sullivan Square. I sat down on the T and right across from me was Todd Angilly. We talked and what a nice guy.

I told him I really enjoyed his voice. I also thanked him for (this was during the COVID/ no fans games) singing the National Anthem at my friend Steve Cipolla's home (outside in front of the house). Steve had recently left this earth.

Steve had passed away from COVID and many knew him as he had ST since the old Garden. His seat was in the last row of the balcony over the goal where the Bs shoot twice.

Many years ago, I got to a game too early and ended up chatting with Steve. From then on, I tried to get there early so I could chat with Steve. @Highatop308 (Nick) also was there early to talk with us. When Steve passed away the Garden offered Nick Steve's seat. Nick now sits there.

I think of Steve every time I get to the Garden....

Anyway, Todd told me he often rode the orange line with Steve and had some nice chats with him. He also told me he would be singing the Christmas songs next game.

When I got to my seat there were a bunch of young guys (age 11-13) that had played on the Garden ice earlier.

They asked many questions, told me what position they played and their favorite Bruin. All were well mannered and great young guys. It was a blast talking to them. It was nice to see such well brought up kids (who did not mind chatting with an old lady) as sometimes we get a few brats.

That's it . Sorry for the silly stories.
Love it

I didn’t know Steve all that well only when we went down by you gals early games - Nick’s a good guy. Saw him a couple weeks ago outside pro shoppe

11-13 kids are great - fun age, they aren’t asking to borrow the car their borrowing is limited to money

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What is your solution to improve NHL officiating??

..or do you like it the way it is?

I've said it many times, hockey is the most difficult game to call. Continuous action with most players trying to get away with anything they can all over the ice. Refs have to navigate the play without being in the way while also avoiding sticks and puck.

Watch slow-mo replays from two different angles and it leads to two different conclusions.

Listen to two different broadcasts looking at the same play, again, two different conclusions.

The guys calling the games do the best they can. There are not nearly as many egregious calls as there were in the past. The final play of the 1980 playoffs was an OT goal that was 2 feet offsides. Final play of the 1999 playoffs was an OT goal with Brett Hull clearly in the crease before he scored.

You should be watching NFL games the last few years to see bad officiating. Or baseball games with any number of terrible home plate umpires (Angel Hernandez isn't the only one, just the worst of a bad lot). NBA? Bodies fly and no call made, in a basketball game. What is travelling? I used to know.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I've said it many times, hockey is the most difficult game to call. Continuous action with most players trying to get away with anything they can all over the ice. Refs have to navigate the play without being in the way while also avoiding sticks and puck.

Watch slow-mo replays from two different angles and it leads to two different conclusions.

Listen to two different broadcasts looking at the same play, again, two different conclusions.

The guys calling the games do the best they can. There are not nearly as many egregious calls as there were in the past. The final play of the 1980 playoffs was an OT goal that was 2 feet offsides. Final play of the 1999 playoffs was an OT goal with Brett Hull clearly in the crease before he scored.

You should be watching NFL games the last few years to see bad officiating. Or baseball games with any number of terrible home plate umpires (Angel Hernandez isn't the only one, just the worst of a bad lot). NBA? Bodies fly and no call made, in a basketball game. What is travelling? I used to know.
We always knew that foot in the blue paint was a stupid rule that would result in a big conflict,same as we know a Stanley Cup winning goal in OT will get taken back because of an close offside that happened long before the goal was scored.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We always knew that foot in the blue paint was a stupid rule that would result in a big conflict,same as we know a Stanley Cup winning goal in OT will get taken back because of an close offside that happened long before the goal was scored.

The point is those two things did happen and they could not happen in today's NHL.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
What is your solution to improve NHL officiating??

..or do you like it the way it is?
The first thing I would meet on is curbing embellishment. Players used to be criticized and even laughed at, but now over the years "selling it" is not just becoming acceptable but actually a strategy.
As someone who never even wore face protection, I get infuriated when I see some big tough guy holding his face and overreacting when someone grazes his visor. They need to start calling the embellisher more, and if disputable, call them both.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

So is that a yes??

Although the reffing has improved in some areas since the 80's and 90's, I don't remember the referee's (or referee) being so worried about evening up penalty calls back then (aka 'game management')

The NHL's 'game management' officiating over the last few years is infuriating to me, and I'd like to see it removed from the game, and get back to just calling the"obvious penalties" whenever they occur (no matter how many times a team is guilty of them).

This would make it easier for the refs to do their job without trying to manage the game by calling phantom make-up calls to even out the penalties.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So is that a yes??

Although the reffing has improved in some areas since the 80's and 90's, I don't remember the referee's (or referee) being so worried about evening up penalty calls back then (aka 'game management')

The NHL's 'game management' officiating over the last few years is infuriating to me, and I'd like to see it removed from the game, and get back to just calling the"obvious penalties" whenever they occur (no matter how many times a team is guilty of them).

This would make it easier for the refs to do their job without trying to manage the game by calling phantom make-up calls to even out the penalties.

Your memory must be worse than mine.

Going back to the 1960's there were always "makeup" calls and game management. It is absolutely nothing new. Bruins and Flyers of the 70's would have been short-handed all of the time if there was no game management. And who decides what an "obvious" call is?

Tie games in the third it would warrant assault to receive a penalty back in the day. Wally Harris called the game like that from the opening faceoff. Bill Friday favored the visting teams because he relished the villian role. Fraiser was a Pima Donna. Guys like Greg Madill and Mick (Mister) McGeough were just plain horrible.

So yes, today's NHL officiating is fine with me. Not perfect. Never will be. But just fine.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The first thing I would meet on is curbing embellishment. Players used to be criticized and even laughed at, but now over the years "selling it" is not just becoming acceptable but actually a strategy.
As someone who never even wore face protection, I get infuriated when I see some big tough guy holding his face and overreacting when someone grazes his visor. They need to start calling the embellisher more, and if disputable, call them both.
I agree 100%, but it's not an easy penalty to call as some players have become very good actors. I wouldn't doubt if most teams have diving practices nowadays, because the PP has become a very useful tool to score goals

IIRC the NHL tried to crack down on embellishment/diving around 10 years ago by calling more embellishment penalties and even issued warnings and fines, but it didn't last long as embellishment/diving penalties and fines slowly disappeared, while embellishment/diving increased once again....and now it's come back into the game with a vengeance, because every team is guilty of it, and some players have mastered the art of diving/flopping to a tee

Reactions: mjhfb

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Your memory must be worse than mine.

Going back to the 1960's there were always "makeup" calls and game management. It is absolutely nothing new. Bruins and Flyers of the 70's would have been short-handed all of the time if there was no game management. And who decides what an "obvious" call is?

Tie games in the third it would warrant assault to receive a penalty back in the day. Wally Harris called the game like that from the opening faceoff. Bill Friday favored the visting teams because he relished the villian role. Fraiser was a Pima Donna. Guys like Greg Madill and Mick (Mister) McGeough were just plain horrible.

So yes, today's NHL officiating is fine with me. Not perfect. Never will be. But just fine.
I didn't say 'game management' was new, but it seems to be getting worse in recent years

An OBVIOUS penalty to me is a penalty that the ref gets a good look at and is 100% sure it is an infraction, not just seeing somebody fall down from 20 feet away and guess the player was tripped. (in other words - make damn sure there is an infraction and stop looking for something that isn't there)

Tim Peel was fired a couple of years ago (because he got caught on hot mic) for calling a penalty because he felt like it which seems to be a theme in NHL officiating....(and that's the kind of crap that has to stop). If Peel didn't get caught on hot mic, there's not doubt he'd still be reffing

I agree with most of your assessments of the refs you mentioned, and McGeough and Fraser were among the worst refs imo.
Two of my favourite refs were Bruce Hood and Dave Newell who officiated the games like they were supposed to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad