GDT: Game 29: Avs @ Panthers | 5 PM MT | December 6, 2018 | Suomi Finland Perkele

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think part of the reason the PK is stuck in "meh" mode is partially the personnel that keep getting used. I don't care what Bednar or anyone else thinks--Gabe Bourque is not that great a penalty killer. I'd argue he's not even good. Too passive, relies way too much on blocking shots, not enough awareness or anticipation to plug up passing lanes and the times he DOES get the puck, not enough skill to safely carry it out or clear the zone.

I'd also argue Soda's ability as a PKer is a little overrated. Not that he can't, just that I don't think he should be the go-to guy when a man down, even though he's responsible for a couple shorthanded goals.

The guys I'd use for sure would be Compher, Kamenev, Nieto, and Jost in that order. I'd also use Landeskog but obviously he gets a ton of work at even strength and the top power play so I'd limit him a bit. Kerf should be able to kill penalties as well quite adeptly. Bourque should be one of the last guys used to kill penalties, not one of the first.

And yes, I agree Z doesn't deserve all, or even a majority of the blame, but he doesn't come away unscathed on that play. That's his job to not only be aware of the back-door play, but also when he sees a gap in coverage. He was laser-focused on the puck carrier, as were all the other skaters there. The PK is still a bit of a weakness for this team, which, all things considered, is not a terrible thing since they're still winning and the power play, last night being a rare exception, is humming along quite nicely.

BTW, somewhat of a tangent here--it's really ridiculous how bad Soda is on faceoffs considering he cheats like crazy (got kicked out of the circle a ton of times last season with the new rules in place) and still manages to lose. I'll give him credit for winning a couple key defensive zone draws last night though.

Lastly, Barkov was amazing last night. He frustrated the living hell out of the top line last night to the point where Bednar had to break it up. Even Patrice Bergeron couldn't do that, and I usually consider him to be the Gold Standard of two-way centers.

Reactions: Avs_19

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gfycat doesn't work anymore?

Guess I'll have to use GD 1980s technology:

Gvafqdg.gif

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think part of the reason the PK is stuck in "meh" mode is partially the personnel that keep getting used. I don't care what Bednar or anyone else thinks--Gabe Bourque is not that great a penalty killer. I'd argue he's not even good. Too passive, relies way too much on blocking shots, not enough awareness or anticipation to plug up passing lanes and the times he DOES get the puck, not enough skill to safely carry it out or clear the zone.

I'd also argue Soda's ability as a PKer is a little overrated. Not that he can't, just that I don't think he should be the go-to guy when a man down, even though he's responsible for a couple shorthanded goals.

The guys I'd use for sure would be Compher, Kamenev, Nieto, and Jost in that order. I'd also use Landeskog but obviously he gets a ton of work at even strength and the top power play so I'd limit him a bit. Kerf should be able to kill penalties as well quite adeptly. Bourque should be one of the last guys used to kill penalties, not one of the first.

And yes, I agree Z doesn't deserve all, or even a majority of the blame, but he doesn't come away unscathed on that play. That's his job to not only be aware of the back-door play, but also when he sees a gap in coverage. He was laser-focused on the puck carrier, as were all the other skaters there. The PK is still a bit of a weakness for this team, which, all things considered, is not a terrible thing since they're still winning and the power play, last night being a rare exception, is humming along quite nicely.

BTW, somewhat of a tangent here--it's really ridiculous how bad Soda is on faceoffs considering he cheats like crazy (got kicked out of the circle a ton of times last season with the new rules in place) and still manages to lose. I'll give him credit for winning a couple key defensive zone draws last night though.

Lastly, Barkov was amazing last night. He frustrated the living hell out of the top line last night to the point where Bednar had to break it up. Even Patrice Bergeron couldn't do that, and I usually consider him to be the Gold Standard of two-way centers.

Good post, but if Calvert isn't one of your PKers, he shouldn't even be playing.

Awful hockey player and yes I'd take Bourque or anybody else over him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
gork is a waste of a roster spot. Calvert is ugly, but functional.

Calvert is the worst player on the team. He's worse than Nieto, Bourque, Dries, etc. I don't care about his contract, he is just legit bad.

Calvert can't pass. He can't control a pass. He certainly can't shoot. He doesn't really hit anybody. He skates fast to absolutely nowhere. He's not good defensively and I'm not sure how he ever gained a reputation of being a good defensive forward.

He's complete trash.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, he's great. I don't watch a ton of Panthers games so I really notice it in a game like this when he's matched up against the Avs top line. He made things very tough on them all game at even strength and also almost single-handedly stopped MacKinnon's break in on the PP and forced him turn back, which rarely happens when he's trying to gain the zone.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Calvert is the worst player on the team. He's worse than Nieto, Bourque, Dries, etc. I don't care about his contract, he is just legit bad.

Calvert can't pass. He can't control a pass. He certainly can't shoot. He doesn't really hit anybody. He skates fast to absolutely nowhere. He's not good defensively and I'm not sure how he ever gained a reputation of being a good defensive forward.

He's complete trash.
Yes, you don't like him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If Matt ****ing Calvert is this big of an "issue" .... things are going pretty damn good.

Is he great? No. Is he good? Nah. Is he average? depends on the night. But who cares? He's a minor annoyance in the grand scope of things.

This is a message board where we discuss the most trivial of topics. If this isn't where we can discuss the Avs roster, I don't know where that place is. Seems people are getting pretty uptight on calling out this awful signing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is a message board where we discuss the most trivial of topics. If this isn't where we can discuss the Avs roster, I don't know where that place is. Seems people are getting pretty uptight on calling out this awful signing.
Hey go for it. I never said it wasn't a bad signing, I'm just saying for me, as frustrating as he is, he doesn't really matter.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good post, but if Calvert isn't one of your PKers, he shouldn't even be playing.

Awful hockey player and yes I'd take Bourque or anybody else over him.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. No coincidence the lineup seemed to gel a little better when he was bumped down to the 4th line where he belongs.

I think Calvert is very good as a 4th line defensive guy who provides some speed and physicality on the forecheck. I've no problem with him in that capacity, it's when Bednar overplays him any higher that the warts in his game show.

And he's many levels better than Bourque. Bourque is unequivocally the worst player on the Avs, and that's a good thing, because there was a time when there were a number of fringe NHLers on this roster. And I still maintain that Nate Guenin was the worst blueliner in the NHL the last full season he played. He may have been the worst PLAYER in the league, but I'm guessing Tanner Glass was still around at that time so he gets a break there.

Nemeth is easily the team's worst defenseman. I'm glad to say that both he and Bourque are likely gone by next season, which should be what teams do with players like that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I didn't like the signing and in some ways still don't, but I'm largely okay with it. It's not gonna hurt the team in terms of cap space and I don't think he's an outright bad player, just a tad overpaid for what he brings.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Anyone who did not or has never watched a Florida feed is missing out. Potvin is pure comedy gold, nearly everything he says has something wrong with it. He gets names, rules, stats and information wrong. He might say something like this player is doing really well but lets talk about it later and he never does. He forgets what he is saying mid-sentence or just opens his mouth and every word that is coming out is nonsense. I am amazed that he has had the job for so long.

Yup.
I got really pissed when he said it is so impressive Finland has so many good players for a population of only 10 million.
C´mon, it is common knowledge we have around 5½.

Man get your facts straight

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

He's complete trash.

G Bourque seems worse. Calvert will throw some hits. On the PK he's been able to get down the ice and break up a few passes or disrupt the other team coming up the ice.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

He's complete trash.

We've seen what complete trash is with Marco Dano.

Does he have the most offense ability? Nope. He's a gritty energy player that always works hard - you need players like that throughout the lineup. He gets a million scoring chances which he whiffs on, but at least he has enough hockey sense to know where he's suppose to be. I get the hate because he is frustrating, but honestly i'd rather have Calvert playing every night than Bourque or 'Ghetto.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
G Bourque seems worse. Calvert will throw some hits. On the PK he's been able to get down the ice and break up a few passes or disrupt the other team coming up the ice.

He doesn't "seem" worse, he is worse. There's not even a question. I get he may frustrate some people but for anyone to truly say he's worse than a guy who is at best a fringe NHLer with ZERO puck skill is just plain ridiculousness. And FTR I know it isn't you saying that.

I really can't say much because I lost my mind on Soderberg a couple seasons ago in the Year of Suck and went waaaaay over the top with my denouncement of him. In a way I can understand the frustration and why he continues to get played for an insane amount of minutes (double, sometimes triple what he should be getting) but he's not a horrid player because the coach is overusing him.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Z deserves 'some' of the blame but certainly not all of the blame. Nemeth was out of position and out too far up on McCann which left 2 players completely untouched in front of the net. Z had the right idea to try and cover at least 1 of them but the timing of that decision was bad because Compher wasn't covering the middle lane and was covering the point shot with his stick instead. As Z moved to try and cover someone in front it opened up the lane even more. All in all though, it was PP goal and those are going to happen from time to time. I disagree that Z hasn't been good on the PK...I think he's been better than average.

Part of the reason that lane opened up is due to the Avs scheme with the forwards sweeping and switching sides as well. It's been working well for the past year + but it would be foolish to think other teams won't find ways to exploit it if they think they found a flaw.

If I had to place blame, I would say Compher was more to blame because if you have a choice, you give up the pass to the point rather than the cross-ice one. That's my take on it.

Capture

5vQ2ycH
This. You take the riskier option on the PK. If the choice is a pass to the point or a seam pass through the box you cover the bigger threat which is the guy closer to the net. That play by JTC would make more sense if say Shea Weber was on the point and he could do harm from there. I would also say that Z also should have his head on a swivel there. Maybe one of those things where everyone on the ice could be at fault.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't get the Calvert hate at all. Great PKer, solid pest, good speed and tenacious on the forecheck.

Not enough offense to be a 3rd liner like he's paid to be but he's a great 4th liner. He's just ~1.2M overpaid.
Definitely, and I know people hate "intangibles" talk, but he's a glue guy that everybody loves and he sets a great example by his work ethic and selflessness. I also think he's overpaid, but he's not some useless plug either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad