GDT: Game 29: Avs @ Panthers | 5 PM MT | December 6, 2018 | Suomi Finland Perkele

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Everyone was giving Sakic guff about losing ROR and "replacing" him with Soderberg. And then after the really bad year those people were more vocal.

But the fact is at the end of the day I'd take Soderberg, Zadorov and Compher over ROR any day of the week. Not to mention Greer is quietly having another solid year in the AHL so if he ever gets the chance here you can add another nice piece from that deal. And yes I do consider Soderberg part of that deal, since we wouldn't have gone after him had we not made a deal to move ROR.

Soderberg has been a big part in our play/ resurgence the past two seasons. Very reliable, just know what he is going to give you every night.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Everyone was giving Sakic guff about losing ROR and "replacing" him with Soderberg. And then after the really bad year those people were more vocal.

But the fact is at the end of the day I'd take Soderberg, Zadorov and Compher over ROR any day of the week. Not to mention Greer is quietly having another solid year in the AHL so if he ever gets the chance here you can add another nice piece from that deal. And yes I do consider Soderberg part of that deal, since we wouldn't have gone after him had we not made a deal to move ROR.

Soderberg has been a big part in our play/ resurgence the past two seasons. Very reliable, just know what he is going to give you every night.

When does Soderberg's contract expire?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Finished watching the game

1. Grubauer was solid tonight. That save on Dadbod on the breakaway was the turning point of the game. That goes in and who knows how this game turns out.

2. The boys were solid from start to finish a very impressive road win. Everyone worked tonight. Dont think I saw any passengers out there. Alot of puck support out the zone. Little 3 foot passes to linemates. Loved that shit.

3. Cole rebounded very nicely from a hellish game in Pittsburgh. Looked alot more poise with the puck and made smart plays in his zone.

4. So Colin Wilson played with Carl Soderberg in the third and the result was an immediate goal. This needs to be a thing. Drop Colin off Jost and Kerfs line and put him with Soda and Nieto.

5. Was weird seeing the top line broken up but it worked out pretty nicely for Landy and Mackinnon as JTC came through in the clutch once again for the GWG. Pretty obvious now that Mikko has been holding that line back.

6. Like Josts game alot tonight but damnit he needs to settle down on those odd man rushes and make a play. Also, would love to see him shoot a ton more. Hes got a very good release but we dont see it enough.

7. Barrie was damn good tonight as he has been for a good while now. Really liked he was skating tonight and making plays. To bad that Hejduk move he pulled hit the crossbar.

8. Rantanen pulling out the nunchuks on Yandle was damn hilarious. I chuckled for a good minute when he did that. Mikko needs to get back to his moving his feet more. I love the power move and puck protection thing but learn when to do that and when to skate. He will figure it out.

9. Z is good for one bone crushing check every game. That was a huge hit he laid out in the first. Also, not sure why that fat AJ guy was saying that his fault on the Ekblad goal. That pass from McCann cannot get through on that play. Z had his hands full with two Panthers in front of Grubs.

10. LBN has put together a string of good games. Perhaps hes finding his game again. He hasnt been good for most of the season at all but seems the last few games hes using his speed again. Almost another shorty for him tonight.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Finally got a chance to watch an Avs game same day. Been trying to catch up on games since Thanksgiving.

Solid effort by the team tonight. This was one of those iffy games in the 2nd and early in the 3rd that they might have lost a few years ago. Now they're a more seasoned group and they just kept pushing and pushing until they broke the will of the other team.

Helped a lot by that line shuffle by Bednar switching Compher with Mikko. That really seemed to ignite Nate and Landy, and JTC finished it off with a beautiful deflection.

Soda just keeps on keepin on. He's so good around the net. He just has a great feel for where the pucks gonna be, and how to put it in the back of the net. Such a stabilizing presence up the middle too.

Nieto with another really good game. He's really starting to find his groove again and hard work is the key to his success. If he can keep playing this way for an extended period of time it will really take pressure off the top dogs. Him and Soda contributing to some momentum gaining shifts is huge for this team. Unfortunately Calvert can only be counted on to win corner battles.

Grubauer with another good game but I hope they're not trying to manufacture a goalie controversy here, when there doesn't need to be one. Varly should get next game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hopefully, Nieto is warming up one of his hot streaks here. He was like this last year too, where he plays invisible for weeks and then goes hot for a while. He did score 15 last year, let's hope he gets going on getting back to those numbers in the next month.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hopefully, Nieto is warming up one of his hot streaks here. He was like this last year too, where he plays invisible for weeks and then goes hot for a while. He did score 15 last year, let's hope he gets going on getting back to those numbers in the next month.

He is streaky, but he was also very effective for large portions of last year. If he can find that gear again, it will be a huge help. Even if he isn't scoring. The momentum that line generates from hard working shifts in the O zone leads to a lot of good things.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
hqdefault.jpg

M for Mikko.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Yeah but it depends of what kind of playoff help you are talking about. I doubt that we can get a top 6 winger or a top 4 quality Dman back from the other team. We won't trade Varly for 3rd, 4th liners. If the Avs feel that they will loose Varly for nothing, they can find a team desperate enough to give us their 1st round pick, hopefully which would be another lottery pick.

This is completely unrealistic, imo:

1. A shoe-in playoff-team (God, that feels good to say!) extremely rarely trade away upcoming UFA's (Blues being one)
2. Doing so, is the FO telling the whole team they don't trust them doing anything in the playoffs (See Blues after the Stastny-trade)

3. If we should trade Varly, our #1 need would be a #1 goalie.... There has been a big difference between Varly and Grubauer thus far and in addition we would be one Grubauer injury away from running a Frank/Martin-tandem. Disaster ensues.
4. If Varly is traded for a 1st it would be to another shoe-in playoff-team so the 1st would be very late.

5. The only way a Varly-trade is happening, imo, is an Ottawa-like implosion which for us would require 2 of 9296 and both of Barrie/EJ going down for an extended period of time so we're well outside the playoff-picture come deadline-time. As long as we're a playoff-team we won't, and shouldn't, trade him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Soderberg’s been great. In saying that if somebody told me I could trade Soderberg, Zadorov, Compher and Greer for ROR right now I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

9. Z is good for one bone crushing check every game. That was a huge hit he laid out in the first. Also, not sure why that fat AJ guy was saying that his fault on the Ekblad goal. That pass from McCann cannot get through on that play. Z had his hands full with two Panthers in front of Grubs.

I am guessing that he thought Z was responsible for the back door player on the PP. But as you mentioned, its a coaching and scheme problem if he is responsible for defending two players in front of the net and the back door player as well.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
FLA played quite well frankly, Avs had a good beginning and good end to the game, but the 2nd was mostly FLA. What changed the game was splitting up the top line to confuse their coach and Barkov.

Jost played well. He somehow seems taller.

Gasp...he's heightening!!!

First off - that FLA broadcasting was pretty brutal last night. Denis Potvin, I loved you as a player but I think it's time to retire. "No goaltender interference?? Of course there was interference! Does it matter if the player was pushed in?" [he seemed to legitimately NOT know the answer :facepalm: ]

I thought Bednar splitting up the top line in the 3rd was brilliant as it forced Colin Wilson down the lineup and we finally had 2 dangerous lines that had some jump. I think it's important to have that option when 9296 are either not working or getting shut-down. Imagine being on the 2nd line and going from Colin Wilson to Mikko Rantanen as your linemate!!!! LOL

Lastly, I thought Grubauer played a great game and was probably the #1 star. That breakaway save on Dadonov made a big difference. Good to see him playing well and I hope he can follow it up.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
First off - that FLA broadcasting was pretty brutal last night. Denis Potvin, I loved you as a player but I think it's time to retire. "No goaltender interference?? Of course there was interference! Does it matter if the player was pushed in?" [he seemed to legitimately NOT know the answer :facepalm: ]
Anyone who did not or has never watched a Florida feed is missing out. Potvin is pure comedy gold, nearly everything he says has something wrong with it. He gets names, rules, stats and information wrong. He might say something like this player is doing really well but lets talk about it later and he never does. He forgets what he is saying mid-sentence or just opens his mouth and every word that is coming out is nonsense. I am amazed that he has had the job for so long.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

1. Grubauer was solid tonight. That save on Dadbod on the breakaway was the turning point of the game. That goes in and who knows how this game turns out.

2. The boys were solid from start to finish a very impressive road win. Everyone worked tonight. Dont think I saw any passengers out there. Alot of puck support out the zone. Little 3 foot passes to linemates. Loved that ****.

3. Cole rebounded very nicely from a hellish game in Pittsburgh. Looked alot more poise with the puck and made smart plays in his zone.

4. So Colin Wilson played with Carl Soderberg in the third and the result was an immediate goal. This needs to be a thing. Drop Colin off Jost and Kerfs line and put him with Soda and Nieto.

5. Was weird seeing the top line broken up but it worked out pretty nicely for Landy and Mackinnon as JTC came through in the clutch once again for the GWG. Pretty obvious now that Mikko has been holding that line back.

6. Like Josts game alot tonight but damnit he needs to settle down on those odd man rushes and make a play. Also, would love to see him shoot a ton more. Hes got a very good release but we dont see it enough.

7. Barrie was damn good tonight as he has been for a good while now. Really liked he was skating tonight and making plays. To bad that Hejduk move he pulled hit the crossbar.

8. Rantanen pulling out the nunchuks on Yandle was damn hilarious. I chuckled for a good minute when he did that. Mikko needs to get back to his moving his feet more. I love the power move and puck protection thing but learn when to do that and when to skate. He will figure it out.

10. LBN has put together a string of good games. Perhaps hes finding his game again. He hasnt been good for most of the season at all but seems the last few games hes using his speed again. Almost another shorty for him tonight.

Agreed with everything here except that Z doesn't deserve blame for the back-door Ekblad PPG. He needs to be aware that guy is sneaking in, he can't be puck-watching along with everyone else. And he was pulled WAY too far over to boot. There's a reason the overused term "head on a swivel" is overused. If he wants to be a shutdown guy he needs to know what's going on around him, especially on the PK. And frankly, Z is actually not very good on the PK. A lot of the goals scored this year have been on the side he's defending.

I'll have to admit that I did not think Long Beach Native was that good defensively. His defensive play of late has been aces, and it's no coincidence he's getting more scoring chances as a result. Not sure what the problem was to start the season but he's anticipating better instead of chasing the play like he was earlier.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agreed with everything here except that Z doesn't deserve blame for the back-door Ekblad PPG. He needs to be aware that guy is sneaking in, he can't be puck-watching along with everyone else. And he was pulled WAY too far over to boot. There's a reason the overused term "head on a swivel" is overused. If he wants to be a shutdown guy he needs to know what's going on around him, especially on the PK. And frankly, Z is actually not very good on the PK. A lot of the goals scored this year have been on the side he's defending.

I'll have to admit that I did not think Long Beach Native was that good defensively. His defensive play of late has been aces, and it's no coincidence he's getting more scoring chances as a result. Not sure what the problem was to start the season but he's anticipating better instead of chasing the play like he was earlier.

I think Z deserves 'some' of the blame but certainly not all of the blame. Nemeth was out of position and out too far up on McCann which left 2 players completely untouched in front of the net. Z had the right idea to try and cover at least 1 of them but the timing of that decision was bad because Compher wasn't covering the middle lane and was covering the point shot with his stick instead. As Z moved to try and cover someone in front it opened up the lane even more. All in all though, it was PP goal and those are going to happen from time to time. I disagree that Z hasn't been good on the PK...I think he's been better than average.

Part of the reason that lane opened up is due to the Avs scheme with the forwards sweeping and switching sides as well. It's been working well for the past year + but it would be foolish to think other teams won't find ways to exploit it if they think they found a flaw.

If I had to place blame, I would say Compher was more to blame because if you have a choice, you give up the pass to the point rather than the cross-ice one. That's my take on it.

Capture

5vQ2ycH

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad