GDT: Game 29: Avs @ Panthers | 5 PM MT | December 6, 2018 | Suomi Finland Perkele

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Calvert appears to be a great team first guy and I've no problem with him at all. I also don't give a flying f*** if he's overpaid, it's not my money and it has no impact whatsoever on our cap situation.

We'll start worrying about overpaid players when we have no cap room left to sign our good players. Calvert's contract will have expired by then.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Could be, but again, I don't know if that is accounting for traffic at all. In any case it appears to be too far for most Miami folks to make the trek.

40 mins is accurate from the core. You lose all the people in the south of Miami-Dade county by having them play at the BB&T center, but to be honest, the demographics in Broward County are probably better suited for a hockey team, and there are still like 2 million people who live there. If the team could build a track record of being competitive and exciting, I don’t see why Broward’s base couldn’t develop the way Tampa’s has, as there are a lot of northeast, Canadian, and European transplants in Broward. People in Miami-Dade county are much more likely to be from South America and put soccer, football, baseball, basketball first. Plus watching those other teams is harder for the people in Broward and Palm Beach counties because they would have to drive all the way south.

I don’t think the location is the biggest barrier; I think it’s the team ranging between being awful and mediocre for most of its 20 year history.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t think the location is the biggest barrier; I think it’s the team ranging between being awful and mediocre for most of its 20 year history.

Agreed wholeheartedly but at this point it's a chicken-or-egg kinda thing. People don't want to pay money to see a lackluster product and conversely, it's a money-losing venture for whatever owner tries to take it on. Previous owners tried to bankroll them only to order a stripping down of assets and eventual sale. I think it's the exact same situation as Arizona--ownership will never be stable enough for long enough to build a proper contender in that area.

In other words, that is, IMO, the best core of talent the Panthers have had by far and they're still finding ways to lose and lose often. I would really like to see them succeed but I don't think they ever will long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->