Post-Game Talk: GAME 28 - WINNER WINNER FISHSTICKS DINNER!!!! - BRUINS 4 Islanders 3 F/SO

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Uruk-Hai account found.

I always suspected.....

The only place I could see him is as an upgrade to Nosek.

An expensive upgrade to Nosek.

Curious though if he really would be. I may be wrong (and likely am), but I don't think his cap hit would be the full amount if traded for at the TDL. It looks like Toews has already roughly $3.6 million of his cap this season. Just for easy/rough math lets say by the TDL he's accumulated $7 million of his cap space then the acquire team would only be hit with the difference of $4.5 million against the cap. If CHI then retains 50% for the rest of the season its down to $2.25 million (again rough numbers).

@DominicT do I have that right or am I wrong yet again lol

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Most of Forbort's success differential from his peers on the PK is on ice s% which has no statistical correlation to D performance. There isn't a wide range of difference between Forbort and the rest of the d on CA/60, SA/60, xG/60 or HDCA/60 on the PK with and without Forbort but his on ice s% (and by extension his pdo) is way higher than everyone else. Aka good fortune has him standing amongst the group. That said - the shot and chance data for him, carlo, lindholm - everyone on the PK is elite, so their PK is great this year. This is not an insult, this is context. This is me giving him credit for his actual performance and not things he's done nothing to achieve.

Carlo starts in the dzone more often against harder competition and gives up significantly less across the board. That's what I meant. He is a whipping boy though, and everyone loves Forbort.

RE: the "if you've played hockey!" this is a lazy cop out. I'm glad his teammates like him and think his role is valuable - they also believe if they lose on a night where they wear a new suit, they cant ever wear the suit again and most of them stopped going to class in 9th grade.

Re; the bolded - I didn't include them because one isn't on the team and the other is a scratch. I was obviously talking about the regular top 6 d, of which Forborts contribution is measurably and objectively 6th. I also resent the insinuation that I'm downplaying the player when I specifically said in my post he's playing above league average D. That represents a SIGNIFICANT upgrade on his play last year.

You would know one when you see one, that’s for sure.
Re: if you've played hockey isnt a lazy cop out at all. It's a point that you can't possibly quantify everything that a player brings to a team to decide if a player is crap or not. Believe it or not HUMANS play this game who have changes in emotion based on things like the massive hit laid by Forbort last night or a massive PK kill.

I like your posts, but sometimes it seems like you believe everyone who plays is robotic and will automatically follow a formula with no room for anomalies or outside influence. I truly don't know anyone this year who could watch Forbort and still come crap on him except for you.

Perhaps the PK as a unit is elite because other players see Forbort give his body and limb each time he gets out there and decide they need to up their game? There is no way you can possibly quantify or rule out an impact like that can you?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Re: if you've played hockey isnt a lazy cop out at all. It's a point that you can't possibly quantify everything that a player brings to a team to decide if a player is crap or not. Believe it or not HUMANS play this game who have changes in emotion based on things like the massive hit laid by Forbort last night or a massive PK kill.

I like your posts, but sometimes it seems like you believe everyone who plays is robotic and will automatically follow a formula with no room for anomalies or outside influence. I truly don't know anyone this year who could watch Forbort and still come crap on him except for you.

Perhaps the PK as a unit is elite because other players see Forbort give his body and limb each time he gets out there and decide they need to up their game? There is no way you can possibly quantify or rule out an impact like that can you?
Wish I could like this 50 times. I agree wholeheartedly.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

This is such a mischaracterization of my position and a misunderstanding of data as an evaluation tool. You believe these things, therefore your confirmation bias is saying they have an effect. When you ascribe value to that confirmation bias is when people like me think you believe the sun rotates around the earth.

When you say "you cant quantify everything" its a means of invalidating what you can qualify despite millions of data points creating statistical significance. You're replacing that objective measurement with magic underwear.

High Danger chances/60 on the kill

20-21 (no Forbort) - 16.32
21-22 (Forbort) - 18.25
22-23 (Forbort) - 18.22
22-23 (w/o Forbort) - 18.32

Before you go nuts, that 1/10 of a chance adds up to less than 1/100th of a high danger chance per kill lol.

Their PK is elite because it's elite. Forbort is a part of that and gets credit for that. What he doesn't get is the magic underwear credit you're hoping to assign to him here. Neither does Carlo or Lindholm or anyone, btw. There isn't a player on this team (even Bergeron) who is having a marked impact on PK performance. It's a good system with disciplined players playing it.

So you're right, can I quantify the emotional impact that Forbort has laying that guy out yesterday? I can't. But what I can quantify is the teams performance as a result and that is 1 millions times more significant than someone's feeling about what happened. The numbers are objective, magic underwear is not.

And to the bolded, AGAIN, stop saying I'm crapping on him. I was responding to someone who said something statistically incorrect when this discussion began and I've consistently said his play is better than league average and his PK performance is elite. You guys just want me to say OHMYGOD I LOVE HIM SO MUCH instead of having an actual conversation about what's happening on the ice.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wondering if someone else can confirm my math on this. The Bruins have allowed 15 PPG's this year with what looks like 11 of those coming while Forbort was out injured. If my math is right:

PK w/ Forbort = 93.3%
PK w/o Forbort = 76.1%

Could be a crazy coincidence, but if my numbers are good then that is quite a difference.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Good win.

At least three juicy opportunties for NYI in the third.

Master of the Obvious: DeBrusk brings size, speed and skill. When he's going, he's going like a freight train.

Note that since Cassidy gave Jake a golden opportunity on the first line last season -- a master stroke, Cassidy haters -- Debrusk has not disaapointed.

He's been consistent, most importantly. Consistency, or lack thereof, had been his greatest failing.

Now DeBrusk seems to be realizing his potential. When he's good, and he's been very good, it's all there. I'm heartened and impressed.

DeBrusk earned his spot up higher in the lineup last season after playing well and more engaged on the 3rd/4th lines. Also, the change was also a bit of a gun to Cassidy's head moment: the team was struggling with the offense a bit stagnant, and Cassidy had to turn to his players for opinions on how to change the vibe of the team. Moving Pasta to the 2nd line and DeBrusk to the 1st saved the 2nd half of the season for the Bruins.

I think DeBrusk has taken his game to another level this year. His playmaking looks miles better than it's ever been and he's a more assertive skater with and without the puck.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Wondering if someone else can confirm my math on this. The Bruins have allowed 15 PPG's this year with what looks like 11 of those coming while Forbort was out injured. If my math is right:

PK w/ Forbort = 93.3%
PK w/o Forbort = 76.1%

Could be a crazy coincidence, but if my numbers are good then that is quite a difference

So, to maybe explain the way I look at this a little better. This is an interesting anomaly because when he was healthy, there wasn't a huge difference between his unit and the other units in performance. So it's interesting to me to figure out why there was such a massive difference when he wasn't playing, because there wasn't one when he was playing, just not on the ice? You'll be shocked to know that I actually looked into it.

On the day Forbort got hurt, the bruins had a 96.89 on ice sv%. There have been a bunch of studies about on ice s% and there is no evidence that players on the ice can influence this stat relative to their teammates. To give you an example, on this team, you'd expect the on ice sv% to be higher with McAvoy on the ice than when Dan Renouf is on the ice but it doesn't work like that. When Forbort was out, that on ice s% on the PK was 79%. Since he returned its 94%. I've already listed the high danger chance discrepancies and they are marginal at best. So while it looks like not having him made a huge difference, it was probably a small sample anomaly of chances ending up in the net that normalized pretty quickly.

Frankly- I don't think 94% is sustainable either given their chance data. I expect them to lose 2-3% as part of that regression, regardless of who is playing.

tl;dr - small sample size anomaly

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This is such a mischaracterization of my position and a misunderstanding of data as an evaluation tool. You believe these things, therefore your confirmation bias is saying they have an effect. When you ascribe value to that confirmation bias is when people like me think you believe the sun rotates around the earth.

When you say "you cant quantify everything" its a means of invalidating what you can qualify despite millions of data points creating statistical significance. You're replacing that objective measurement with magic underwear.

High Danger chances/60 on the kill

20-21 (no Forbort) - 16.32
21-22 (Forbort) - 18.25
22-23 (Forbort) - 18.22
22-23 (w/o Forbort) - 18.32

Before you go nuts, that 1/10 of a chance adds up to less than 1/100th of a high danger chance per kill lol.

Their PK is elite because it's elite. Forbort is a part of that and gets credit for that. What he doesn't get is the magic underwear credit you're hoping to assign to him here. Neither does Carlo or Lindholm or anyone, btw. There isn't a player on this team (even Bergeron) who is having a marked impact on PK performance. It's a good system with disciplined players playing it.

So you're right, can I quantify the emotional impact that Forbort has laying that guy out yesterday? I can't. But what I can quantify is the teams performance as a result and that is 1 millions times more significant than someone's feeling about what happened. The numbers are objective, magic underwear is not.

And to the bolded, AGAIN, stop saying I'm crapping on him. I was responding to someone who said something statistically incorrect when this discussion began and I've consistently said his play is better than league average and his PK performance is elite. You guys just want me to say OHMYGOD I LOVE HIM SO MUCH instead of having an actual conversation about what's happening on the ice.
And the first bolded is a gross mischaracterization of my stance as well. I have no intention of invalidating the available data points at all. They are there, they have meaning and use. The difference is I don’t think they are perfection and I don't think they truly can tell you the full story without watching the game itself. My post only means to open you up to different logical thinking (ie the effect the things you cannot quantify may have on the game and how they may affect numbers that YOU say is explained as 'chance' but I say can be explained in other ways), rather than to completely illigetimize your argument.

As for the 2nd bolded that's actually outright false. Sure, the peripheral analytics are saying the team is just as good with and without him on the PK and therefore he isn't making an impact above and beyond. I get that logically his PK numbers should come down and quantifiably he isn't making a larger impact given the numbers you provided....except for the fact that every single PK goal scored this goal EXCEPT FOR 1 was with him not on the ice. How is that not making an impact above other people? Because analytics are saying that it shouldn't be happening?

Let's look at another stat....Bruins PK% up until November 1st (the game that Forbort gets hurt) is 94.6%. Care to venture a guess what their PK looks like the next month that Forbort is out? 78%. Is that just fluke as well? Is there something outside of analytics that could be an answer for this? Dare I say, is Forbort just damn good at his role? And guess what happens to the PK when Forbort is back? Stop me if you heard this before....it improves once again, to the tune of 91.8%.

BTW, the person you replied to said that Forbort is an example of defensmens primary job, which is making it harder to score and not transition and puck moving (paraphrasing the poster). YOU came in and said "he gives up the most ga/60 minutes."

Where did he say anything statistically incorrect? Harder to score against is a pretty broad term, it's not like he was claiming "Forbort is the best defensive dman in the league" or "Forbort is an elite shutdown dman." He simply offered his opinion on the style of defense he plays vs. a transition dman, and you saw it as an opportunity to downplay Forbort, IMO at least.

I don't think our difference in philosiphy is vast, by trade I am an numbers guy both in my schooling and in my job, I just continue to disagree with how you view Forbort, while I generally agree with how you view the other Bruins. Guys like Forbort...I just think analytics never will do them justice.

LASTLY, I have zero clue what magic underwear means nor does google apparently.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
DeBrusk earned his spot up higher in the lineup last season after playing well and more engaged on the 3rd/4th lines. Also, the change was also a bit of a gun to Cassidy's head moment: the team was struggling with the offense a bit stagnant, and Cassidy had to turn to his players for opinions on how to change the vibe of the team. Moving Pasta to the 2nd line and DeBrusk to the 1st saved the 2nd half of the season for the Bruins.

I think DeBrusk has taken his game to another level this year. His playmaking looks miles better than it's ever been and he's a more assertive skater with and without the puck.

Also have to take into account that his mental health is doing much better. He looks healthy. His smile is back. The dark circles are gone. He looks...content. I'm so happy for him.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I see no need to get into a war about the merits of this or that defender because they’re all doing a solid job so far. One of the notable and impressive things when you do dive into the analytics is the consistency and the fact that all the players have very similar stats. Amongst the 8 defenders that have played at least 10 games so far this season, all their 5v5 CF percentages are between 51 and 54, SF% is 50-56 with just one low outlier in Reilly, xGF% is 53-59 and SCF% 51-58.

The actual GF% is where you get some separation, with Gryz rocking an outstanding 76%, Carlo, Chucky, Hampus, Cliffy and Forbort sitting in a group from 63-68, and poor Reilly and Little Z not looking so flash on this front. But this stat in particular is where you start to get into discussions around how much of these numbers is down to sheer luck, and which forwards you play with more often. For example Gryz’s advanced numbers are actually down a little this year compared to the last couple of seasons, but his all-important GF% has never been better. That’s hockey, and it’s why the numbers are a useful tool when used properly but certainly not the whole picture.

Bottom line is the D is getting it done. There’s definitely room for improvement but the pleasing thing is they’re all pitching in and there are no weak links. Everyone’s filling their role, and that’s important to recognize. Yeah Gryz is driving offense and scoring more than Forbort because that’s his job. As long as Derek is doing his part as primarily a shutdown D – and he is – then he’s being equally effective. I’d love to see a Luke Schenn-type added because I think some extra grit, experience and depth would be a big help for what is hopefully a long playoff run, but otherwise I’m very comfortable with where this defensive group is at.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Curious though if he really would be. I may be wrong (and likely am), but I don't think his cap hit would be the full amount if traded for at the TDL. It looks like Toews has already roughly $3.6 million of his cap this season. Just for easy/rough math lets say by the TDL he's accumulated $7 million of his cap space then the acquire team would only be hit with the difference of $4.5 million against the cap. If CHI then retains 50% for the rest of the season its down to $2.25 million (again rough numbers).

@DominicT do I have that right or am I wrong yet again lol
It all depends on how you are calculating it.

If your go to move is to go to CapFriendly and look at their current cap space column (which becomes trade deadline space later in the year) there is no calculating to do. That is a player's AAV that can be added - no prorating, no calculating, it is strictly the AAV that can be added.

In other words, if you have $2 million in cap space today and Cap Friendly's "Current Cap Space" says $3,100,000 then you can add a player like Craig Smith and still be cap compliant even though you only have $2 million in cap space. (AAV is 3.1 million but you only have $2 million in space - CapFriendly does the math for you).

If you are doing the math yourself and ignoring CapFriendly, I don't know the answer to your question because I have no idea how your calculating it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I see no need to get into a war about the merits of this or that defender because they’re all doing a solid job so far. One of the notable and impressive things when you do dive into the analytics is the consistency and the fact that all the players have very similar stats. Amongst the 8 defenders that have played at least 10 games so far this season, all their 5v5 CF percentages are between 51 and 54, SF% is 50-56 with just one low outlier in Reilly, xGF% is 53-59 and SCF% 51-58.

The actual GF% is where you get some separation, with Gryz rocking an outstanding 76%, Carlo, Chucky, Hampus, Cliffy and Forbort sitting in a group from 63-68, and poor Reilly and Little Z not looking so flash on this front. But this stat in particular is where you start to get into discussions around how much of these numbers is down to sheer luck, and which forwards you play with more often. For example Gryz’s advanced numbers are actually down a little this year compared to the last couple of seasons, but his all-important GF% has never been better. That’s hockey, and it’s why the numbers are a useful tool when used properly but certainly not the whole picture.

Bottom line is the D is getting it done. There’s definitely room for improvement but the pleasing thing is they’re all pitching in and there are no weak links. Everyone’s filling their role, and that’s important to recognize. Yeah Gryz is driving offense and scoring more than Forbort because that’s his job. As long as Derek is doing his part as primarily a shutdown D – and he is – then he’s being equally effective. I’d love to see a Luke Schenn-type added because I think some extra grit, experience and depth would be a big help for what is hopefully a long playoff run, but otherwise I’m very comfortable with where this defensive group is at.
I think the current GF% is likely too small of a sample size, given the fact that Forbort should likely be nowhere near 60%, but given the team has only been outscored in what....5 games? it does make sense.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
And the first bolded is a gross mischaracterization of my stance as well. I have no intention of invalidating the available data points at all. They are there, they have meaning and use. The difference is I don’t think they are perfection and I don't think they truly can tell you the full story without watching the game itself. My post only means to open you up to different logical thinking (ie the effect the things you cannot quantify may have on the game and how they may affect numbers that YOU say is explained as 'chance' but I say can be explained in other ways), rather than to completely illigetimize your argument.

As for the 2nd bolded that's actually outright false. Sure, the peripheral analytics are saying the team is just as good with and without him on the PK and therefore he isn't making an impact above and beyond. I get that logically his PK numbers should come down and quantifiably he isn't making a larger impact given the numbers you provided....except for the fact that every single PK goal scored this goal EXCEPT FOR 1 was with him not on the ice. How is that not making an impact above other people? Because analytics are saying that it shouldn't be happening?

Let's look at another stat....Bruins PK% up until November 1st (the game that Forbort gets hurt) is 94.6%. Care to venture a guess what their PK looks like the next month that Forbort is out? 78%. Is that just fluke as well? Is there something outside of analytics that could be an answer for this? Dare I say, is Forbort just damn good at his role? And guess what happens to the PK when Forbort is back? Stop me if you heard this before....it improves once again, to the tune of 91.8%.

BTW, the person you replied to said that Forbort is an example of defensmens primary job, which is making it harder to score and not transition and puck moving (paraphrasing the poster). YOU came in and said "he gives up the most ga/60 minutes."

Where did he say anything statistically incorrect? Harder to score against is a pretty broad term, it's not like he was claiming "Forbort is the best defensive dman in the league" or "Forbort is an elite shutdown dman." He simply offered his opinion on the style of defense he plays vs. a transition dman, and you saw it as an opportunity to downplay Forbort, IMO at least.

I don't think our difference in philosiphy is vast, by trade I am an numbers guy both in my schooling and in my job, I just continue to disagree with how you view Forbort, while I generally agree with how you view the other Bruins. Guys like Forbort...I just think analytics never will do them justice.

LASTLY, I have zero clue what magic underwear means nor does google apparently.

I appreciate the effort on this post. I'll give you the respect of a reply, but we can call it. You continue to put words in my mouth and I don't think its reasonable to continue. We are two ships passing in the night.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I appreciate the effort on this post. I'll give you the respect of a reply, but we can call it. You continue to put words in my mouth and I don't think its reasonable to continue. We are two ships passing in the night.
Fair enough, I get a lot of thoughts running through my head at once when reading posts as long as yours and I may misinterpret/forget/jumble together a lot of what you said. I appreciate the time you take as always, hopefully you aren't taking my posts as hating on your analytical approach, as others may show towards you.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I had wanted to break up that first line for years.

Things *had* become stagnant, and you basically had a one-line team. Which, as with St louis, and elsewhere, if you shut down that line, you shut down the bruins. That's just no good. It just doesn't work. It might get you through the regular season, but that's it.

Bruce finally broke up that line around new years, and it made all the difference. Instantly, there was depth on the second line. So, I give him great credit for that, however belated the decision was.

Now, under montgomery, the way he changes lines in game, you can go back to the quote unquote perfection line - a phrase I always hated - or mix and match. You've got Taylor Hall on the 3rd line. That's really all you need to know.

Speech to text!

✌️😎

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think the current GF% is likely too small of a sample size, given the fact that Forbort should likely be nowhere near 60%, but given the team has only been outscored in what....5 games? it does make sense.

Yeah probably a little bit. 28 games is enough to get a fairly good representation of where things are at, but the chance/luck factor is still going to be quite high as well. Probably worth revisiting at the half-way point and seeing how things look then.

And of course everyone's numbers are going to be good with the team's W/L record. But it's the similarity that I still find notable - everyone is doing pretty well, no-one's having to carry the team and no-one's a drag. Obviously someone like McAvoy takes more of the load, but each guy is doing his bit with the ice time and situations he's given.

Reactions: NDiesel

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
1 PK goal against with Forbort on the ice. That is absolutely elite, yeah he isn't pretty in what he does, and Ullmark gets credit too, but what a huge plus it is for this team to not have to rely on McAvoy or Lindholm as their primary PKers. It's going to pay huge dividends as the season goes deeper and deeper. He plays very tough minutes that allow others to play more freely. Starts the lowest amount in the oZone of all D and the 2nd most in the D Zone as well.

Everyone has a role, and best believe his teammates appreciate it probably more than any of us fans. If you've played hockey yourself you should know that not everything is quantifiable to a team.

Edit: Stralman and Zboril give up more GA/60 btw, little disingenuous to say he lets the most with out mentioning he's at 2.4 while lindholm is 1.8, Mac 1.4 while obviously starting less often in the DZone.....he's playing well, you can admit it you know.
I really like his game. Nice having a good sized defenseman who blocks shots, plays his position, and plays a physical game. He is definitely value added.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Ottawa was on a back to back - travel from Florida after the win the day before.

Funny that three of the four losses aren't "standard" games in any way.

Ottawa's home opener when they still had irrational hope, with their all time great making a surprise appearance.

Florida - the night before Thanksgiving. Look at the other results that night around the league.

Toronto - Mitch Miller saga in full swing.

And Arizona was "standard" though we got a shit icing call to make it happen.

Florida is really the only game we weren't in.
Your right on all and to add I believe Arizona was away from home for 4 or 5 weeks before playing the B’s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad