Post-Game Talk: GAME 28 - WINNER WINNER FISHSTICKS DINNER!!!! - BRUINS 4 Islanders 3 F/SO

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1670986627522.png

1670986705093.png

1670986742706.png

1670986778070.png

1670986813432.png

1670986878577.png

Froggy_Free_Beer-777.jpg

GAME SUMMARY

EVENT SUMMARY

PLAY BY PLAY

FACEOFF SUMMARY

FACEOFF COMPARISON

TOI - BRUINS

TOI - ISLANDERS

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good game. Little frustrating the way the Islanders slow the play down, shut down space and keep things tight, but that's what works for them. Otherwise it was a good tough contest. Bruins probably didn't have the better of it 5v5 but the special teams were solid and they fought through some heavy legs to do enough to get the game to extra time. And the shootout performance was much better.

DeBrusk was outstanding. Defense was passable, Forbort made his mark again. Pasta had his moments as usual. Good on Greer for throwing down with Martin but otherwise he had a bad night and was understandably benched in the 3rd. I'd like to see Lauko again at some point or whoever else in Providence currently most deserves a shot.

Good learning experience for the Bs. NY still know how to take the game away from Boston and get it on their terms, and Monty and the boys will need to have a good look at this and find better ways to counter it. The Isles could well be in the playoff mix, and other teams can play this shutdown/strong neutral zone style too, like Carolina. Something to work on for the Bruins. But they have time to do that. 2 more points in the bag is the main thing for now. On to the Kings.

aguineapig

Linus "Out of this World" Ullmark. Jake has found himself and we're all glad Donny gave him the time to look. Haven't seen footwork like Pasta showed in the shootout since the Disco Days of the 70's. Zacha with another Krejci like look with the pass to Forbort for the shorty. I remember when Forbort signed last summer, someone posted he was a JAG. Weren't sure what that meant but I finally figured it out, Just A Giant on the PK.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
In a game where the team was tired, you don’t love Greer getting less than 8 minutes of TOI and Smith getting a shade over 9 minutes. Neither should be in the starting 12.
With DK out of the line-up it weakens both the 2nd and 4th lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13Hockey

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Good win.

At least three juicy opportunties for NYI in the third.

Master of the Obvious: DeBrusk brings size, speed and skill. When he's going, he's going like a freight train.

Note that since Cassidy gave Jake a golden opportunity on the first line last season -- a master stroke, Cassidy haters -- Debrusk has not disaapointed.

He's been consistent, most importantly. Consistency, or lack thereof, had been his greatest failing.

Now DeBrusk seems to be realizing his potential. When he's good, and he's been very good, it's all there. I'm heartened and impressed.

PS They are going to need Swayman to step in soon, for at least a few starts. Perhaps even consecutive starts.

You can't expect Ullmark to keep putting up those numbers, and you can't expect him to keep up that pace.

Certain Montgomery & Co. understand this, and will execute accordingly.

Hey, hey, a fine win.

This one's for you, Mione134.

Put in my request with the hockey gods.

They said,

"Okay. Let's do that."
:cool:

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I remember when the B's picked him up, I was like, who is this dude. Reports were solid defenseman, big body, little to no offense. He's been a very pleasant surprise in all those areas. That stat about the B's being at 93% on the PK with him in the lineup? Crazy stuff right there.
If I recall he was a former 1st round pick who was rated somewhere around 8.0B by this website as a potential top pair dominant defenseman.

He may not have reached that but he's done quite well for himself.

Vegas scores and hearing Goucher call it brings back memories. Jack has been overall fine in his years here but a shame NESN didn't opt for Goucher.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Isles played the perfect game against a team returning home from a road trip

Muck, slow down the pace, wait for a bounce

They out-played the Bs for hunks of the game- faster and harder to the puck. The tie at regulation was a fair outcome ; the ot was fun and frenetic with both goalies coming up big....to me the shoot out is a crap shoot and this night the coin flipped to the Bs

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Good win.

At least three juicy opportunties for NYI in the third.

Master of the Obvious: DeBrusk brings size, speed and skill. When he's going, he's going like a freight train.

You will notice that since Cassidy gave Jake a golden opportunity on the first line last season, he has not disaapointed. And he has been consistent. Consistency, or lack thereof, had been his greatest failing.

Now he seems like, again, a freight train bearing down.

That's a good thing.

PS They are going to need Swayman to step in, soon, for at least a few starts, perhaps even consecutive starts.

You can't expect Ullmark to keep putting up those numbers, and you can't expect that, sooner rather than later, he's going to be gassed.

Quite sure Montgomery & Co. understand this, and will execute accordingly.

Hey, hey, a fine win.

This one's for you, Mione134. (Put in my request with the hockey gods.

They said,

"Okay. Let's do that." :cool::bruins
I think Jake has simply matured but could be wrong just my own take.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Good game. Little frustrating the way the Islanders slow the play down, shut down space and keep things tight, but that's what works for them. Otherwise it was a good tough contest. Bruins probably didn't have the better of it 5v5 but the special teams were solid and they fought through some heavy legs to do enough to get the game to extra time. And the shootout performance was much better.

DeBrusk was outstanding. Defense was passable, Forbort made his mark again. Pasta had his moments as usual. Good on Greer for throwing down with Martin but otherwise he had a bad night and was understandably benched in the 3rd. I'd like to see Lauko again at some point or whoever else in Providence currently most deserves a shot.

Good learning experience for the Bs. NY still know how to take the game away from Boston and get it on their terms, and Monty and the boys will need to have a good look at this and find better ways to counter it. The Isles could well be in the playoff mix, and other teams can play this shutdown/strong neutral zone style too, like Carolina. Something to work on for the Bruins. But they have time to do that. 2 more points in the bag is the main thing for now. On to the Kings.

As you say, there is plenty of time to address obvious concerns against a team like NYI.

It's December. And that's a good thing.

:tvhappy:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Isles played the perfect game against a team returning home from a road trip

Muck, slow down the pace, wait for a bounce

They out-played the Bs for hunks of the game- faster and harder to the puck. The tie at regulation was a fair outcome ; the ot was fun and frenetic with both goalies coming up big....to me the shoot out is a crap shoot and this night the coin flipped to the Bs
To me, the Islanders deserved the win tonight. I’m happy they didn’t get it, but they were the better of the two clubs.

That’s one tough team.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
To me, the Islanders deserved the win tonight. I’m happy they didn’t get it, but they were the better of the two clubs.

That’s one tough team.
A team that relies on effort may deserve wins they don't achieve but the same team scoring multiple fluke goals and creating very little? A point seems fair.

NYI impressed but the NHL needs teams to move away from that style from an entertainment perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad