GDT: Game 28 | Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers | 9:30 PM EST | FS-D

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
People will say "typical mindfly. Always negative."

But Babcock essentially said the same thing about the win against the Oiler's. He didn't feel good about it. He said that the way they played isn't a recipe for success.

That's the difference between some fans. The simple ones are happy with a win, as though a season isn't 82 (48) games long, and the playoffs aren't four consecutive best of seven series. If you want the ultimate prize, you have to win right, because luck isn't going to carry you to victory. To be satisfied with a lucky win against a bad team is to be satisfied with being a loser.

I am nor so sure Babacock is the one who can complain. He is the last man who should complain. He runs the show.

Anyhow, Abdelkater played around 12 min.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Our top 2 prospects, in most circles, were Smith and Nyquist.

Right now, I don't see great potential in either.

Nyquist makes those 20 year old Oiler kids look like Todd Bertuzzi... unbelievable how easily he's moved off the puck

Smith looks fine. Nyquist is the one I'm worried about. Looks very tentative out there. Sadly, I guess based on projections/size/reputation alone, he's getting more opportunity with the top6 than Tatar did, despite the obvious differences in play so far.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
This has really blown my mind, and quite honestly I expected a lot more from him this season. Though I'm not ready to give up on him by any means.

I will say I have seen numerous times where he has made nice offesnive plays this year that didn't result in a goal or assist due to some bad luck. He's not playing as good as he could, but he's not catching any breaks either.

As The Zetterberg Era eluded to, I really think he tried to put on too much weight for this season. Doesn't look quite as mobile as he did last year. I'm hoping next season he really breaks out.

I was on the Smith bandwagon as much as anybody, and overall to this point, I haven't been blown away by him on the ice. Don't think the lockout/lack of training camp/injury stuff did him any favors, though. Still think he should have been up last year playing with Lidstrom to get the rookie kinks out instead of learning on the fly this year as part of a shaky d-corps. But out of the young former Badger defensemen (McD, Schultz & Smith) he's looking like the longest shot to become a true top pairing guy. Hope that changes.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I was on the Smith bandwagon as much as anybody, and overall to this point, I haven't been blown away by him on the ice. Don't think the lockout/lack of training camp/injury stuff did him any favors, though. Still think he should have been up last year playing with Lidstrom to get the rookie kinks out instead of learning on the fly this year as part of a shaky d-corps. But out of the young former Badger defensemen (McD, Schultz & Smith) he's looking like the longest shot to become a true top pairing guy. Hope that changes.

The legendary Wings drafting and development strikes again :sarcasm:.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Our top 2 prospects, in most circles, were Smith and Nyquist.

Right now, I don't see great potential in either.

Nyquist makes those 20 year old Oiler kids look like Todd Bertuzzi... unbelievable how easily he's moved off the puck

It's early still but I'm starting to get a little concerned. Nyquist lit it up in the pre-season and I thought he looked much better in the games he played early with Detroit last year. We should have let him ride his momentum up here last year.

I thought Smith was a lot better last year when he was up as well. Not sure why that is, could be he put on too much weight for this year. Still think he has the high-end potential to be very good, I think he'll be better than Kronwall in 2-3 years. Not sure that's a huge accomplishment though :laugh:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Nyquist probably isn't allowed to "just go out and play your game". They probably have strict orders for him, you must forecheck here, must linechange after maximum 30secs, must get the puck in deep, must grind down low etc etc, even though it probably isnt "his" game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nyquist probably isn't allowed to "just go out and play your game". They probably have strict orders for him, you must forecheck here, must linechange after maximum 30secs, must get the puck in deep, must grind down low etc etc, even though it probably isnt "his" game.

I think they just say that go and play our game and be ourself, just like they said for Brunner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad