Post-Game Talk: GAME 27 - THE FORTRESS IS OURS!!!!! - BRUINS 3 Vegas 1

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
*David Coyle does the happy dance for Charlie getting another goal* :vhappy:

I only saw the first period [:wally:] so I missed all the good stuff.

I am concerned about the Bruins not being mentally ready to play right from the opening puck drop. Maybe getting a bit complacent about their ability to win because of their great start???? Something to think about.

Linus with another great game, as someone posted earlier, the crow is fast becoming an endangered species! 🐦

You have to expect this.

Nigh impossible to start every game on time, as the phrase goes. And, as everyone here knows, throughout the past fifteen plus seasons, very good Bruins teams "did not start on time" on multiple occasions, played down to their opposition, and blew countless third period leads.

You can't have everything.

I'll take this bunch. They're a blast to watch, they continue to find new ways to win, and Montgomery keeps them hopping with the line changes. Great stuff.

I'll take it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Saw the first two periods, though I was last channeling to the Dolphins doing their inevitable fade out of the playoffs. Thought it was an even, chippy game-and very instructive. Bruce knows our centers are slow, so he really tries to take the neutral zone with speed. Teams will keep doing this. Also, he really roughed up Lindholm, who took hits to make plays but struggled some. Teams may keep doing that as well.

Well, wouldn't you?

Good coaches and good teams exploit weakness.

Those who believe the Bruins are going to march to the Cup with every hair in place are going to be disappointed.

Montgomery appears to be an excellent coach who can make adjustments on the fly tactically. I'm guessing he's equally adroit in mapping out the long game strategically.

I could be wrong but I don't see a Robbie Ftorek Experiment imploding when teams catch on to his schemes a month and a half into the season.

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Well, wouldn't you?

Those who believe the Bruins are going to march to the Cup with every hair in place are going to be disappointed.

Montgomery appears to be an excellent coach who can make adjustments on the fly tactically. I'm guessing he's equally adroit in mapping out the long game strategically.

I could be wrong but I don't see a Robbie Ftorek Experiment imploding when teams catch on to his schemes a month and a half into the season.
I agree, he isn't Ftorek. And yes, I would exploit any weakness that would not get me suspended. (A little story about Ftorek though. I went to an Albany versus Bridgeport game with an Uncle, Niece and friends.) Ftorek was oaching Albany. It was the first game of the season, and they had a feud with Bridgeport. They had three old fashioned bench clearing brawls. My uncle and the others did not appreciate it lol.)

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

From what I am hearing even Swanman admits he needs to make a big save early for him to get locked in. Goalie Bob will work with him and it might take a few games in Providence to work it out.

Kyle Keyser is not the worst option out there.

They got 4 out of 6 points on this trip and that should have been at least 5 over a disputed icing call.

For sure, and as others have said here Swayman is a guy who likes to see lots of pucks. The tricky thing is to give him game time while he's struggling a bit to the point where he'll hopefully get his rhythm and form back without the Bruins losing too many points in the meantime.

I know the Providence option is there but I'd be reluctant to use it yet. Kincaid or indeed even Keyser could most likely come to Boston and do a good job, so that's not an issue. But it would be a confidence hit for Jeremy, and I'd be concerned it would do more harm than good at this point. He's had a disrupted season as it is and that could only exacerbate it.

Ideally I'd like to see him get a couple of games in a row here and there. Just stick with him for a bit and see what happens. If he improves, great, if he still doesn't then maybe that's when they need to look at other options.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree, he isn't Ftorek. And yes, I would exploit any weakness that would not get me suspended.
I'd exploit any weaknesses that *might* get me suspended.

1670878519496.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Ullmark has lost one game in 18 starts and seems to be improving every game.

Bruins need to be very careful of how they handle him this season. At this point I think he should get a say in which games he plays and which he doesn't. What happens in the regular season will matter a lot less than Ullmark being sheltered and ready to play in the PO'S.

Good points all.

Given Montgomery's keen attention to and emphasis on season long rest and recovery

(Clear cache/cookies to view)

I can't imagine they don't have a plan, which may well include consulting Ullmark on starts & "maintenance days."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Last year all we heard from insiders was the narrative that there was no rift between JDB and Bruce, how the coach had nothing to do with the trade request and that Jake ate dinner st Bruce's house and their relationship was good, any rumors to the contrary were shot down.

But how can you watch the body language from those guys tonight as well as some of their post-game comments and not feel it confirms that there's some real bad blood there?

"Real bad blood"?

I don't think it was really, really bad. Bad enough, obviously, effecting not only young guys like DeBrusk and Frederic, but Folgino, Coyle, and Carlo. FWIW my niece is pals with Wags' wife, and apparently he wasn't a fan.

Bruce Cassidy is an excellent coach whose difficulty communicating with players goes back to his Capitols gig.

He's an honest guy and a blunt guy. His approach was strict, even rigid. These traits can get you into trouble.

Perhaps a leopard can't change his spots but I believe Bruce can, and has, learned from six years behind the B's bench. What he did well. What he can work on.

Every coach, every player, every manager, and, dare I say, every human being has their flaws.

If we're wise, we learn from them. We aren't always wise. :cool:

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't like marbling as it is fat. I like the leaner cuts

I get it but fat plays a large part in the tastiness of the "protein."

"To each his own, Number One," but a bit of red meat, a bit of fat, a dollop of butter or a modest wedge of stinky cheese never hurt anyone.

Moderation in all things. Including moderation.

Vive la différence!

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I get it but fat plays a large part in the tastiness of the "protein."

"To each is own, Number One," but a bit of red meat, a bit of fat, a dollop of butter or a modest wedge of stinky cheese never hurt anyone.

Moderation in all things. Including moderation.

Vive la différence!
I just don't like it. I like a good sirloin or filet.

I don't eat it often.

Actually, I like the Outback. I have never had a bad meal there

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I don't give a fig about injuries on other teams. There are years where the Bruins were in pretty tough shape with numerous key injuries, so what? Wins are wins, nobody goes back over the years to see who was injured on what team when they played those games. It all evens out in the long run and injuries are part of the game.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I don't give a fig about injuries on other teams. There are years where the Bruins were in pretty tough shape with numerous key injuries, so what? Wins are wins, nobody goes back over the years to see who was injured on what team when they played those games. It all evens out in the long run and injuries are part of the game.

People talk about injuries to put wins/losses into perspective when measuring teams against one another.

I'm not sure I understand what point you are making.

When you say the Bruins beat the avalanche twice it sounds great. Beating the defending Stanley cup champs twice in short succession is usually a good barometer for for good your team is. But if they were icing their AHL team then you can toss out using it as a measuring stick game which is what most fans are doing when they bring up injuries.

Nobody is advocating that we give up the 4 pts the team earned.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
For sure, and as others have said here Swayman is a guy who likes to see lots of pucks. The tricky thing is to give him game time while he's struggling a bit to the point where he'll hopefully get his rhythm and form back without the Bruins losing too many points in the meantime.

I know the Providence option is there but I'd be reluctant to use it yet. Kincaid or indeed even Keyser could most likely come to Boston and do a good job, so that's not an issue. But it would be a confidence hit for Jeremy, and I'd be concerned it would do more harm than good at this point. He's had a disrupted season as it is and that could only exacerbate it.

Ideally I'd like to see him get a couple of games in a row here and there. Just stick with him for a bit and see what happens. If he improves, great, if he still doesn't then maybe that's when they need to look at other options.
Jeremy will be fine, though I get what you're saying.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
BRUINS' fans travel well.
Yes they do. Lots of New England transplants here, but lots of fans come in for the games. We met some fans here for the Pats game tonight - a group who all work for MassDOT. My wife is friends with one of them from FB and Twitter, and we stopped by last night to watch the B's game and get to know them. A few of them made the B's game on Friday, but I don't think any of them made the trifecta with the Celtics last Wednesday.

Marchand still pacing for over a point per game end to the season, but looks completely brutal out there over the past few games.
He really has been, hasn't he? Well, maybe not "brutal", but definitely not very noticeable.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Love it.

Unsurprisingly, you wouldn't know that from viewing either The League highlights or the TSN highlights. It's all vanilla goals and saves. That's it. If there were a massive bench clearing brawl in the second period you wouldn't know it. It's so stupid. It really pisses me off because it reduces all these games basically to goals and saves, and that's not all of what it's about.

Speech to text!

✌️😎
Bettmans dream is to recreate hockey into what basketball and to a certain degree soccer are.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well, wouldn't you?

Right, but when Bruin defensemen were getting their heads kicked in in previous playoff series he didn't respond by doing the same to other teams. His doing it to the Bruins is telling IMO. Why all of a sudden does he believe in the rough stuff? He's a dick!

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
How the heck did Ullmark get so good?

I remember seeing him playing for Buffalo being average at best. Stopped a lot of shots some nights (as Buffalo allowed a lot of shots) but also let in soft ones and was up and down and pretty much looked like a career back up. When Sweeney paid him I thought it was an overpayment, but it looked like we needed a goalie so okay, he was available. Last year, off and on most of the year, still looking average.

Now he's playing Vezina level. Just incredible. Sweeney's either a genius or really really lucky.

Hall playing the best he's ever played as a Bruin. Coyle really good. DeBrusk really good. Zacha good. All of the D played well. Boy this is fun, that was good top tier hockey.
He was better in Modo in 13/14 in Sweden SHL than he was almost the entire time in Buffalo but he actually played really good in front of a very bad team.They always had a very talented goalie in Ullmark and not until this season i really se the goalie from the season in Modo (best goaltender that year)going in the right direction and obviously the hard years in Buffalo has helped him alot.Imagine Ullmark was drafted by the bruins and being here all the time.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Right, but when Bruin defensemen were getting their heads kicked in in previous playoff series he didn't respond by doing the same to other teams. His doing it to the Bruins is telling IMO. Why all of a sudden does he believe in the rough stuff? He's a dick!
A certain amount of that likely comes from his players, who know how important beating the Bruins is to Cassidy.

I don't think Bruce is a dick, btw. I think unfortunately he's a bit rigid. He expects a lot of his players. It's one of the things that makes him an excellent coach. Clearly, he's injected structure and stinginess into LV's defensive corps, which I gather was a mess last season. Good for Butch.

That said, Jim Montgomery is the right coach at the right time for this "group."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad