Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The Media and Fans have turned on him.

The media and fans are letting him have it now.

If Marner wants to fight dirty first I'm not sure what he expects fans and media to do in return.

Running Marner out of town isn't unimaginable anymore like it once used to be. Now that they've started booing it's only a matter of time before fans give him the Larry Murphy treatment. One guy already made headlines by burning his Marner jersey.

He should have done it while still wearing it if he really wanted to make a statement.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Dubas will be calling
Marner needs Crosby to take him to the next level
Now how can it work

Dubas will/should be calling. So should 20 other teams
Marner still heck of a player. He's not the only one dissapears in the playoffs for the leafs
See Matthews, Tavares

He has to go, that's for sure. Someone does

Taylor Hall did.
Seguin did.
Richards did.
Hossa did.

That's life.

Pens is a good bet for his destination. Dubas already knows who Marner is. Crosby has another year or two left in him. Someone needs to fill the void

I really liked Marner earlier days. I still like him. Good player. Overpaid yes, but still a good player

Reactions: leafs in five

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's gone for sure.

The only way he's putting on a Leafs jersey is if he doesn't waive the NMC. Otherwise, you can tell management has its heart set on moving him out and probably Tavares too if they can manage it.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Agree 100%. I keep reading here how well Marner is liked in the dressing room as if statements made publicly to the media from his teammates mean anything and I can't help but wonder, how many of them are really thinking FML, I really hope Marner's traded soon, I'm so sick of answering questions about him to the media and having to pretending that I actually like the little wuss.

I agree with the sentiment even though that's not exactly what I meant.

In my head my comment reads differently. But I can see now that it's somewhat ambiguous. I just think when it comes to refusal to accept responsibility Marner is one of the worst.

Trading him would introduce accountability back into the dressing room.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The thing that will happen isn’t listed, go figure.

He won’t be moved and he will walk at the end of next season

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner still heck of a player. He's not the only one dissapears in the playoffs for the leafs
See Matthews, Tavares

Taylor Hall did.
Seguin did.
Richards did.
Hossa did.

That's life.

Pens is a good bet for his destination. Dubas already knows who Marner is. Crosby has another year or two left in him. Someone needs to fill the void

I really liked Marner earlier days. I still like him. Good player. Overpaid yes, but still a good player
Isn't the "rumor" that Dubas wanted to move him but Shanny wouldn't let him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree with the sentiment even though that's not exactly what I meant.

In my head my comment reads differently. But I can see now that it's somewhat ambiguous. I just think when it comes to refusal to accept responsibility Marner is one of the worst.

Trading him would introduce accountability back into the dressing room.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's what his teammates are thinking. I'm just saying it's possible that some of them feel that way and what they say to the media means nothing.

Source?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I'm willing to bet Marner wont want to move. His value is at an all time low, so this is two fold. First im sure hed rather maximize his money and stay in Toronto and one day cement his god status with a banner or maybe even a statue. He will refuse to he traded, try to patch things up, be on his best behavior. If he's unable to mend the relationship, cash out in the offseason...what better way to do that than by playing his heart out for one season beside the former Lindsay winner, and current finalist?

Or maybe he finds out a team wants him and will pay him 12 million and he decides to not bet on himself and takes the the deal and runs. I'm guessing the former though. I think he wants to continue to bask in the celebrity that comes with being a Maple Leaf.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: IPS and Confucius

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Perhaps Paul and Bonnie Marner getting wind Leafs plan on offer Mitch a pay cut on his next deal, might get things moving on a sign and trade deal to where their boy will be more appreciated.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::cool:

Kidding aside his next contract will play a big part in this.. While Mitch holds a NMC that controls his future in 2024-25 season, after that point with an expiring contract, control does go back to Treliving and the Leafs.

If BT stated to Marner that the team would like to move on, and will not be offering him a new deal after this one ends resulting in Marner becoming a UFA in summer 2025, would that change the current situation where Marner might consider waiving his NMC to another team who is interested and willing to pay him more $$$ and longer term?

That is really the only leverage MLSE has to offset a NMC and potentially force change.
I think the other one is resigning both Domi and Bert as they will be the ones playing with AM. To me that’s the biggest leverage Leafs got.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's what his teammates are thinking. I'm just saying it's possible that some of them feel that way and what they say to the media means nothing.

Source?

I feel that way about some of the people I work with.

Of course I would never say what I really felt like to their faces. I just stab them in the back to the people I trust when they aren't around. I only work with like a dozen people too.

So I can only imagine what it's like on a team the size of the Leafs with all those athletes and their huge egos.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm willing to bet Marner wont want to move. His value is at an all time low, so this is two fold. First im sure hed rather maximize his money and stay in Toronto and one day cement his god status with a banner or maybe even a statue. He will refuse to he traded, try to patch things up, be on his best behavior. If he's unable to mend the relationship, cash out in the offseason...what better way to do that than by playing his heart out for one season beside the former Lindsay winner, and current finalist?

Or maybe he finds out a team wants him and will pay him 12 million and he decides to not bet on himself and takes the the deal and runs. I'm guessing the former though. I think he wants to continue to bask in the celebrity that comes with being a Maple Leaf.
If they want to move on from Marner it has nothing to do with behaviour, it's that as the games get bigger, he gets smaller.

He'd be better off in a small market with a team that has no expectations of playoff success. They'll pay him a ton, and he'll be worth it too.

If he is asked to waive and he refuses, he'll be "basking" in something other than celebrity next season and I don't think it'll be a pleasant experience.

There is absolutely nothing I’ve seen from Marner that would warrant describing him as smart

Exactly the opposite, actually. He’s dumb as a stump
I believe I saw an interview way back when when for some reason he was asked how many provinces there are in Canada, he looked like he had no idea but took a guess hoping to get lucky. He guessed 4. Great hockey player though, at least most of the time.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's actually got more points than the other core guys.

Also, as a playmaker, I think he deserves some leeway when other guys can't finish his passes.

I did not like him in these playoffs. But one series isn't going to make me turn against him. I didn't turn after the Montreal series either.
Lol as a playmaker... the get out of jail free card. If the guy can't f***## score he doesn't deserve 13% of the cap. Does any other 10+ million player get his kind of money as just a passer? Domi produced more primary assists than Marner this season with less than 1/2 his mins with Matthews.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
See Matthews, Tavares

Taylor Hall did.
Seguin did.
Richards did.
Hossa did.

That's life.

Why the f*** would Toronto want to trade with Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh had no prospects or any players of value.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To me the most telling comment about MM this off season is Ray Ferraro. He is not someone who says crap to get clicks or be controversial.
When Hayes asked him what he thought of MM in Game 7, he said he is eithe injured or uninterested. Since even MM himself had not said a word about being injured. I am leaning towards uninterested. It is Game 7, do or die, must win, how can you be uninterested?

He can win 10 Cups after being traded but who cares, he couldn’t do them here while he was the Core, a Centerpiece, the engine or as some like to call, the straw that stir the drink.

Why the f*** would Toronto want to trade with Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh had no prospects or any players of value.
I don’t mind a JT for Sid one for one.
Dubas might do it

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I was pushing for a Marner for Guentzel + at the deadline

I still think that was a missed opportunity

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
There is absolutely nothing I’ve seen from Marner that would warrant describing him as smart

Exactly the opposite, actually. He’s dumb as a stump

I always assumed he was an average athlete "smart", but now I'm worried I was making fun of a "special" kid.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Any trade for Marner needs to be a homerun. As bad as he has been In the playoffs, a skilled young winger who can put up 100 points don't grow on trees.

But a trade involving Marner can also bring in incredible depth and make the team a much more well-rounded team if played right

This is a huge off-season for the leafs. I think Treliving is gonna go to work
Does not have to be a home run. It needs not be a strikeout like the Kadri trade.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If he refuses to waive, make sure any offer comes after they hit the links.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If they want to move on from Marner it has nothing to do with behaviour, it's that as the games get bigger, he gets smaller.

He'd be better off in a small market with a team that has no expectations of playoff success. They'll pay him a ton, and he'll be worth it too.

If he is asked to waive and he refuses, he'll be "basking" in something other than celebrity next season and I don't think it'll be a pleasant experience.

I believe I saw an interview way back when when for some reason he was asked how many provinces there are in Canada, he looked like he had no idea but took a guess hoping to get lucky. He guessed 4. Great hockey player though, at least most of the time.
I believe by and large we are all born with different abilities to varying degrees. Sure with a lot of effort we may be able to move the needle in some areas but not a lot. If I could make 10 million a year playing hockey, I’d consider it a lottery win and wouldn’t care about provinces either. lol all the way to the easy life.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner is a smart guy and knows his time in Toronto is coming to an end. He can tough it out and not agree to a trade but who in their right mind would want to stay in a city where he's not wanted?

I hope he isn't listening to his stubborn father again. I'm sure even he sees the writing on the wall.

Don’t mean to sound harsh about this or personal in any way, but the way Mitch Marner and Marner Camp has operated in their time in Toronto would lead me to believe he lacks any kind of self reflection, if that can be defined as “smart” or not.

Everything from the contract negotiation, the stand off relationship to the media and by the extension the hometown fanbase, the inability to connect and hit the right PR tone (just compare him to Domi and ROR in terms of playing to the crowd), the implicit comparisons to Matthews.

For all the great hockey Marner has provided over the years, Marner Camp has never been smart about how to build a likeable brand in their own hometown.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
For all the great hockey Marner has provided over the years, Marner Camp has never been smart about how to build a likeable brand in their own hometown.
Nor have they figured out how to play this "great hockey" you speak of while it matters.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I believe by and large we are all born with different abilities to varying degrees. Sure with a lot of effort we may be able to move the needle in some areas but not a lot. If I could make 10 million a year playing hockey, I’d consider it a lottery win and wouldn’t care about provinces either. lol all the way to the easy life.
Oh absolutely. I mean when I saw him on TV saying that, I was taken aback at the time but then I realized that kid's probably lived most of his life in a hockey rink so it's not that surprising that he knows nothing expect hockey. I was taken aback recently when a co-worker told me he's never read a book but hey, people are different and all kinds of things are possible.

Still, there's something to be said for having at least a little bit of balance in one's life. JMHO.
Don’t mean to sound harsh about this or personal in any way, but the way Mitch Marner and Marner Camp has operated in their time in Toronto would lead me to believe he lacks any kind of self reflection, if that can be defined as “smart” or not.

Everything from the contract negotiation, the stand off relationship to the media and by the extension the hometown fanbase, the inability to connect and hit the right PR tone (just compare him to Domi and ROR in terms of playing to the crowd), the implicit comparisons to Matthews.

There's different kinds of smart for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad