Post-Game Talk: Game #27: Canucks 5, Senators 2 - Daniel Sedin with his 300th career goal!

StringerBell

I couldn't watch the second and third periods last night. What happened to Hansen after his tongue lashing? Did he step it up or was he demoted/benched?

Somewhere between benched and demoted. Weise took a lot of his regular shifts.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I thought Luongo looked very shaky early on, and the team tightened up because of his play. That was the 1st period. The 2nd period onward, they just played and took the game over. Luckily, there was enough of a cushion built up for Lu to make 2 big saves and coast it home.

This is the inverse a y2canucks post about Luongo. The team "tightened up" because he looked "shaky"? I don't think hockey games generally work that way, to be honest.

Outside99*

Nice win but really don't see this game as indicating any huge turn around in the play of the team. Same players blowing excellent scoring chances (especially Burrows and Kesler) and still have players making lousy defensive decisions and plays.

Can see why Ottawa is struggling. Spezza stank and Karlsson is absolute shadow of the player he was. Right now, if you are the opposition, you love seeing Karlsson come on the ice since you know you are going to get some excellent chances. Can't see Spezza being a National team option and Swedes should think twice about playing Karlsson.

The Good

Booth - not just the goal but also the way he forechecked and created chances. Looked like a bull out there. Huge for the team if he can turn it around - especially if saves us using a buy out. You can hardly get anyone on the open market and it is crucial that you develop from within. Maybe getting ahead of myself here but if Booth plays like this he may be a better option than Kesler as a net presence on the power play. I think he could be the better goal scorer if he regains his form of few years ago.

Sedins - obviously the best players on the ice.

Weise - have to swallow a bit here but he was good. Was good in Ottawa before so maybe he likes the rink. Could have done better in the fight but his speed in getting on the forecheck and pressing the play really helped. Nice that he scored and looked good doing it.

Santorilli - more where he should be in the lineup. Work ethic can't be questioned and he is extremely valuable on the pk. No star but has emerged as solid NHL caliber player who works both ends of the ice.

Tanev - Ontario boys often play better at home and I thought this was the case for Tanev. Did a good job of creating space for himself and moved the puck very quickly and efficiently. Play around the net still needs work but his +3 was indication of his value in this game. Would say on the other hand that Hamhuis +3 flattered. Thought that he was sluggish in his puck movement.

Garrison - goal seemed to ignite some better play. Think Garrison has been fighting it for awhile and has been guilty of some hesitant and soft play. Do not think his puck support has been good and has created gaps or separation between him and the play. Tonight he seemed to be moving the puck and getting up into the play better. Looked quicker which he is going to have to be if he is going help improve the power play.

The Bad

Kassain - this player seems to want to redefine himself as strictly a finesse player. Most often leaves the heavy lifting to others. Always looking for the fancy pass which everyone in the rink can see coming. Also refuses to use his body along the boards to separate people from the puck. If he somehow does get the puck seems either 1) to want to stop and think about what to do with the puck rather than continuing the flow of the play or 2) or make a hasty, ill-considered play which often leads to a dangerous turnover. Kassian continues to be good for at least three or four inexcusable bone headed plays a game. Furthermore, even when he has a lane he still refuses to take the puck to the net and instead often whips a wrist shot into the goalie's belly or throws the puck sideways into traffic. He got fluke goal on his shot the other night so I guess he figures that's the way to go.

Hansen - has played badly since his return. Tonight was just an extension of that and Torts finally got tired of watching it. Hansen needs to be at the top of his game to compete at this level and right now he is far from that. Really having trouble keeping himself in the play.

Edler - flat out needs to improve and bear down. Probably should be matched with one partner and learn to read and react to that partner. Really not playing well in traffic right now.

Other points

Could say Luongo played well but it's hard to say someone is good when they continue to let in at least one bad goal a game.

Don't know what is happening with Kesler but he seems so slow in reacting to chances and situations. Missing wide open chances because he is off balance or unready to play the puck. Just not on top of the play. Does enough to not categorize him as bad (although he has been that at times this year) but if this team is to go anywhere Kesler needs improve. Could say the same for Burrows. He has to start scoring. He works hard but seems to lack the touch he had in the past. Fine margin between converting chances and just missing them and you have to hope Burrows regains the quick stick he has shown in the past. Very critical that Kesler and Burrows start producing.

Good stuff - For Kesler, just want to point out he's been playing insane minutes (17 in 1st 2 periods). If he's hitting his AT and beyond, he'll slow down, his decision making will be poorer, his coordination will suffer - its all good, right? :sarcasm:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is the inverse a y2canucks post about Luongo. The team "tightened up" because he looked "shaky"? I don't think hockey games generally work that way, to be honest.

Not at all. Henrik actually referenced the team tightening up, after they gave up the goal (after the run of play at the other end), resulting in the rest of the period being about not making a mistake - instead of attacking to get it back.

Does anyone have that audio from the TEAM1040?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad