Post-Game Talk: Game #27: Canucks 5, Senators 2 - Daniel Sedin with his 300th career goal!

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Weise gets the Haida hat tonight.

BaNU5D8CEAA1Zl-.jpg:large

European Gretzky!

Wetcoaster

Tortorella post-game:

"I don't know what to expect, you just never know how it works. We scored tonight, some nights we don't"

"I thought we played well enough to win, but we've got some areas to address for sure. As a coach you're never satisfied"

"It's been one or the other, Sedins scoring or secondary scoring, hopefully we can put that together. I'm happy for the guys"

"I don't know what to expect. You just never know how it works. Quite honestly, I thought we have played better games than [Thursday's] game, and we end up winning 5-2. That's why I always say, 'You need to coach how you're playing.'"

Last edited by a moderator:

StringerBell

Not sure about shots specifically but fenwick events were 37-36 Ottawa with 11:30 left in the 3rd and us up 5-1. They finished at 49-37 (the only one we got in the last 11:30 was with 6 seconds left). You can definitely ascribe some of the shot differential tonight to score effects.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
Not sure about shots specifically but fenwick events were 37-36 Ottawa with 11:30 left in the 3rd and us up 5-1. They finished at 49-37 (the only one we got in the last 11:30 was with 6 seconds left). You can definitely ascribe some of the shot differential tonight to score effects.

's why most analysis is based on fenwick close

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Thought that Booth showed a little something tonight. And Burrows is mostly playing well, it's just not going in for him at this point.

I do want to draw attention to the fact that Booth and Burrows have played the same number of games now and Booth has outscored him 5 points to 3.

Burr's doing some good things, but we need to see some goals.

YouCantYandleThis*

Really impressed by Weise since he has returned from injury. Guy has been filling the 4th line role perfectly.

Weise has always been an alright 4th line guy for us. People were ready to give up on him in his first full season in the NHL. He plays steady defense, has good possession, good speed, and under-rated hands as well. He can't really fight for ****, but hell, at least he's sticking up for himself and his teammates.

For a 25 year old who's had very limited opportunities, I think he's looked very solid for us in his time here. Hopefully he can progress a little further and become a Scott Thornton type 4th-line staple on our team.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Goddamnit I love Tortorella.

I hope we spank the **** out of the Rangers on Saturday. Possibly the biggest, yet most meaningless, game of the season.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
found it peculiar about that tweet from someone stating the Canucks look so boring under Tortorella and that the Canucks used to come in and "Dazzle".

The roster is fairly different and the Sedins are older.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Goddamnit I love Tortorella.

I hope we spank the **** out of the Rangers on Saturday. Possibly the biggest, yet most meaningless, game of the season.

When the standings are as tight as they are, the game is far from meaningless. :cry:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
When the standings are as tight as they are, the game is far from meaningless. :cry:

In the West, there is no such thing as a meaningless game anymore. It's gonna take a hell of a lot to get in, but this team can do it.

Not that I would know all the happenings of the behind the scenes stuff, but Torts is my kind of coach I think. His passion for winning hockey games is extremely infectious.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nice win but really don't see this game as indicating any huge turn around in the play of the team. Same players blowing excellent scoring chances (especially Burrows and Kesler) and still have players making lousy defensive decisions and plays.

Can see why Ottawa is struggling. Spezza stank and Karlsson is absolute shadow of the player he was. Right now, if you are the opposition, you love seeing Karlsson come on the ice since you know you are going to get some excellent chances. Can't see Spezza being a National team option and Swedes should think twice about playing Karlsson.

The Good

Booth - not just the goal but also the way he forechecked and created chances. Looked like a bull out there. Huge for the team if he can turn it around - especially if saves us using a buy out. You can hardly get anyone on the open market and it is crucial that you develop from within. Maybe getting ahead of myself here but if Booth plays like this he may be a better option than Kesler as a net presence on the power play. I think he could be the better goal scorer if he regains his form of few years ago.

Sedins - obviously the best players on the ice.

Weise - have to swallow a bit here but he was good. Was good in Ottawa before so maybe he likes the rink. Could have done better in the fight but his speed in getting on the forecheck and pressing the play really helped. Nice that he scored and looked good doing it.

Santorilli - more where he should be in the lineup. Work ethic can't be questioned and he is extremely valuable on the pk. No star but has emerged as solid NHL caliber player who works both ends of the ice.

Tanev - Ontario boys often play better at home and I thought this was the case for Tanev. Did a good job of creating space for himself and moved the puck very quickly and efficiently. Play around the net still needs work but his +3 was indication of his value in this game. Would say on the other hand that Hamhuis +3 flattered. Thought that he was sluggish in his puck movement.

Garrison - goal seemed to ignite some better play. Think Garrison has been fighting it for awhile and has been guilty of some hesitant and soft play. Do not think his puck support has been good and has created gaps or separation between him and the play. Tonight he seemed to be moving the puck and getting up into the play better. Looked quicker which he is going to have to be if he is going help improve the power play.

The Bad

Kassain - this player seems to want to redefine himself as strictly a finesse player. Most often leaves the heavy lifting to others. Always looking for the fancy pass which everyone in the rink can see coming. Also refuses to use his body along the boards to separate people from the puck. If he somehow does get the puck seems either 1) to want to stop and think about what to do with the puck rather than continuing the flow of the play or 2) or make a hasty, ill-considered play which often leads to a dangerous turnover. Kassian continues to be good for at least three or four inexcusable bone headed plays a game. Furthermore, even when he has a lane he still refuses to take the puck to the net and instead often whips a wrist shot into the goalie's belly or throws the puck sideways into traffic. He got fluke goal on his shot the other night so I guess he figures that's the way to go.

Hansen - has played badly since his return. Tonight was just an extension of that and Torts finally got tired of watching it. Hansen needs to be at the top of his game to compete at this level and right now he is far from that. Really having trouble keeping himself in the play.

Edler - flat out needs to improve and bear down. Probably should be matched with one partner and learn to read and react to that partner. Really not playing well in traffic right now.

Other points

Could say Luongo played well but it's hard to say someone is good when they continue to let in at least one bad goal a game.

Don't know what is happening with Kesler but he seems so slow in reacting to chances and situations. Missing wide open chances because he is off balance or unready to play the puck. Just not on top of the play. Does enough to not categorize him as bad (although he has been that at times this year) but if this team is to go anywhere Kesler needs improve. Could say the same for Burrows. He has to start scoring. He works hard but seems to lack the touch he had in the past. Fine margin between converting chances and just missing them and you have to hope Burrows regains the quick stick he has shown in the past. Very critical that Kesler and Burrows start producing.

Lord Flacko*

If we score 2 or 1 goals next game I'm going to be ****ing pissed!!

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If we score 2 or 1 goals next game I'm going to be ****ing pissed!!

We should be scoring more now that we've hit the East coast, but we are facing our mirror image next so it should be a fun one to watch. The Rangers and Canucks have been the most snakebitten teams in the NHL (New York having it worse off).

Hey, maybe Burr busts the slump!

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
swedish national team d-men looked pretty bad tonight...thought both karlsson and edler had poor nights

kind of agree with tortorella...thought the canucks, outside of the beginning of the 2nd period, played better games in recent losses so not really sure what to take from this other than it's nice to finally play against a goaltender that's not the second coming of patrick roy

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
This is our record vs the 13 teams that our currently in a playoff position (not including maple leafs or capitals for obvious reasons and rangers cuz we havent played them yet): 2 - 7 - 4 (that is like 30% of the possible points.)

We haven't yet proven that we can be considered as a playoff team and play with playoff calibre teams in the west. I'll be happy we can get through this easy stretch of games with some points to boost their standings but they need to start winning games against good teams at least 50% of the time.

So I completely agree with torts post game comments that this team still has major areas to work on.

arsmaster*

Could be score effects, but hey, why get in the way of a good story eh? lol.

So just to be clear, outshot is outplayed right? If so, you will see the chest sniper/plug argument revisited in the Lu thread...

------------

I thought Luongo looked very shaky early on, and the team tightened up because of his play. That was the 1st period. The 2nd period onward, they just played and took the game over. Luckily, there was enough of a cushion built up for Lu to make 2 big saves and coast it home.

Very shaky? Or poor on the one wrap-around play? I thought he looked in control, but he looked absolutely dreadful on that one play. Other than that, he looked like he was playing "really well".

Luckily we scored a few goals. 13-0-4.:handclap:

arsmaster*

I highly doubt you were being sarcastic, nothing hinted towards that. You even mentioned Luongo playing great as a result of the shot differential.

Pretty clear to me he was being sarcastic. He is using the same basis other posters use to point out we're "outplaying" the opposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad