Post-Game Talk: #GAME 26: Canucks 4, Willie D. Kings 2: A win? Gaudette's first?! (Roadtrip 1-2-0)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...this Kings team is slow as molasses....just not built for the way the NHl is played right now....Canucks bend but don't break...but oh my God that pk is just butt ugly right now. But the first win in nine, so I guess you'll take it. Kings now losers of five home games in the row. Willie has taken over a sinking ship once again.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, you don't just go from being a career 7% shooter to being a 13% shooter in one season.
We have 140 games of data on Virtanen, let's not just throw that out over a 20 game sample size.

Virtanen's always been a good possession forward.

Reality is that the shooting percentage will come down. The good thing is that people will now realize what a positive impact he has on the play when he's on the ice. But that's something he's already shown throughout his NHL career.

140 games at his age really isn't much, especially when he's been so raw. Again, he might not jump to 13, but I doubt he will fall back to 7. Players have spike years and down years, so we've seen players have out of whack percentages over 140 game stretches before. It wouldn't be out of line that it's the case with him, and not "who he is". Especially when 7 is unusually low for a forward, and while he still takes low percentage shots, he's been improving at getting better opportunities. He's also getting a lot more shots which is also part of the production. He's currently on pace for 192 shots. 75 forwards had that many last year, and only 4 of them shot under 8%. It's just not that common.

Virtanen's always been a good possession forward, but the fact that Pouliot's been our best possession defenseman the past two years suggests that's not always the best thing to put stock into. He's usually been good at driving play generally, but he hasn't been this impactful shift to shift most of his career. He did have a similar stretch at the end of last year where the pucks weren't going in, but even then, I don't think he was creating as many high danger opportunities, which is part of why the pucks weren't going in. He's getting into more areas around the net, and making plays to his teammates more instead of taking the shot and ending possession

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No one in their right minds will pay what LA want for their players

At the point LA is looking to be at it would be more about clearing space and starting over than getting maximum trade value on vets. Though considering where they were last season they could maybe get by with a revamp on their mid and bottom tier players, kind of like Colorado or Buffalo did.

member 290103

Greens a genius. He sits Stecher and Pouliot in case the Canucks win. Now he can say it’s cuz Stecher was out - which is why they won...paving way for Pouliots return.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching the replay...1st period team just looks a lot more....legitimate with Pouliot out and Edler in. Less egregious breakdowns. Forwards pretty much the same as usual. Jakey woke up after the hit, maybe we need someone to hit him hard every game.

Boucher great opportunity, not liking him with EP/goldy so far.

Reactions: geebaan

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ugh I guess Marky went back to the ugly helmet because they're in a losing streak? He played pretty well through most of that streak...

Inexplicably Guddy is even worse as the third pairing. Bizarre, bizarre choices. I thought this would take some pressure off them. Feel bad for Hutton, not only is he still with this guy but we are missing out by having MDZ with Tanev and Hutton getting less time.

Not surprisingly, Tanev instantly better not babysitting Pouliot. And let's not pretend MDZ doesn't need babysitting.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Gotta wonder what is going with LA. Looks like their tank is far better than ours. Players like Carter look disinterested.

Good

Virtanen - in games like this you see glimpses that make you think maybe he can become a dominant player. But then you think well .... probably not. Was a strong player in this game but still left scoring chances on the table.

Pettersson - did major things which won the game and lot of minor things that showed he can become an all round player

Markstrom - very strong in the late going. However got beached on that second goal. Reminded me of Cloutier. Overall good game.

Biega - I not sure how I see this player better than others. Thought again he played hard game in his end and skated the puck out of trouble all game. Right now he is probably better than Stecher. That was was one of our best defensive games and may well be that's the best 6 we can throw out there right now.

del Zotto - he is really jumping on the play and taking space away on people. Some of his best hockey as a Canuck.

Hutton - liked the way he moved the puck in this game. Got it moving quickly and accurately. So much better than last year when he dilly dallied with the puck and always took the extra stride. Don't want to speak too soon but seems to be rounding into legit NHL defenseman. And that was very far from a certainty going into the season.

Others

Edler - steadied down the defense. Probably needs to get back on the PP. He does make a difference to this team.

Gaudette - really had some jump after scoring that first goal. Does have speed.

Boucher - basically comes down to who you like better - Leipcis or Boucher. Boucher didn't do much but could see he can play within a system better than Leipcis. Leipsic might give you a little more production. Probably neither is NHL material, in the end, however.

Gagner looks like he is going to hang around for awhile.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Good to see the youth do well in this game. The presense of Edler was refreshing to see! For once...the D wasnt a complete and utter tire fire.

The fact that Pettersson continues to pile up points while playing with garbage is remarkable. Cannot wait until Boeser comes back...going forward...you hope to get another elite winger to complete a lethal 1st line.

The Kings are perhaps the worst NHL team we have seen since that 2015 Buffalo team. Slow...f***ing awful and many of their players have mailed it in. The price you pay for cups and loyalty...

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Good to see the youth do well in this game. The presense of Edler was refreshing to see! For once...the D wasnt a complete and utter tire fire.

The fact that Pettersson continues to pile up points while playing with garbage is remarkable. Cannot wait until Boeser comes back...going forward...you hope to get another elite winger to complete a lethal 1st line.

The Kings are perhaps the worst NHL team we have seen since that 2015 Buffalo team. Slow...****ing awful and many of their players have mailed it in. The price you pay for cups and loyalty...

We aren't seeing worse than the 2017 Avalanche for a looooong time, excluding MAYBE the Seattle team.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think Markstroms non-ear mask is cursed. Last game he wore the ears was the Boston game, which was the last game we won until tonight... the first game he wore the ear mask again.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
5-ish minutes into the 2nd...great for gaudette. You see what Jakey could do if he ever puts it all together...

Gotta give props to Granlund being smart enough to just find a little space in the slot for and take the behind-the-net feed but I feel like he gets that shot 1-2 times a game and either doesn't get a shot off or just does nothing with it.

Biega is a huge upgrade over Pouliot but he's also pretty scrambly in his first game back.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ridiculous PK by Tanev, no need for him to be that high, and then MDZ didn't box out his man. For once the forwards didn't mess it up?

Nevermind, just rewound. Granlund blindly played his position again so Horvat was forced to come across to the wrong side, then Granlund didn't cover the point shot and just acted as the first layer of screen.

Reactions: geebaan

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Jakey really doing a lot better but I think he needs to learn that he can just go THROUGH guys. YEah obviously he has some finesse but that's not how he's going to initially establish himself. Everytime he tries to dance around he just gets stopped completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00