Post-Game Talk: #GAME 26: Canucks 4, Willie D. Kings 2: A win? Gaudette's first?! (Roadtrip 1-2-0)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Great 1st PP by the guys but really more about EP/Bo/Gagner doing a great job. You can see Edler....just not his first instinct to set up EP. His passes are to get it to him, not like what Hutton does where he is always just putting it on a tee for him.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
seriously this its the most canucks game ive watched since 2014 when me hating benning wasn't even popular with others

all because of pettersson, I want him to score and if we lose its fine w.e

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
They've been better in previous games but Roussel is really crapping the bed. He has a great opportunity with Bo/Gagner, especially since Gagner disappears in spurts.

Same thing with Boucher, you're with EP, he needs to let Goldy/EP handle it and just get himself to open ice. Honestly he looks like he doesn't have a clue of what he should be doing. I know he is dominant in the AHL, makes me wonder what he does differently down there.

Second kings goal...I knew this was going to be an issue when Granlund just stopped skating when he lost the puck on the half wall. He's the center...just kept gliding backwards and he's at the blue line.

Look, I know I harp on this guy all the time. But I feel like it's necessary to expose some of absolute bullshit he gets away with.

So he is barely moving when he hits the blueline, and Hutton is in a battle so he just fluffs it back into the zone. YOU DO NOT CHANGE HERE. YOU HAD TIME TO ASSESS THE PLAY. IT IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO CHANGE, YOU ARE THE LAST MAN BACK!!!

Seriously, go back in this game to 3:32 remaining in the 2nd. THere are FOUR Kings and just Granlund and Hutton. Actually the play takes a bit longer to develop...

Ok at this point let's just say he doesn't know Luff has released. Ok fine. There's still just you (the center, who has extra responsibilities), both d-men and THREE kings that you can see. Why would you now SKATE FORWARD PAST BOTH D-MEN TO REACH THE BENCH AND CHANGE??!!?!?!?!?!

Had Granlund even just sagged here (why did he have to hold the blue line?), this goal doesn't happen.

Marky hasn't been this twitchy on breaks or the shootout this whole year, so he makes a mistake here too. Probably not the pad you want to put down first, Luff has no momentum to the blocker side and would have had to go to his backhand. But it was just an unnecessary play before it even got to this point.

NOthing play but Jakey looked around before trying to make a move on the high half-boards. He lost the puck eventually but I have to emphasize that this is a really significant thing that IMO partly explains why he's been so much better in this game.

WIth this defence being suddenly more competent, sometimes the forwards are surprised when they get a clean pass and are too startled to do something about it....sort of comical.

GUDDY PLAY YOUR OWN FRIGGING SIDE

Wow ridiculously good defensive play on the PP (sigh) by EP. Super slow back pass by Edler and then getting caught at the opposition blue line....bad old times from Edler on the PP. Other than that he's been pretty good though. I just don't think he belongs on the PP, and that's an opinion from a couple of seasons ago that hasn't changed/

This entire hemming in the zone on the 4-vs-4 at 12:05 in the 3rd is because Granlund is standing around like a dope again. Really soft clear at the end and he's lucky Edler steps up to give it the extra tap to get it out .

Last edited by a moderator:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
With a much more solid defence, although Marky had to shut it down at the end there it didn't seem as daunting a task.

We need Beagle to be healthy so we can take Granlund off the PK, he's a mess out there.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Glad to see that they stopped the bleeding..and won...That was a tough stretch of games to lose..Marky was ridden like a rented mule,with no qualified backup in sight,and the team was playing every other day without the slightest chance to regroup.

By this Christmas the Canucks would already have played 26 road games this season..The back half of the schedule is a lot more cozy..Hopefully,this was worst run of injuries this season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Fun game to watch.. it was a battle... with first change we still managed to win the battle vs their top lines... played relatively clean..

Virtanen was a beast!

Great vision on setting up Gaudette as well..
His passing all night was on point... something people didn’t think he had an IQ to do...

Var

Nov 10, 2007
So good to watch this young club. Seeing all these young guys getting better is a real treat. Virtanen, Gaudette, and what do you even say about Petterson?

A lot easier to follow the Nucks when you can see these guys improving like this.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Granlund had 21 mins of icetime. This was at least the second game in the last couple of weeks where he has played over 20 mins.

I don’t get it. Why is he playing so much?
Thought he was horrendous this game. His body language is like he's allergic to lifting his feet off the ice. Just refuses to move his feet. On the PK he just stands there completely stationary, and on the 2nd goal first he made a bad play with the puck not getting the pass completed to Tanev who jumped up and then inexplicably ran off position with zero awareness when he was supposed to cover for Tanev which resulted in the breakaway.

Reactions: mossey3535

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
Granlund had 21 mins of icetime. This was at least the second game in the last couple of weeks where he has played over 20 mins.

I don’t get it. Why is he playing so much?
I've heard Bo is under the weather which explains his decrease in icetime and drop in faceoff wins the last 2 games!

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I've heard Bo is under the weather which explains his decrease in icetime and drop in faceoff wins the last 2 games!
Makes sense. And also Pettersson has had his ice time cut down a bit. I think it’s a good thing as he was clearly getting fatigued with all the travel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad