Post-Game Talk: #GAME 26: Canucks 4, Willie D. Kings 2: A win? Gaudette's first?! (Roadtrip 1-2-0)

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
How could they not get a second empty netter there? Just wouldn't be right for the Canucks to kick sand too much.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kovalchuk is ass lol. He bobbled the puck like a billion times there. Everytime he had the puck either he killed the play or nothing happened.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
So glad that they ended this ugly losing streak - didn't want that on the young guys' heads. So happy to see EP and Gaudette scoring, and a terrific game all around from Jake.

Kudos to Marky too for hanging in during the late 3rd period blitz.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I think he missing the net quite a lot has something to do with his high sht percentage
But it's not just the goals, he's making a lot more happen on the ice. Also, his shooting percentage was inordinately low so far in his career for a forward. His current percentage might not be sustainable for him (though is pretty average for many), but I wouldn't be surprised if he maintained something above 10 as he improves as a player.
It's not really about his goal total this year, it's more his overall game. He just looks plain better out there all around.

Not to mention, his career shooting% is so low because he used to take so many low-chance perimeter shots in earlier years.

Yeah, you don't just go from being a career 7% shooter to being a 13% shooter in one season.
We have 140 games of data on Virtanen, let's not just throw that out over a 20 game sample size.

I mean, even without the doubled regular shooting percentage, it doesn't excuse the plays and defensive awareness Jake has been displaying this season that has been much improved comparatively to even last year.

Are you saying that Virtanen isn't improved compared to previous years?

Virtanen's always been a good possession forward.

Reality is that the shooting percentage will come down. The good thing is that people will now realize what a positive impact he has on the play when he's on the ice. But that's something he's already shown throughout his NHL career.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Reality is that the shooting percentage will come down. The good thing is that people will now realize what a positive impact he has on the play when he's on the ice. But that's something he's already shown throughout his NHL career.

Nice pivot from your original post.

I'll reiterate: the positives Virtanen has shown this year have little to do with his shot percentage. He's showing himself to be a smarter player. Tbh he's not shown this kind of positive impact before in his career.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
2s7z4pe.jpg

GOT 'EM!!!!!!!!

Reactions: THE Green Man

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'll reiterate: the positives Virtanen has shown this year have little to do with his shot percentage. He's showing himself to be a smarter player. Tbh he's not shown this kind of positive impact before in his career.

What about the end of last season?
People raved about him when the season ended last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00