GDT: Game #25 - 12.02.14 - at Toronto - 6:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Nill has done alright in the two big trades he has made, but most every other move he has made as GM outside of drafting Nichushkin (which fell to him) has been a flop in my opinion.

I think we will grow to really hate the Dillon for Demers trade as the worst of the bunch.. Brenden is looking amazing over in San Jose playing in a real defensive system.

First of all, Dillon sucked here, and that wouldn't have changed if he had 4-5 more games that he's had in SJS. Second of all, we needed another right shot, and Demers has been pretty good here as well. I don't think anyone is going to hate that trade. Dillon needed a wake up call, and keeping him wouldn't have given it to him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Holly ****ing **** this team sucks.

Oh well, at least I saw Spezza score...thats a positive for me.

This team has so many issues on so many levels that its irredeemable with one or two moves.

Getting McDavid might be an upgrade but its not going to make this team a contender...this team needs upgrade on every position INCLUDING management.

Are you kidding? We don't need to upgrade our management. Jim Nill has done everything in his power to ice the best team possible. It's really not his fault that Daley/Goligoski/Dillon/Jordie/Kari have regressed so badly.

And getting McDavid would turn us into a contender. Only a matter of time until he turns Buffalo/Carolina/Edmonton into one.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nill has done alright in the two big trades he has made, but most every other move he has made as GM outside of drafting Nichushkin (which fell to him) has been a flop in my opinion. I mean he's injured right now...what's he gonna do?

I think we will grow to really hate the Dillon for Demers trade as the worst of the bunch.. Brenden is looking amazing over in San Jose playing in a real defensive system.

Alistar, first off let's wait the proper 4-5 years before declaring Nichushkin a flop. Just because he's not living up to our high expectations at 19 doesn't mean he's a flop of a pick.

The Dillon trade will likely be a win-win IMO. Dillon had been pretty bad here and Demers has been way more impactful in Green. He also brings the right shot that we needed.

Was it you that was also calling for Nill's head?? There seems to be hysteria in the air.

Brand New Stars

Not his fault

People can try to protect him all they want. The defense has been bad for years. Maybe not this bad, but still really bad. He used to make so many more saves that would keep the Stars in the game. He has gotten worse for sure.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
People can try to protect him all they want. The defense has been bad for years. Maybe not this bad, but still really bad. He used to make so many more saves that would keep the Stars in the game. He has gotten worse for sure.

Absolutely. His play has been about average and he's not the guy for us to Cup-contend with long-term IMO. To his defense, no goalie could put this league-worst Defense into the playoffs.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Last night should have been 10-3. He made some unreal saves and kept it at least relatively close. Last night he was the least of Dallas's problem as the leafs had high quality shots on nearly every one he faced. Don't blame the goalie for defensive mishaps.

Brand New Stars

I really don't care about last night. I stopped watching after the 1st period. This whole year he hasn't been the same. If some people can't see that then whatever, I can't go back and point out all the terrible goals he's let in or saves he probably would've made in previous years.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I really don't care about last night. I stopped watching after the 1st period. This whole year he hasn't been the same. If some people can't see that then whatever, I can't go back and point out all the terrible goals he's let in or saves he probably would've made in previous years.

It's the weirdest thing. He gives up goals he shouldn't and then stands on his head. Most games it's hard to sit and say Kari is the problem but he also doesn't win many games we shouldn't win.

Brand New Stars

I stopped reading after this period.

Good. I don't want to hear the opinion of someone that thinks every single second of every single game must be watched to make an informed opinion.

MetalGodAOD*

It's the weirdest thing. He gives up goals he shouldn't and then stands on his head. Most games it's hard to sit and say Kari is the problem but he also doesn't win many games we shouldn't win.

Yes. Goaltending creates momentum and he's letting in softies which hurts the team's confidence. Standing on your head after letting in 5, half of which shouldn't have gone in, doesn't mean as much really.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
STARS COACH LINDY RUFF

On the first goal
“Tough turnover on the wall and that’s probably a goal that our goalie could have had for us, but it’s been a little bit of our story of late.”

On if they generated enough chances
“I thought we didn’t generate any in Colorado. I thought we had enough chances to win the game tonight. I know we gave up too many, but you get down and you got to push. Effort wise, the effort was there. I thought we made some tough decisions, even offensively. Even Jamie Benn on the 2-on-1 to not shoot that himself was a little bit of a tough decision. We had some Grade-A opportunities that we didn’t convert. I thought their guy didn’t make many mistakes. Our 5-on-3 was awful. It was probably the biggest negative in the game.”

On the Leafs’ top two lines
“I thought they got a couple soft goals, which obviously helps.”

Says it all.

Brand New Stars

So the coach of the team basically agrees about Kari while trying to not completely throw him under the bus. I'll take it.

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
If Ruff really thinks "I thought we made some tough decisions, even offensively. Even Jamie Benn on the 2-on-1 to not shoot that himself was a little bit of a tough decision."... Why the hell did he throw Jordie back out in any kind of situations, even the PP...

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If Ruff really thinks "I thought we made some tough decisions, even offensively. Even Jamie Benn on the 2-on-1 to not shoot that himself was a little bit of a tough decision."... Why the hell did he throw Jordie back out in any kind of situations, even the PP...

He's a players coach, I guess.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
To be fair, I think McDavid would make this team a contender

Benn - Spezza - Seguin
Nichushkin - McDavid - Hemsky/Ritchie/Dickinson

is nuts...

Our defense is coming too:

Nemeth, Klingberg, Honka, Oleksiak, Lindell...

Yah, there will be benifit in the fact that either Spezza or McDavid gets to play along with Seguin-Benn, but again, u look at this year's roster and people will say that's more than enough offense to contend for a playoffs spot.

Most of the defensemen u mentioned are still an "IF" project. I'm not saying they are bad but any of those players can end up being mediocre. Just look at Ottawa (except for Karlsson).

Are you kidding? We don't need to upgrade our management. Jim Nill has done everything in his power to ice the best team possible. It's really not his fault that Daley/Goligoski/Dillon/Jordie/Kari have regressed so badly.

And getting McDavid would turn us into a contender. Only a matter of time until he turns Buffalo/Carolina/Edmonton into one.

I wasn't talking about Nill, I was talking about the coaching management. I'm not going to go all out on Ruff, but the guys around him has to be responsible for this team's downfall.

And no, not only McDavid is not going to make this team into "contender". Sorry to be a party pooper for dreamers who think he is going to the Stars, but "one player" isn't going to turn around the entire franchise.

And don't pull the "what about Crosby". When that team became a cup contender, they had enough depth on forward and defensemen (goaltending could be questionable, but it's not bad).

This team needs help in every position...ESPECIALLY defense and goaltending.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Nill has done alright in the two big trades he has made, but most every other move he has made as GM outside of drafting Nichushkin (which fell to him) has been a flop in my opinion.

Pessimistic much? As far as Dillon he could turn out to be an excellent player but it wasn't happening here and he is a rfa so decisions had to be made. With difficult negotiating last year it made for a necessary move. Not to mention, he is a lhd that isn't a power play guy or a puck mover. Nemeth and Oleksiak should more than adequately have Dillons game covered in the coming years.

1 Demers has been better for us this year.
2 Demers is a very cheap place holder at rd until Honka is ready.
3 SJ gave us a 3rd and retained salary.

Could we have gotten more for Dillon, maybe, but I don't see many being to critical when all is said and done.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Last night should have been 10-3. He made some unreal saves and kept it at least relatively close. Last night he was the least of Dallas's problem as the leafs had high quality shots on nearly every one he faced. Don't blame the goalie for defensive mishaps.

When does a team EVER give up 10 goals? Or 6 or 7 for that matter? Saying that Kari has been average/mediocre does not imply that the defense is absolved of any blame. Only that goaltending exists to clean up mistakes. When mistakes occur at the level of goaltending as well, the 2014-2015 Dallas Stars is what you end up with.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Alistar, first off let's wait the proper 4-5 years before declaring Nichushkin a flop. Just because he's not living up to our high expectations at 19 doesn't mean he's a flop of a pick.

The Dillon trade will likely be a win-win IMO. Dillon had been pretty bad here and Demers has been way more impactful in Green. He also brings the right shot that we needed.

Was it you that was also calling for Nill's head?? There seems to be hysteria in the air.

He didn't call Nichushkin a flop. He meant that everything Nill did besides the two trades for Seguin and Spezza and drafting Nichushkin has been a flop.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Would be interesting to hear from the horses mouth. Someone should ask Kari which is the worst defense he has played behind in his ten years - some of those old Atlanta defenses, and/or which version of the Stars D in his six years here. Not that he would answer......

Brand New Stars

What good would that do? How about asking him why he lets in so many soft goals that surely let the team down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad