GDT: Game 24: BOS @ MTL | Un Match Classique | Nov. 26, 2019 7:00pm ET, TSN2 RDS, NESN (MOD WARNING #1)

How Many Leads Will We Blow?

Votes: 55 47.8%

Votes: 14 12.2%

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 3+

Votes: 34 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I really wanted Byron moved because we already have a lot of small forwards in the top 9 that take priority over him (Gallagher, Tatar, Domi, Drouin, Suzuki).

But our GM was on tsn690 and he said Paulie Byron is a guy you win with. What does that even mean??? Just because he's got character, he's a guy you win with???? Kovalev has a stanley cup. You need a variety of players. Him saying that, combined with him saying he had no interest whatsoever in a player like Nyquist, said a lot to me. He used to value character over everything. Now it's character and speed. Skill and size are so far behind, in practice they're almost non-factors for him.

I would like big, fast, skilled players. But while waiting for Poehling and KK, I would have liked to have seen available players like Skinner, Perron, MoJo, Dzingle, Nyquist, and Duclair be playing with KK, Domi, and Suzuki in the top 9. When you don't have an elite line, the 3rd line has to be skilled. A good 4th line with players like Lehkonen, Armia, and Byron can also help.

Based on the amount of wins they have accumulated since he got hurt, it might mean he's the difference between winning and losing. They also went 5-9 in November last year when he was out and 2-4 in the 6 games he missed in Feb last year.

While we may regret 3 more years of Byron at 3.4M, I have a feeling that Buffalo will regret 7 more of Skinner at $9M more. This year is his 1st of that new 8 year deal he is on pace for 48 points.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Based on the amount of wins they have accumulated since he got hurt, it might mean he's the difference between winning and losing. They also went 5-9 in November last year when he was out and 2-4 in the 6 games he missed in Feb last year.

While we may regret 3 more years of Byron at 3.4M, I have a feeling that Buffalo will regret 7 more of Skinner at $9M more. This year is his 1st of that new 8 year deal he is on pace for 48 points.

I totally agree on Skinner. No way I would have given him that money. But I said in the summer, trading a 2nd for him should be at least trading a 2nd and b level prospect for a 1st - because that's at least what he'll fetch at the TDL. He ended up exceeding my expectations (I expected 25- 33 goals). When he started asking for the kind of money he wanted, we could have traded him for at least that LD we want (perhaps Cam Fowler) or a 1st and a really good prospect...

As for Byron, those win loss numbers are misleading. Last year he went down at the same time as Armia. We also had a team that needed three good lines, so losing both hurt our depth. Plus we had an even worse 4th line, and had to have guys like Agostino playing on the 3rd line.

I don't think it's so much that Drouin and Byron are so good as it is that we need 3 good lines to win. When these players go down, it hurts us more than a team with an elite top 6. This is the lineup I wanted to see this summer:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Domi Dzingle
Mojo Kotkaniemi Suzuki
Lehkonen Weal/Thompson Armia

Byron traded for a 2nd. When Poehling and Caufield are ready, trade vets like Dzingle, MoJo, and Tatar for more 2nds and 1sts. Keep the cycle of adding offensive vets and trading them for 2nds and 1sts. Have multiple 2nds and 1sts every year. Essentially I saw MoJo, Dzingle, Nyquist, Perron, and Skinner as free picks down the line, as well as good vets for the young players to play with.

Reactions: CDN24

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Based on the recent sample size Charles Hudon does not belong in the NHL
Recent? Based on every game he played in the NHL...Hudon does not belong there.
He is a career AHL/Europe/KHL type of player. Not sure why we keep going with him.

Reactions: Tyson

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
at morning skate:
Hudon - KK - Armia

/ send the kid down
What's sad is that he is probably the worst player on that line. No clue why KK is still here. Gotta make sure Julien JUST misses the playoffs for the 4th time in 6 years. One of the other 2 years was a disaster and the other one was when the Bruins were about to miss the playoffs. Bruins fired him and Price went god mode when we hired him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t know why people are ripping on Hudon. He’s actually looked good.

Hudon hasn't been defensively. Two goals were mainly his fault. The Buchnevik goal, he went right to the puck carrier that was already easily being covered, leaving Buchnevik wide open down the middle.

Another goal he couldn't get the puck out of his own zone when it came to his wing. How hard is it to cover your point man and when the puck comes around to your wing, either get it out or eat the puck on the boards. He's unwilling or unable to do these things.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
We lost to the worst teams and also are at rock bottom. We now play one of the best teams, so a solid chance we will win. Good ole predictable habs sigh.

Reactions: Censored Toad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Match classique...but not sold out.

This is why I understand if Molson doesn't want to tank.

Montreal fans don't show up for a loser. We're too emotionally invested. We don't want to go see a lousy, losing team, especially for 3 to 5 years in a row. Tanking would be disastrous financially imo.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Montreal fans don't show up for a loser. We're too emotionally invested. We don't want to go see a lousy, losing team, especially for 3 to 5 years in a row. Tanking would be disastrous financially imo.

Well if they miss this season, it'd be 4/5 years out of playoffs while trying to make it. There is no transparent plan so why should people assume change. A tank is a least a plan/something to hope for. I think it will garner much more interest.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Yeah, I would think for reasons outside our control. the Cosmo's will align and somehow we will get some trashy lucky goals and beat the Bears cause its the bears.

I mean I just dont' understand this team sometimes but I feel a win tonight.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
WbCYL2B.png

giphy.gif
Now that's a good quote.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Umm, you can say that about any team. Considering we are one of the richest teams. I think Molson would be just fine with tanking for 2-3 years. In fact, we could argue people are starting not to show up because they are sick of this team spinning their wheels and being stuck in mediocrity for 25 years.

Montreal fans, especially the fans growing up to see the team win cups expect much more from this once-proud organization and I believe it would be in the best interest even financially for the Habs to acquire some elite talent through the draft, to add to the decent prospect pool we currently have.

I would be more excited to watch this team ice guys like Caufield, Bayfield, Alexis Lafreniere, KK, Romanov etc, than watching a team stuck with mediocre players

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad