Pre-Game Talk: GAME 24 10:07 PM - THE BEAR has the firehose ready - NESN, ESPN+, CITY, SN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The Flames are a very good team. I would STILL gladly take Looch back to Boston.

I will try and watch this late game. Who else is watching tonight ?

GO BRUINS

I just retired a few weeks ago and have always been hopelessly addicted to watching Bruins games no matter when or where, but I just can't cheer for their demise even though I've had enough of Sweeney awhile ago

GO BRUINS!!!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I suggest all the Sweeney haters if you aren’t rooting against Bruins already start

was I really just lucky a week before FA to post here Ullmark 4/20 :naughty:

Reactions: 13Hockey

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
036AFD52-AD50-4EAC-9789-E5609C6FC51F.jpeg

Got a few moons ready to be inhaled for some Saturday hockey!

side note: my ice froze in 8 minutes hahaha

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I just retired a few weeks ago and have always been hopelessly addicted to watching Bruins games no matter when or where, but I just can't cheer for their demise even though I've had enough of Sweeney awhile ago

GO BRUINS!!!
No don't cheer for their demise. There are enough already on this board who seem to get off on them playing poorly.

I have been a fan for too many years to do anything but cheer on the boys on the Bruins .

I hope they can fill a couple of the spots that need to be filled and make a good run. None of us knows what might happen.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
same here. True Bruin. Loved every minute we had him.
Just a terrible twist of fate with what happened with his dad. Bruins did right by him IMO.
What I love about Looch is how well he speaks of Boston, the Bruins and the fans. He seems so grateful to have played in Boston.

It is genuine and the fans know it. The guys who know him on the Bs and behind the bench speak very highly of his character.

For a big tough guy he is an emotional and thoughtful guy. I loved this article I hope everyone here got a chance to read ....

So on the celebration of Milan's 1000th game I give you...

This is by Kirk Luedeke on Looch

"That fall, Lucic came to Boston, but was only allowed to participate in the rookie camp portion. Phil Kessel was dominating the buzz as the team’s top selection and after cratering the year before, the B’s had spent huge in free agency to bring in Zdeno Chara, Marc Savard. With other veterans up front like Shean Donovan, Mark Mowers, Petr Tenkrat (TENKRAT!- sorry inside joke there), Yan Stastny and Jeff Hoggan to name a few, the club sent Lucic and Brad Marchand (taste the irony, eh?) back to their junior clubs without giving them an opportunity to take the ice with the veterans.

I remember talking to Lucic about it after the last rookie camp scrimmage and he was genuinely ticked about it. I recall very clearly him telling me “I skated my bag off” all summer to prepare for main camp…it clearly did not sit well with him that he wasn’t welcome there with the vets. At the same time, he said he understood and would work that much harder to make an impression during the season and be ready to compete in 2007. Therefore, when I said earlier, that he made the Bruins out of his first training camp opportunity- that’s the truth. Like the WHL, he was snubbed his first time out.
We ended up talking a few times while he was still around the team, and he remembered me from the draft. I mentioned in passing that I might not be around to see him at camp in a year because there was a good chance my unit would be sent to Iraq. I recall him stopping what he was doing, getting very serious, and shaking my hand while putting his hand on my shoulder and wishing me luck and safety. He was genuine there, and while I didn’t want to make a big deal of my Army service, it was nice to see a young guy show his appreciation the way he did.
Indeed, my unit was soon after alerted for a deployment (my second) to Baghdad where we would spend 15 months as part of the troop surge in 2007-08. While I was over there, I followed Lucic as best I could- tracking his 30-goal WHL campaign followed by winning the 2007 Memorial Cup. He was named captain of the Giants for the 2007-08 season, but that would not come to pass as he made the Bruins the following fall and went on to post a memorable rookie season with modest scoring (8 goals, 27 points) totals but won the hearts and minds of the Boston faithful with his energy and physicality.

By the time I returned from my deployment at the end of the 2008 season, I was transferred to the Washington D.C. area over the summer. The Bruins played their last preseason game at Verizon Center against the Washington Capitals (an overtime loss with Manny Fernandez in net). When I walked into the visitors’ dressing room, Lucic was seated over at the far end, still with most of his gear on, but we made eye contact and he immediately bounced up and came across the room to shake my hand and welcome me back. It was a small thing for sure…but for me it was a big thing. Though we did not stay in contact during my tour in Iraq, he remembered that I had been overseas, and seemed extremely glad to see me again. It’s not like I had covered him extensively before I left for the desert, but I guess I made enough of an impression and that simple recognition and act of making a small effort to simply say hello went a long way and tells me a lot about who he is as a person.
That interaction framed all further contact I had with Lucic while covering the team from late 2009 until this past June when he was dealt. Even if not interviewing him as part of the coverage, he would always make time for a friendly chat to catch up, as I am not around the team on a daily basis as the beat reporters are. In short, it was the Milan Lucic I got to know when the cameras and recorders were not turned on that I got to know the best, and will always be grateful for. He was honest, sincere, and even if some of his actions reflected poorly at times, I believe that he tried his best to do the right thing and the emotions of playing on the edge like he did sometimes pulled him over to the wrong side.
So, to make a long post short (and thank you for allowing me to indulge in my own personal accounting here), Lucic will be missed far more than most are letting on. Even if he didn’t fight as often near the end as he had done before…even if he didn’t move his feet with the consistency that a player of his status and cap hit demanded, there were times when he was in a class all his own as a force of nature. Those moments simply weren’t enough for a lot of fans…and the team decided to move on as well. But to me, Lucic symbolizes an important time in Bruins history- as the franchise has won just six total Stanley Cup championships since 1924, he and his 2011 mates established a legacy that will always be respected in Boston. He was the right player, at the right time. His 139 goals, 342 points and 772 penalty minutes in 566 career NHL games with the B’s won’t land him at the top of any of the team’s statistical categories, but they do tell part of the story of a player who wore his heart on his sleeve for eight seasons."

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Random stats of the day:
  • The Bruins have a combined .950 winning percentage when leading after the first and/or second periods.
  • The Flames have a combined .000 winning percentage when trailing after the first and/or second periods.
  • Taylor Hall career in Calgary: 15 games ; 6g-14a-20p
  • Brad Marchand career in Calgary: 8 games ; 8-2-10
  • David Pastrnak career in Calgary: 5 games ; 3-4-7

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If given the chance, I truly believe Looch would come back here to the Bruins.

That leadership is important. And it's lacking here. Bergy can only do so much.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If given the chance, I truly believe Looch would come back here to the Bruins.

That leadership is important. And it's lacking here. Bergy can only do so much.
Bergy isn't the only leader on the Bs.

I too would love to see Looch back but don't expect it will happen.

Reactions: Mione134

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Most of my posse home work season ticket holders including many here I’m in text group all want Sweeney back

I guess the saying like attracts like is true

I was never a critic of Sweeney until he made all those dreadful offseason moves, now I feel it's best the Bruins move on from him. I hate that we now ice such a soft team, and our top players are constantly bullied with no pushback, that's on Sweeney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad