Pre-Game Talk: GAME 24 10:07 PM - THE BEAR has the firehose ready - NESN, ESPN+, CITY, SN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-12-11_3-40-50.png

upload_2021-12-11_3-41-29.png

upload_2021-12-11_3-42-20.png

Despite a three-game losing skid, the Calgary Flames remain atop the Pacific Division standings heading into Saturday's home clash with the Boston Bruins.

It's a remarkable position for the Flames to hold, since they have the fewest home-ice victories among the eight Pacific Division clubs. Granted, the Flames have played the fewest home games at this point, but their 4-2-4 record at the Saddledome certainly leaves much to be desired.

"We need to improve our home record and the games at home. There's nothing more fun than to win at home in front of the fans and family and friends. We need to get going and keep going," coach Darryl Sutter said.

The Flames are coming off a 2-1 overtime loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday in the first half of this two-game homestand. On three occasions in the third period, Carolina skaters saved sure goals with outreached sticks after shots had beaten the goaltender.

But a loss is a loss, so there are no moral victories.

"We didn't get two points, so it wasn't good," goalie Jacob Markstrom said. "We didn't get two points, and now we haven't got two points three games in a row. That's not good for our group, not good for our team and not good enough for me."

The Flames, who boast a 12-1-3 record against Eastern Conference teams, certainly have one key area to address. Their power play failed to convert on five chances against the Hurricanes, including one handed with just over one minute remaining in regulation time and spilled into the overtime. Calgary has failed to score with 11 power-play chances in the last four games.

The Bruins arrive after claiming a thrilling 3-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday, in which Matt Grzelcyk scored the winner with 2:33 remaining in regulation time after his team saw a 2-0 lead disappear. Recovering to win meant a lot to the Bruins after losing two straight games in extra time, including a 2-1 shootout loss to the Vancouver Canucks the night before.

"We ended up getting a point but weren't incredibly happy with the way we played (in Vancouver)," Grzelcyk said. "We knew we had a back-to-back coming into a tough building playing one of the best teams in the league. We have a lot of character on this team, a lot of believability. We sort of adjusted before the game that we wanted to play with a little more urgency, play with some more passion. Think that was kind of missing from our game (against the Canucks)."

Boston, which is just outside of a wild-card spot in the standings, has struggled to cobble together consistency, and the way the Bruins buckled down after seeing their lead disappear is a positive step.

"We just started playing. We just started playing our game in the third," said assistant coach Joe Sacco, who is guiding the team while coach Bruce Cassidy remains home battling COVID-19. "It took us a couple periods to get going, but our group knew that we hadn't played our best hockey through two periods, and they went out and played hockey.

"The circumstances are what they are, but we felt like we're in the game after two and in a good situation. So, keep playing, just play hockey, stay on the attack, don't sit back, don't be so passive. And it was a better third, a good response after they got their second goal."

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
This would be one hell of a good win if they can pull it off.

Think a solid win would give most the fan base some hope that this team maybe isn't all that bad.

Revenge that 4-0 loss earlier where this team was considered trash and going nowhere fast.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure how I feel about tonight

I love the Bruins but I want everyone fired and traded and the only way going to happen is if we lose

I’m also not sure they hire the perfect GM. I’m not even sure if is but I’ll know it when I see his body of work

Rooting for this team is hard

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’m watching. Up doing all my chores then I’ll nap and watch hockey all night

never understood people not wanting looch back.

I agree. Looch was meant to be a Bruin.

I have said this before ...There are a few players (x Bruins) that my friends behind the bench keep in touch with and really like. Looch is one of them. I believe the few Bruin players who played with Milan feel the same (Bergy, Brad , Pasta and Tuukka).

I loved seeing Looch on the celebration video for Keith Robinson's 2000th game. Keith loved it too.

It is a gloomy day here in NH. Cold and rain. I have some stuff to do and then will rest up for tonight. I hope the Bs play well.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Interesting 10 game stretch coming up for the Bruins.

Blue = Point%
Orange = Winning%

upload_2021-12-11_8-38-6.png

NYI, MTL, OTT (x2) & BUF are all teams they should beat. We typically play well against PIT, which leaves CGY, VGK, CAR & COL. Don't see them going 4-0 vs those teams, but if they can steal one and managed a point in another of those 4 games then that would be a solid 10 game stretch producing a 7-2-1 record.

*I did both W% and P% because while some teams don't have a great W% (like PIT), they aren't easy outs and still manage to get points in games they don't win.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I’m watching. Up doing all my chores then I’ll nap and watch hockey all night

never understood people not wanting looch back.
He was a dog his last few years here and unless Sutter is coming with him I'm not interested
Do you really think Cassidy would get the most out of him? No way

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure how I feel about tonight

I love the Bruins but I want everyone fired and traded and the only way going to happen is if we lose

I’m also not sure they hire the perfect GM. I’m not even sure if is but I’ll know it when I see his body of work

Rooting for this team is hard

Agreed, the right thing to do is hope for a sound thrashing.

Continuing to win will detour the needed exit of Cassidy's hole in the wall gang.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pens, Jackets, Wings, and Devils are who the Bs need to be at least keeping up with. Those teams are the Wildcard competition for the Bs at the moment. Bs beat an Oilers team on a 3 game losing streak. Flames are also now on a 3 game losing streak. Might as well beat them as well. 2 pts would be fantastic. 1 pt against the Flames would be totally fine. Plenty of very winnable games over the next couple weeks. Just keep staying in the hunt and hope something will start clicking with the underperformers on the Bs.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I hope I can stay up. I probably will. Let’s make this a great road trip and keep the momentum going in the right direction.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed, the right thing to do is hope for a sound thrashing.

Continuing to win will detour the needed exit of Cassidy's hole in the wall gang.
Also if they get Hertl and win we will be stuck with Sweeney & Neely forever when we could get this hot shot assistant to the assistant in Tampa who’s name I can’t remember but I think he’s got a vowel in his last name - and supposed to be awesome

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hope Sacco doesn’t want to show up Cassidy and break up first line

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Also if they get Hertl and win we will be stuck with Sweeney & Neely forever when we could get this hot shot assistant to the assistant in Tampa who’s name I can’t remember but I think he’s got a vowel in his last name - and supposed to be awesome

Not worried about getting Hertl.

Sweeney & Neely, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad