GDT: Game 23: Blue Jackets @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ PLUS

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I actually like corey hirsch, he's on sometimes on NHL network radio, and is generally pretty good. Former goalie. He was the canadian goalie on the other end of the famous Forsberg one-handed shootout move in the 90s that won gold for sweden. Now everyone does that move. Duclair scored on a similar one handed shot last year. Remember when Duclair used to score? He has 1 goal this season. 1 GOAL.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
True. However, I think Tippet has the owners ears. These owners are just as much rookies as our GM. I'd imagine they'll be patient with Tipped and believe in what he's doing, or lack there of.

I think we're stuck fellas. Tippet obviously isn't going to change his coaching style and I don't think ownership has the credence to boot him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well that would be ownership's call most likely but I basically agree with your point about not seeing it. But that mostly has to do with us being poor.

Money and pride. They just sold everybody a bill of goods that this was an improving team and the one thing they needed was more Tippett power. They aren't going to admit, "Oops, our bad" just because the team is awful. They'll fall back on "We expected this. No worries" while we undermine the foundation of the last rebuild to start a new, new rebuild. That's when people will actually be accountable. Year 7 of suck.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think we're stuck fellas. Tippet obviously isn't going to change his coaching style and I don't think ownership has the credence to boot him.

I think we're stuck unless he has a really horrible streak like 7+ games in a row lost and looking bad. If Barroway has found his balls again due to more money, we could be closer to the (wait for it) Tipping point than we realize.

Well that would be ownership's call most likely but I basically agree with your point about not seeing it. But that mostly has to do with us being poor.

Another team might offer him more, so the Coyotes would be off the hook. Could be a roundabout way of saving money.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I got a kick out of Smith going to smash his stick on the post and then seeing the referee and stopping.

The ref flinching was great.

Smitty needs to stop doing the bear. Because he gets absolutely ****ing burned every time he does it lmao.

That's a thing? I cracked up when I saw that. Was wondering what the hell he was doing.

Quick, bench them and throw out Richardson's corpse instead.

Post of the night right there.

They don't have the $$$$$. There is no way these owners eat a half decade. They financed the whole team and are begging for more subsidies from a new arena. Our only hope is he gets so tired of losing he quits and that's not happening.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Another team might offer him more, so the Coyotes would be off the hook. Could be a roundabout way of saving money.

Is his position as veep separate from his coaching contract? Noone is offering him more to coach. He's already a top 5 salary, isn't he? I just don't see them changing course so quickly. He'd have to throw up his hands and quit/be promoted to end this so soon. Doesn't sound like something that stubborn ******* would do this early, though you can see his frustration mounting. Yet again, I think they thought they could squeeze out a playoff berth this year. And don't tell me about the standings, because no one could watch the last ten games and come to the conclusion that we're a playoff team. I don't care what the record is for the last 10.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm happy we got a point tonight. There. Who's head is going to explode first?

Of course I'm happy with the point. As a fan, I want points when we don't win. Smith is playing up to his contract now.

Our defense was just brutal tonight. Crouse and D'Angelo seemed to be the best on the ice tonight. We had a lot of hits, but very few affected the play. We were chasing the puck from BJ player to BJ player in our own end and it was pathetic. OEL continues his substandard play. I seriously think that he has an injury.

Once again we lost most of the 1 on 1 battles. We were slower to the puck and easier separated from the puck than the BJ's.

If Crouse can learn to score and Duclair can learn to play defense they both might be something special. Duclair is a one dimensional player. He is only effective if he receives the puck in stride. He doesn't create. RIght now he's not finishing either. IMO he's a disappointment.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of the positives tonight: Our PK is coming along. Now climbed up to 20th in the league. Getting there. We were at 30th for a looong time. We killed multiple 2-man advantages tonight. Obviously Jesus Goalie helps, but progress.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really don't think I can keep watching Dave Tippett run this franchise. It's more likely than not that he keeps his job and I just walk away from this. Accumulation of young talent is the building blocks of a beautiful sand castle and Dave Tippett is the tide.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I really don't think I can keep watching Dave Tippett run this franchise. It's more likely than not that he keeps his job and I just walk away from this. Accumulation of young talent is the building blocks of a beautiful sand castle and Dave Tippett is the tide.

Agree 100%. This is too painful.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
8 games in the next two weeks, most of them on the road. If they win 2 or fewer I think there's a chance he gets fired. That'd be 5 points (or less) out of 20 and would basically seal their fate for the season.

Coaches generally don't get fired on the road, so 18th of December would be an opportunity for a clean cut with the next 5 at home. There's also a 5 day break after the home game on the 7th of January. Either way, they need to cut him loose and get teams that are looking for answers interested in him as a possible solution before he sullies his record further.

Of course, this is all just fantasy. It's entirely possible they make several panic trades before changing out the coach. I have faith that Chayka is not dumb, so we may learn just how much trust he has from ownership if he tries to block anything or doesn't go along with it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
For those that think DT is on the verge of being fired, consider this. What if, what if ownership. Chayka, and DT all agreed going into the season that they were going to go young. Younger than any Yotes team in history. DT said OK, but the consequences are that we will likely lose a lot of games, "I'll do my best, but fellas, it's gonna be ugly".

Could be DT has a free pass this season.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
One of the positives tonight: Our PK is coming along. Now climbed up to 20th in the league. Getting there. We were at 30th for a looong time. We killed multiple 2-man advantages tonight. Obviously Jesus Goalie helps, but progress.

As well as pairing Domi & Duke with Martinook and Crouse & Gaudet with 1:02'left in regulation - 4 on 4.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I'm happy we got a point tonight. There. Who's head is going to explode first?

Of course I'm happy with the point. As a fan, I want points when we don't win. Smith is playing up to his contract now.

Our defense was just brutal tonight. Crouse and D'Angelo seemed to be the best on the ice tonight. We had a lot of hits, but very few affected the play. We were chasing the puck from BJ player to BJ player in our own end and it was pathetic. OEL continues his substandard play. I seriously think that he has an injury.

Once again we lost most of the 1 on 1 battles. We were slower to the puck and easier separated from the puck than the BJ's.

If Crouse can learn to score and Duclair can learn to play defense they both might be something special. Duclair is a one dimensional player. He is only effective if he receives the puck in stride. He doesn't create. RIght now he's not finishing either. IMO he's a disappointment.

A rare assessment in this thread of what really happened. The players, not the coach, weren't keeping up with the BJ's. Those first and third period performances had nothing to do with sitting back to protect a lead or dump and chase. It had to do only with chasing around players they couldn't keep up with, and losing races and battles for the puck. You can't lead a rush or pass into the zone when your D (including all the forwards) can't even get it out of your own zone.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
A rare assessment in this thread of what really happened. The players, not the coach, weren't keeping up with the BJ's. Those first and third period performances had nothing to do with sitting back to protect a lead or dump and chase. It had to do only with chasing around players they couldn't keep up with, and losing races and battles for the puck. You can't lead a rush or pass into the zone when your D (including all the forwards) can't even get it out of your own zone.

It's what players tend to do when they feel / are outmatched. The frustration gets worse and the resulting play follows suite.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
For those that think DT is on the verge of being fired, consider this. What if, what if ownership. Chayka, and DT all agreed going into the season that they were going to go young. Younger than any Yotes team in history. DT said OK, but the consequences are that we will likely lose a lot of games, "I'll do my best, but fellas, it's gonna be ugly".

Could be DT has a free pass this season.

Except the young ones are the players he craps on the most. If you are going to change the dynamic of your franchise like that, like Toronto did, you make them your core, not your scapegoat.

There's a great example of how to do this and how to treat those players and it's Toronto. Tippet is not coaching, speaking, or running this team in a way that would make me believe he expected this and intend on changing the face of the team with youth.

The players look like they hate playing hockey right now. That's a horrible sign.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

What about the assessment on HNIC? Or many others of our team by other fan bases. Is EVERYONE wrong except the few that think Tippet isn't the problem?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad