Post-Game Talk: GAME 23 - and the caissons go rolling along - BRUINS 5 Avalanche 1 F

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Watching the game last night it was the third line that was really the most impressive. I just love watching Hall and Coyle hulking there way around the offensive zone. For me both Hall and Coyle can carry the play but we are more productive when it finds Hall in the ozone. Not too complain though because I feel that Coyle is turning into 2019 Ryan O’Reilly right in front of our eyes. Together these two just seem so hard to play against. Frederic I don’t notice quite as much in the Ozone but he’s finding soft spots and making the complimentary plays with the puck when he gets it. More importantly Frederic has been a monster defensively.

This 3rd line for me is playing awesome hockey with room to improve as they gel and room to improve as we see Frederic’s growth before our eyes. Just super awesome to watch.

By the way no knock on those top 2 lines I really love what Zacha does and feel his production will increase. He makes so many plays but often seems a half step away from finishing. I think he overcomes this as he continues to play in the system. And the fact that DeBrusk is playing so well that this line has been elite enough to keep Pasta on line 2 is just huge. I feel DeBrusk has already surpassed my lofty projections I had for him in years 1 and 2. Maybe not quite the sniper I thought he might be but just a FAR more complete player then I expected at any point in his career. Ps Pay Pasta Pronto.
I feel like that’s what Coyles been missing his whole time here is a wing that can possess the puck. Of course it’s beyond expectations and slightly absurd that Taylor hall is on the 3rd line lol, so not surprising that line is doing well. Good move by Montgomery switching Zacha and Hall. The 2nd line can get by on offense alone. The 3rd line was stagnant with Zacha-Coyle-Frederic. Instant returns on hall moving down there.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
First game I have watched since the front office debacle. I know that health had a major factor to play in this game, but the Bruins look like a team playing in a different league at times 5on5. What can you say about this team that hasn't already been said?

They are playing to win hockey games for a change. It is absolutely fun to watch and a completely different on-ice product than we have been witness to for the past 14 years. They had a 3-0 lead going into the third period, and they actually sent a forechecker.

There was a sequence last night that would have led to Clifton spending time glued to the bench in any previous season. He passed the puck down low and skated a lane up the middle to the net. Got a return pass and created a scoring opportunity. Crazy to see that after 14 years of defense first hockey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Very well played game, what I liked most was the 3rd period. You knew the Avs were going to have a push at some point and they did but that push didn`t come from the B`s playing nothing but prevent hockey like they would have under Butch.

It was one of the most frustrating things about the teams Butch coached, it almost felt like he went into the dressing room if the team had the lead after two and insisted that they play ultra conservative.

Not this team, keep pushing the puck up ice, you can`t tell me the boys don`t absolutely love playing up tempo hockey, the winning is the reward

I don`t wanna hear the Avs were/are short now, f*** that, o begin the year, this team was missing one of the best D in the league and one of the top forwards in the league + Grizz, then Carlo got hurt, DK got hurt and all this team did was keep winning.

Also tired of fans here saying opponent X, Y or Z will be a good measuring stick, newflash, the Bruins are the measuring stick, not the other way around

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Apparently Hall should feel the same because he’s taken off since joining that line. He’s got points in 6 of his last 8 games. The only two he went scoreless were when Frederic was out icing his shoulder.

Bruins left wingers:

Marchand - 15 games 7-12-19 +6
Hall - 23 games 8-8-16 +5
Zacha - 23 games 3-13-16 +7
Foligno - 23 games 4-9-13 +7

Clearly Marchand is on a different level. But Hall, Zacha and Foligno are all putting up similar numbers while having 3 distinctly different playing styles. Foligno's numbers may be most impressive considering he's playing mostly on the 4th line and getting much less ice time.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Bruins left wingers:

Marchand - 15 games 7-12-19 +6
Hall - 23 games 8-8-16 +5
Zacha - 23 games 3-13-16 +7
Foligno - 23 games 4-9-13 +7

Clearly Marchand is on a different level. But Hall, Zacha and Foligno are all putting up similar numbers while having 3 distinctly different playing styles. Foligno's numbers may be most impressive considering he's playing mostly on the 4th line and getting much less ice time.
it gets real interesting when you look at 5v5 numbers

guess who leads this club in goals and pts per/60...

Reactions: CDJ and HustleB

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
people say this team reminds them of 2011 or 2012 or even 2014.
but with how dynamic the offense is and the crazy goal differential i still think this team is lije the 2008 2009 team.
i think after october that 08 09 team didnt lose much and destroyed teams from every line

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just want to know who is responsible for getting these guys to never pass up finishing a check, I don't recall the entire team collectively playing heavy like they have been. I don't mean huge hits, just pesky ones that get thrown instead of peeling off or avoiding contact if possible.
just an opinion from a pudgy, couch potato but my belief is, it`s players who have bought into a system. New coach steps in, players a bit hesitant I`m sure at first not having a clue what type of person the coach is, what kind of a system he`ll put forth, what`s he like with communication with the players.

Feels to me like Monty has a way he likes his teams to play and believes it will, more often than not, give them a better chance to win games, when that system starts showing results , players start going to the wall for them, now, add onto that the depth this team has, if player A isn`t doing his job, player B will be on the ice next game

I dunno, just my view

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Folongilo had to be the 7th man right? His one ice performance is a crazy turnaround but his off ice and locker room stuff also seems super important in my opinion.

This teams on another level right now.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Folongilo had to be the 7th man right? His one ice performance is a crazy turnaround but his off ice and locker room stuff also seems super important in my opinion.

This teams on another level right now.
Freddy or Clifton is my choice, Paying a guy 3.8m to play on the fourth line and be happy he's playing well is what I would expect. Foligno has been great let's hope it keeps up.

Reactions: northeastern

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Hello all. I just landed in Europe and got to the Hotel. Six-hour difference here than in Boston. Just heard that the B's won 5-1. Out f***ing standing! 14 in a row. Rolling along. I'm trying to get my VPN working but in the meantime, I'm watching last night's game from my home DVR. OUTSTANDING!
Welcome to my life (and to Europe 🙂).

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As is very often the case, you have an excellent grasp of the situation. All we can do is enjoy the ride now until the playoffs. The bar is now very high for this team, but I’ll take this all day every day.

When I was little, my old man told me stories about Bobby Orr and his Big Bad Bruins; I read about the mighty Canadiens dynasty; and I saw Gretzky’s Oilers firsthand. Just to have a taste of what the fans of those teams must have experienced is so amazing. It’s everything I imagined it would be.

It's terrific fun, isn't it? I've experienced it once before - my local rugby team had an outstanding stretch where they won 5 championships in 14 years, and at the beginning of that run in particular they just had such an awesome team with a core of guys who you already knew were future HOFers and a whole group that was very likeable - it was clear they were going places. So very similar to the Bruins except the core was younger.

Boston's not going to have the sustained run of success that that team had, but just this year alone is one to savor. This group is one the special ones, let's see where they end up.

Hello all. I just landed in Europe and got to the Hotel. Six-hour difference here than in Boston. Just heard that the B's won 5-1. Out f***ing standing! 14 in a row. Rolling along. I'm trying to get my VPN working but in the meantime, I'm watching last night's game from my home DVR. OUTSTANDING!

Where abouts in Europe are you? Enjoy your trip!

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
This team is by far the most exciting and enjoyable B’s team since I started watching in early 80’s. Right out of the gate with speed, skill, and a sprinkle of nasty. Incredible goaltending. Lindholm and Big Mac are just ridiculous. So much forward depth that are still improving.

I honestly was getting a little “bored” with a lot of games last year.

Oh… Thank you David Krejci for coming home. Feel free to stay longer! I would watch every game even if the boys were losing in appreciation of the opportunity to watch you and Bergeron for one more season. True teammates and leaders!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad