Pre-Game Talk: Game #22: Vancouver Canucks vs. Dallas Stars - Sunday, Nov. 17th 5:00PM - SNET-PAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Thank god, no more beastmodo. Really liking the new line combinations, I'm assuming Kesler's line will be matched up against Seguin's line?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Thank god, no more beastmodo. Really liking the new line combinations, I'm assuming Kesler's line will be matched up against Seguin's line?

mostly likely and it the most dangerous stars line....the other line don't scream scary at all

Wetcoaster

We need to trade for Yakapov.
It is Yakupov... and "Shirley", you cannot be serious.

Yakupov has all sorts of holes in his game, attitude problems and a lack of discipline.

Here is what he said on after the loss to the Leafs in mid-October:

"I don't really like playing without the puck, skate all the time and do forecheck and hit somebody every shift... I don't think it's my game."

Sounds like a guy Gillis and Tortorella would covet... NOT.

Besides the Canucks already have a better version of Yakupov in the pipeline in Hunter Shinkaruk.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

Yakupov has all sorts of holes in his game, attitude problems and a lack of discipline.

"I don't really like playing without the puck, skate all the time and do forecheck and hit somebody every shift... I don't think it's my game."

Besides the Canucks already have a better version of Yakupov in the pipeline in Hunter Shinkaruk.

Yakupov sound like another hodgson all offense no defense.........and you think Shinkaruk is as good as Yakupov?

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Should be a fun game to watch, I think Dallas will surprise some of you guys with the overall quality of the team. I know the obvious stat that meets the eye is Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin sitting way on top of the team scoring list, but the rest of the guys are all very solid "possession" players and more than capable of taking the play to the opposition.

There are elements about the Canucks that suggest Dallas will have a difficult time against them though. Mainly a great top line with the Sedin twins and historically a power play that has scored at will against the Stars. Dallas really struggles at defending the elite talent on the opposition, so I'd say it's a strong bet that the Sedin brothers could have 2 or 3 point nights. The key for Dallas will be overwhelming the rest of Vancouver's roster with their speed and forecheck, which gives even the top teams in the league a ton of trouble.

Also if I were you guys I wouldn't worry about missing the playoffs too much, the Canucks are a quality team - not smoke and mirrors like the Coyotes and the Avalanche, who are both overdue for an extended losing streak.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Archibald still hasn't beaten out Sestito for his job?

Archibald is back in Utica now. Showed some flashes, but needs some refinement from where I sit.

Also, as hard as I have been on Sestito, he's had a decent stretch of play over the last few games (at the very least, better than his usual 'utter garbage' style of play). Hopefully he took Tortorella's comments about Archie stealing someone's jobs as a motivating factor.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Archibald still hasn't beaten out Sestito for his job?

He has in my eyes won the job but GMMG can't get his ****ing ego out of the way for Sestito to get by him to the airport. One single thing GMMG does that pisses me of is his inability to adapt when his acquisitions fail. Ballard, Bernier, SOB, Sestito, and Booth (although there is still a sliver of hope) all over stayed their welcome IMO.

Also **** GMMG for waiving Volpatti he's exactly the type of player we need to replace Sestito.

Wetcoaster

Genuinely curious to know why, since I haven't seen Shinkaruk play much.
Attitude, discipline, desire, skills, desire to learn, team player, etc. He plays well without the puck.

Sort of the anti-Yakupov.

NHL Central Scouting ranked him #6 among North American Skaters while TSN's Bob McKenzie and Craig Button had him ranked #14:

Hunter is a very determined and competitive offensive player. He has very good skating ability with speed, quickness, change of pace, agility and excellent balance, which allows him to play in traffic and versus bigger players without being nullified. He's hungry to score and will pay the price to score and get to the scoring areas. He has very good hands and can beat goaltenders in a variety of ways and he is able to make those plays quickly and in tight areas. Recognizes offensive opportunities and he 'jumps' quickly when he sees the chance to take advantage and he does so with or without the puck. He plays with a competitive edge where he is simply not going to allow himself to be denied and he wants to be a difference maker in the game.​

NHL.com had a pre-draft article on him - "Medicine Hat's Shinkaruk driven to be the best":
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647409

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
Also **** GMMG for waiving Volpatti he's exactly the type of player we need to replace Sestito.

IIRC they had to put Volpatti on waivers to make way for the return of one of our better players before finding out someone else (kesler?) had an injury the next day. Sestito seemed to be a claim just to get somebody with size to fill the hole left by volpatti.

Bad luck more than anything from the sounds of it

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
IIRC they had to put Volpatti on waivers to make way for the return of one of our better players before finding out someone else (kesler?) had an injury the next day. Sestito seemed to be a claim just to get somebody with size to fill the hole left by volpatti.

Bad luck more than anything from the sounds of it

If I remember correctly, it was to fit Steve Pinizzotto (who had never played an NHL game) into the lineup, and that turned out to be a bust...

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Umm what

Wetcoaster

Sorry, but Shinkaruk is nowhere near as good as Yakupov. Seriously this guy is getting incredible underrated on here.
Yakupov may have better offensive skills but he is is lacking a number of areas.

Wetcoaster

The World According to Torts:

Lines not set, Luongo plays, Hansen has been missed as he plays in all situations and up and down the line-up, defensive game and puck possession have been very good, the offence will come if the Canucks go to the net, has not asked former Stars coach Gulutzen (now a Canucks assistant) about the Stars as he is worried about his own team.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Shinkaruk isn't exactly Jonathan Toews defensively. I love Shinkaruk but I'd much rather have Yakupov, and it really isn't even close.
Yup. And I love Shinkaruk. I think people tend to forget that these players are extremely young. Hodgson or Yakupov or whoever may be bad in their own end (looks even worse because both of them play on two of the worst teams in the NHL mind you) but they have plenty of time to learn. It'll come. They have that natural skill. In Yakupov's case it's an incredible amount of natural skill. Defense is something that can be taught. Would help if he played somewhere that could actually teach it to him.

Wetcoaster

Yup. And I love Shinkaruk. I think people tend to forget that these players are extremely young. Hodgson or Yakupov or whoever may be bad in their own end (looks even worse because both of them play on two of the worst teams in the NHL mind you) but they have plenty of time to learn. It'll come. They have that natural skill. In Yakupov's case it's an incredible amount of natural skill. Defense is something that can be taught. Would help if he played somewhere that could actually teach it to him.
First he has to be willing to learn and that seems to not be part of his make up.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

I still go with Hunter... basically for the same reason why I take Horvat over Nichushkin any day of the week.

Change the nationality and it's a completely different story though.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
So...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli Kassian
Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe/Welsh?

Anyone else think it's going to be hard for Schroeder to find a spot on this team? I mean, where does he fit?

Very optimistic but...

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Higgins Schroeder Kesler
Burrows Santorelli Hansen
Booth Richardson Weisse

If Kassian and Schroeder could play those roles this team would be a legitimate contender.

LolClarkson*

So a franchise player of Stamkos/Taveres/Lecavlier is sucked into the black hole known as Edmonton and you don't have the foresight to take advantage ?

There is nothing wrong with Yakupovs attitude. He is in Edmonton. End of story.

And if some loser rookie coach like Dallas Eakins was trying to turn me into David Clarkson, I'd say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad