Pre-Game Talk: Game #22: Vancouver Canucks vs. Dallas Stars - Sunday, Nov. 17th 5:00PM - SNET-PAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Loving the line changes. We need Kesler centering his own line so we can actually roll lines:

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 4m
Looks as though burrows will back with twins, Kesler with Higgins and Hansen, while 3rd L is Santorelli, booth and Zack

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Great news.

Although with Henrik-Kesler-Santorelli as our top-9 centres with Schroeder yet to return from injury, you have to wonder how much truth there is to Botchford speculating on us looking for another centre.

Zero, Botchford has no legitimate sources. History has proven this time and time again

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Great news.

Although with Henrik-Kesler-Santorelli as our top-9 centres with Schroeder yet to return from injury, you have to wonder how much truth there is to Botchford speculating on us looking for another centre.

It really depends on how Torts sees Kesler. If Kesler is a winger, then we need a centre - 2nd or 3rd line depends on Santorelli. If Torts sees Kesler as primarily a centre, then we need a top 6 winger with some finish. With Hansen (who only really plays wing) apparently healthy, moving Kesler to C is a fairly logical move.

Further down the road, when ever Jordan Schroeder is healthy, he will have to compete for the 3rd line spot with Santorelli and Richardson. I can see the logic in holding off on any trades. The team is playing well right now. We just need Burrows, and to some extent Daniel, to pick up the slack on offense.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It really depends on how Torts sees Kesler. If Kesler is a winger, then we need a centre - 2nd or 3rd line depends on Santorelli. If Torts sees Kesler as primarily a centre, then we need a top 6 winger with some finish.

This. Either way, we need another top 6 forward. I hope Philly continues to suck so we can pry Voracek from them. As I said before, if the Canucks can clear the needed salary I'd even take Lecavalier.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/401793550494355456

I guess the Kesler at wing experiment is over, for now.

For now, yes, but I think Kesler ends up on wing again before long. Torts has seemed to favour him there. LeftCoast has it right IMO.

Moving him off Beastmodo also allows him to be paired with Schroeder, should they choose to try it.

Lastly, I like that Booth and Santorelli are paired together again. I think it could work well.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Like the new lines. Kesler needs to start playing like a Selke winner again instead of a 40 goal scorer. The goals will come just fine. Grind down the opponents first.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
1-0 Stars

Canucks outshoot Stars 60-10.

Lehtonen makes enough highlight reel plays to take up all the room for TSN's Top 10 Saves of the Year.

Daniel breaks his stick as he tries shooting into an open net

Burrows dekes Lehtonen and scores, but the goal is waved off because of a hand pass that happened 10 seconds earlier

Aaron Rome, playing in his first game of the season, dumps the puck in. It bounces off the stanchion, off Hamhuis' hip from the hasmarks, off both posts, off Luongo's skates and in

i'm optimistic

I will agree with all of this.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
1-0 Stars

Canucks outshoot Stars 60-10.

Lehtonen makes enough highlight reel plays to take up all the room for TSN's Top 10 Saves of the Year.

Daniel breaks his stick as he tries shooting into an open net

Burrows dekes Lehtonen and scores, but the goal is waved off because of a hand pass that happened 10 seconds earlier

Aaron Rome, playing in his first game of the season, dumps the puck in. It bounces off the stanchion, off Hamhuis' hip from the hasmarks, off both posts, off Luongo's skates and in

i'm optimistic

9-1 Canucks. David Booth with 9 goals and Nichushkin with the Stars' lone goal and the Canucks board proceeds to spam "Should've picked Nichushkin!!!". Then during the 1st star skate, Booth skates to center ice, pulls off the mask and reveals it was Horvat all along.

I'm not sure why, but I don't find these "post something unrealistic" type of posts funny, entertaining, or informative. Perhaps they were funny the first couple of times when they were used years ago, but to have to wade through a bunch of them in every single game day thread seems to annoy me. Anyhow, my two cents, carry on.

With respect to the actual game, I think our depth will be given a good shot in the arm with the return of Hansen and bumping Kesler back to the second line. If Booth can't cut it, I would swap him with Richardson.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
So...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli - Kassian
Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe/Welsh?

Anyone else think it's going to be hard for Schroeder to find a spot on this team? I mean, where does he fit?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think the last hope for Booth is that he rekindles that chemistry he had with Santorelli in Florida.

No kidding. It would be huge if they actually have some chemistry together and Santorelli can get Booth going.

As for the new second line, still think that line lacks a skilled playmaker/creator. Kesler is a very good offensive player, but he scores a lot of his goals with his shot or in close(yes, I know he split Suter-Weber in the playoffs, but lets be honest, that's not his game). They need someone who can handle the puck in traffic and create some chances for the 2nd line. I'm a huge Kesler fan, but this team lacks that type of a player. As long as we lack that kind of a player, I think the team will continue to struggle scoring on a consistent basis.

Wetcoaster

How about this for disparity?

Brian Costello ‏@bcostellothn
Hard to believe if the NHL playoffs began now, Vancouver wouldn't make it. Yet the Canucks would be tied for second overall in the East.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
So...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli - Kassian
Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe/Welsh?

Anyone else think it's going to be hard for Schroeder to find a spot on this team? I mean, where does he fit?
He might be more effective than Booth? Theoretically Booth is a better player, but seems timid after all those injuries. Let's see where Booth is at 3-4 games from now.

A team isn't fully healthy for long, anywyas.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I'm not sure why, but I don't find these "post something unrealistic" type of posts funny, entertaining, or informative. Perhaps they were funny the first couple of times when they were used years ago, but to have to wade through a bunch of them in every single game day thread seems to annoy me. Anyhow, my two cents, carry on.

With respect to the actual game, I think our depth will be given a good shot in the arm with the return of Hansen and bumping Kesler back to the second line. If Booth can't cut it, I would swap him with Richardson.

If a couple posts on the internet annoy you, you're gonna have a bad time with life. Let it go or let it irritate you. Your choice. :handclap:

Wetcoaster

Sounds like the lines could be in the blender.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
"I tried some different things in practice today. We'll see what the lines will be." Torts

And Luongo gets the start - no surprise after his solid performance against the Sharks and he is rested.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Luongo will get the start tomorrow night.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
A lot depends on if Kesler shows he can create offense on the 2nd line. If he can, it changes the whole dynamic of the forward group. It would give the Canucks a 2nd line, not a "best of the rest" line. We know the Sedins will be just as effective - if not, more effective - with Burrows so the 1st line will still be fine. Kesler gives the 2nd line more of a presence. Now we just need to see if he can do what he did with Raymond and Samuelsson from 2009 to 2011. Further, as has been repeated ad nauseum by myself and others, Gillis needs to acquire another skilled top 6 forward to work with Kesler.

LolClarkson*

Wow these Stars are going to be a tough bunch in 2 or 3 years. We need to trade for Yakapov.

Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - Valeri Nichushkin
Alex Chiasson - Cody Eakin - Erik Cole

Wetcoaster

A lot depends on if Kesler shows he can create offense on the 2nd line. If he can, it changes the whole dynamic of the forward group. It would give the Canucks a 2nd line, not a "best of the rest" line. We know the Sedins will be just as effective - if not, more effective - with Burrows so the 1st line will still be fine. Kesler gives the 2nd line more of a presence. Now we just need to see if he can do what he did with Raymond and Samuelsson from 2009 to 2011. Further, as has been repeated ad nauseum by myself and others, Gillis needs to acquire another skilled top 6 forward to work with Kesler.
Or put Kassian on the second line - he has shown play making skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad