GDT: Game 22: Avalanche @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Personally… I’m ok with the penalty LOB took on that play.
It’s a culture thing for me and I would trade 1 or 2 points against Colorado in a November game to send the message to our own players that we stand up for each other. If it also ends up seeing the message to Colorado that it won’t be easy to throw hits at will then even better.

The worst hockey I’ve watched is the gutless, nutless Yotes that let teams take advantage of our better players time and time again with no push back or response whatsoever. Team needs to be competitive in every facet of the game.

Further, trading out LOB for Manson for 5 minutes is a good trade anyways. Haha

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally… I’m ok with the penalty LOB took on that play.
It’s a culture thing for me and I would trade 1 or 2 points against Colorado in a November game to send the message to our own players that we stand up for each other. If it also ends up seeing the message to Colorado that it won’t be easy to throw hits at will then even better.

The worst hockey I’ve watched is the gutless, nutless Yotes that let teams take advantage of our better players time and time again with no push back or response whatsoever. Team needs to be competitive in every facet of the game.

Further, trading out LOB for Manson for 5 minutes is a good trade anyways. Haha
Sending a message to Colorado? Colorado would do that every game if it meant LOB would get sucked into a penalty on a legal hit. LOB scares no one. Hell, his hockey contribution this year has been better than his so call toughness. I thought I would never say that.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sending a message to Colorado? Colorado would do that every game if it meant LOB would get sucked into a penalty on a legal hit. LOB scares no one. Hell, his hockey contribution this year has been better than his so call toughness. I thought I would never say that.
He has been out there on the PK, I agree, he's been a better player than a thug.

Reactions: Summer Rose

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
As Legend already pointed out, LOB got an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty and not an Instigator penalty. When they came back from the TV timeout and Nash and McConnell were saying that LOB got the instigator, I was surprised because I was pretty sure that Manson's glove(s) were off first. So I went back and rewatched the play a few times. Sure enough, it looks like Mansons glove(s) came off first, so why did LOB get an instigator? Upon closer inspection, it looks like LOB actually pulls Mansons glove off him and I believe that is why LOB got an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty. This is just like pulling another players helmet off during active play. Had LOB just skated up to Manson and challenged him and Manson obliged, I don't think LOB gets and extra 2. Still a dumb move by LOB, but not the true instigator penalty per NHL rules.
This is an excellent post!

IMO it clearly wasn't an instigator and didn't understand what LOB did to get unsportsman. Thanks for pointing out why.

First, the hit was clean...it was just loud. That's what triggered LOB who had been looking for a fight all game. I think LOB decision to approach Manson at that point in the game was risky. I don't trust the refs to make the correct call (ie no instigator) in that situation, although they did. So he got lucky but then did a bonehead move.

Second, I am all for fighting in NHL and sticking up for teammates but you have to be smart about it. I am reminded from years ago when Alonzo Mourning would get in fights and post game would say "You have to defend your manhood" even if it costs you the game. That is just dumb!

If you applied that logic, then there would be ten fights/game. You have to pick a number and deal with later. That's how it used to before they started with the stupid instigator rule. Players knew to take a number.

NHL is a game of mistakes and there are many during a game, but this one was a big one, although I thoroughly enjoyed the fight.

p.s. As someone said, LOB needs to learn how to fight. He loses every fight. Max Domi would kick his ass!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The stat follower(Jakey/Chayka), thought it was more than that, even so, at least he is out there on the PK a bit, Biz never was.....:)
Either should LOB. :) I'm starting to think you don't know the players all that well, especially when defending Hayton. You do know his number is 29, not 92.;)

schuknowit

Feb 11, 2022
The thing is, LOB has to understand the position the team was in at the time. Winning is more important than fighting. Nine minutes left, team playing great and he takes a penalty that results in a goal. What would you be saying if we lost that game? I understand what you are saying, but let's not forget, the hit was a big one on Boyd, but it was a legal hit. If that hit would have resulted in a penalty, then by all means go after the guy swinging.

What does that have to do with it?
I'm just saying that I think the ref made a bad call to give the penalty there. So if I thought that LOB did something to deserve a penalty I'd be agreeing with you. I don't see the pulling the glove off either, I rewatched it and I am just not buying that. So I am fine with LOB's move there, especially in light of the injury to Boyd.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Either should LOB. :) I'm starting to think you don't know the players all that well, especially when defending Hayton. You do know his number is 29, not 92.;)
You must think Bear is stupid for having Hayton play 1C and LOB getting some PK time. You know I haven't annoited Bear as a great coach prior to this year as others have, but I do think he does some things for a reason, who plays 1C and who plays on the PK. Bear has plenty of other options, and I do think young players are getting better, but Bear deserves credit for our team play, he has to get some of it now, especially our team D play which has improved.

Thanks for pointing out the stat though:) I mostly just watch the game, I'm going tonight too, I'll give you a report on what I see, you can tell me the stat lines after:)

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1701587666358.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad