GDT: Game 22: Avalanche @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
First of 4 meetings between the teams this year. Colorado took 3 of 4 against the Coyotes last year, however two of the loses game in Overtime. Colorado is hot coming into tonight, riding a 4 game winning streak, but they are not hotter than Lawson Crouse and Calder favorite Michael Carcone. Crouse looks to extend his franchise record of 10 goals in a single month while Carcone looks to further himself from Bedard in the Calder race after putting up 2 goals in Tuesday nights victory of the Lightning.

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 11.40.42.png

All time, the Coyotes/Jets 1.0 hold a 61-61-12-14 against the Avalanche/Nordiques.

Probable Lineups:
Keller - Cooley - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Crouse
Carcone - Kerfoot - Zucker
Keleman - Boyd - O'Brien
Moser - Durzi
Brown - Dumba
Stecher - Kesselring
Ingram (if they start Vejmelka we should riot)

Nichushkin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tatar - Johansen - Drouin
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Cogliano - Olofesson - Kiviranta
Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Johnson - Jones
Prosvetov

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
I think Carcone is too old for the Calder.
Doesn't mean he's not 10x better than Bedard though.

I learned something today, Calder candidates must be 26 or younger on September 15 of their rookie year.

Carcone turned 27 in May.

Yeah i looked it up and he is 27 so i don't think he is eligable.
Fraudulent Calder trophy this year then. Do you guys know if he's still eligible to make an all-rookie team this year?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
Fraudulent Calder trophy this year then. Do you guys know if he's still eligible to make an all-rookie team this year?
NVM just did some quick googling and I don't believe he qualifies for an All-Rookie team as well. Darn shame.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think 25 is even too old for Calder award. A European could have played 6 or 7 years of pro hockey by that point vs a kid straight out of Jr or college. Bunting was in his 7th pro season when nominated and Panarin had played 7 seasons pro I think when he won.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think 25 is even too old for Calder award. A European could have played 6 or 7 years of pro hockey by that point vs a kid straight out of Jr or college. Bunting was in his 7th pro season when nominated and Panarin had played 7 seasons pro I think when he won.
Didn’t Kaprizov win it at like 24 years old? Borderline bogus…

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
NVM just did some quick googling and I don't believe he qualifies for an All-Rookie team as well. Darn shame.

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves on Carcone. He's had a nice run of goal scoring, but he hasn't wowed me beyond having capabilities of a serviceable third-liner. And no, I'm not going to use the HF cliche of "small sample size."

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves on Carcone. He's had a nice run of goal scoring, but he hasn't wowed me beyond having capabilities of a serviceable third-liner. And no, I'm not going to use the HF cliche of "small sample size."
I am choosing to ignore what you've said and become a Carcone believer. But I am fully aware of where you're coming from. I'm not sure how long he'll be in Arizona for but I doubt he'll have trouble finding a job after moving on. Seems like a solid 3rd liner who can chip in offensively as needed. Every team has/needs that type of player.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The thing is, players like Carcone are a dime a dozen in the NHL. Right now he's providing a big scoring boost but at an unsustainable rate over time. The big advantage of keeping him is that he's affordable and he knows the system. If we lost him tomorrow, we'd find someone else and move on with pretty much no hiccup in the machine.

That's the "harsh calculus" version. The sentimental version is this: it's nice to see a journeyman player get to the big stage and make a real impact, and I hope that this is a continuing trend for him rather than an entertaining flash in the pan. He seems like a nice guy who could use some good fortune.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Didn’t Kaprizov win it at like 24 years old? Borderline bogus…
Yeah and Red Wings fans were pissed about it because they thought Raymond or Seider should have won it because of Kaprizov's age. Well, bogus or not the age is 26. So we either change the eligibility age or deal with KHL players winning it. Panarin was also 24 when he won it over McDavid and Johnny Hockey.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The thing is, players like Carcone are a dime a dozen in the NHL. Right now he's providing a big scoring boost but at an unsustainable rate over time. The big advantage of keeping him is that he's affordable and he knows the system. If we lost him tomorrow, we'd find someone else and move on with pretty much no hiccup in the machine.

That's the "harsh calculus" version. The sentimental version is this: it's nice to see a journeyman player get to the big stage and make a real impact, and I hope that this is a continuing trend for him rather than an entertaining flash in the pan. He seems like a nice guy who could use some good fortune.
I am glad he is scoring now good for us and him too. It seems like a new winger emerges every year, garland/bunting/Maccelli/Carcone, maybe somebody else next year. Wish we have a 3 or 4 player string of Cs or Ds every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad