GDT: Game 22: Avalanche @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The auto fight after a hit might just be the dumbest code of the present NHL. Hitting is allowed and no one should be forced to fight for doing a legal act. What's the message ? Hit my teammates and you also get to beat me up???
It drives me crazy. If it’s a dirty hit, by all means jump the guy and fight him…but seeing fights after big clean hits is really annoying. The correct response is to just go lay a big hit on someone yourself…

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It drives me crazy. If it’s a dirty hit, by all means jump the guy and fight him…but seeing fights after big clean hits is really annoying. The correct response is to just go lay a big hit on someone yourself…
or just get the # and get him in game later...but I'm w/you, stop being stupid, especially since the AVs are so good on the PP and we had the game as they weren't doing anything 5on5

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A great place to start would be for Refs to give an automatic 2 and 10 for every instigator after a Clean hit. They seem to penalize it far more this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its not just winning, its beating 3 good teams in a row, and not doing it because of our great goal tending while being way out shot or winning because of their poor goal tending.

The non performing non golden boy vets will be the ones that this board will want traded, like Dumba/Kerfoot, etc...Our team D looks like it is getting better and we have had fewer turnovers, those are the best trends I am seeing in the last 3 games.
Kerfoot? Non performing? What game are you watching? Kerfoot has been playing excellent hockey. Dumba on the other hand.

PumpkinvillePuckMan

Nov 15, 2023
I agree! And O’Brien’s decision to instigate the fight probably cost Arizona some ground in the standings! Let’s be honest.

Reactions: Jakey53

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
The auto fight after a hit might just be the dumbest code of the present NHL. Hitting is allowed and no one should be forced to fight for doing a legal act. What's the message ? Hit my teammates and you also get to beat me up???
well, I suppose that is a question for OB. I already gave you my worthless opinion on the matter

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Bjudstadt is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. It's always fun when a journeyman comes to your team and fits like a glove. I hope he found his last home.

Amazing game. We have been pretty good vs Colorado ever since the "playoff" round against them. This was a huge win though. Now we gotta start doing this on the road.

Hopefully we get Hayton and McBain back by January. Weather the storm now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kerfoot? Non performing? What game are you watching? Kerfoot has been playing excellent hockey. Dumba on the other hand.
I was using those vets as an example of who might be traded, we have a slew of wingers. If we are in a playoff hunt, neither will get traded.

schuknowit

Feb 11, 2022
I understand the frustration with a guy like O’Brien he is not a great fighter and even though I think this has been his best year he is still a borderline NHL player.

I think he deserved to be cut a little slack on this play. I have watched basically every NHL fight since I started watching hockey as a kid and you don’t see a penalty on this 90% of the time. They didn’t even give him an instigator penalty just an unsportsmanlike penalty but for what? If you’re not throwing the instigator out there then I don’t think there’s any penalty. In my opinion there wasn’t an instigator anyways he got Manson’s attention and there was an acknowledgment of a fight and a square off, he didn’t go in guns blazing.

I know a lot of hockey fans get a bit sick of the “code” but this was a clear response to a borderline hit. It was not too long ago that Garland was getting his helmet thrown at him and Fischer was being rag dolled on the ice by the Avs. These guys used to completely toyed with our players physically along with always beating our ass on the scoreboard.

This to me was about establishing that we won’t be taken advantage of with these types of plays anymore. The more you let a team get away with it the more they will push it like they used to with us.

So not ideal, but our guys pulled together and got the win anyways. These things matter when building a culture to compete down the stretch and in the playoffs.

IronFinn

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
As Legend already pointed out, LOB got an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty and not an Instigator penalty. When they came back from the TV timeout and Nash and McConnell were saying that LOB got the instigator, I was surprised because I was pretty sure that Manson's glove(s) were off first. So I went back and rewatched the play a few times. Sure enough, it looks like Mansons glove(s) came off first, so why did LOB get an instigator? Upon closer inspection, it looks like LOB actually pulls Mansons glove off him and I believe that is why LOB got an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty. This is just like pulling another players helmet off during active play. Had LOB just skated up to Manson and challenged him and Manson obliged, I don't think LOB gets and extra 2. Still a dumb move by LOB, but not the true instigator penalty per NHL rules.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It’s just a situational awareness thing. COL was generating hardly anything 5v5. Their PP is lethal. You only have a split second to make the decision in the moment that’s why you already need to be aware of the potential of this situation happening before it does so you can respond appropriately…it’s much better than the Tocchet teams where no one would stick up for each other…I’d rather have what we have now with guys like LOB. Just have to be aware of the situation and be smart that’s all…

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that this is LOB's year in the sunshine. Hopefully we will move on from him next year. We do need players who stand up for the smaller ones, but jeez, LOB gets his clocked cleaned on an all to regular basis. He needs fighting lessons if he hopes to stay in the lead as a tough guy.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
avs fans suck
Only the ones that live here and refuse to assimilate, so yeah..... all who attended.

Most fan bases show up in large numbers to our team’s games, bud. If I disliked every fanbase that drowned out our home crowd, I would dislike most fanbases. Haha.

*not that you didn’t already know that, of course
Pretty much why I dislike 'em all, right there.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
In today's NHL, the correct response is to drop the gloves. I don't like it either but it is the current culture of NHL. O'Brian has to respond under the circumstances. Although we may not like it, I can guarantee you the 20 guys in the locker room do, and that's what counts. Knowing your teammate has your back goes far beyond a penalty in a game.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Helluva game last night, so glad the team has realized they need to play a tighter defensive game, our D isn't stellar, but it's never been "all on them."
Kerfoot had himself a better than normal game, not saying he's been bad in previous games.
Regarding O'Brien: Ya'll need to make up your minds if you want to be a team that gets pushed around (constant bitching over that in previous years), or a team that stands up for itself and not whine, if in doing so creates a penalty that puts you on edge, as a fan.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I understand the frustration with a guy like O’Brien he is not a great fighter and even though I think this has been his best year he is still a borderline NHL player.

I think he deserved to be cut a little slack on this play. I have watched basically every NHL fight since I started watching hockey as a kid and you don’t see a penalty on this 90% of the time. They didn’t even give him an instigator penalty just an unsportsmanlike penalty but for what? If you’re not throwing the instigator out there then I don’t think there’s any penalty. In my opinion there wasn’t an instigator anyways he got Manson’s attention and there was an acknowledgment of a fight and a square off, he didn’t go in guns blazing.

I know a lot of hockey fans get a bit sick of the “code” but this was a clear response to a borderline hit. It was not too long ago that Garland was getting his helmet thrown at him and Fischer was being rag dolled on the ice by the Avs. These guys used to completely toyed with our players physically along with always beating our ass on the scoreboard.

This to me was about establishing that we won’t be taken advantage of with these types of plays anymore. The more you let a team get away with it the more they will push it like they used to with us.

So not ideal, but our guys pulled together and got the win anyways. These things matter when building a culture to compete down the stretch and in the playoffs.
The thing is, LOB has to understand the position the team was in at the time. Winning is more important than fighting. Nine minutes left, team playing great and he takes a penalty that results in a goal. What would you be saying if we lost that game? I understand what you are saying, but let's not forget, the hit was a big one on Boyd, but it was a legal hit. If that hit would have resulted in a penalty, then by all means go after the guy swinging.

When's the last time you paid for a ticket and cheered, Mr advice?
What does that have to do with it?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What does that have to do with it?
You're berating someone who actually attended a game. Maybe you should put your money where your mouth is?
You never answer this question when pressed..... pretty obvious as to why. You've always been a proponent of attending games because it's the only way to see everything that is happening on the ice, yet you are more than happy to berate players as well, all while not attending and thus not seeing all there is to see in a players game.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have put my money where my mouth is plenty of times. Who ever buys a ticket has the same rights as the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad