Pre-Game Talk: Game 21- Washington - 'It's deja vu all over again' - NESN, NHLN, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2021-3-4_16-44-43.png

upload_2021-3-4_16-45-16.png

The Washington Capitals have ascended to the top of the East Division on the strength of a season-high four-game winning streak.

The Capitals look to continue their good fortune on Friday when they conclude their two-game set against the host Boston Bruins.

Washington improved to 9-1-0 in Boston dating back to the 2014-15 season and 5-0-1 during its current six-game point streak after posting a 2-1 shootout victory on Wednesday. The contest marked the return to Boston for veteran defenseman Zdeno Chara, who served as the Bruins captain for 14 seasons before he signed with the Capitals during the offseason.

Chara likely is proud of his team's defense, as it has yielded just seven goals during its winning streak and limited high-octane Boston to 19 shots on net on Wednesday.

"For me, it's not just (Wednesday)," Washington coach Peter Laviolette said. "I think that we've been doing the right things defensively, and I think the guys just are feeling a little bit more comfortable with what we're doing."

What makes the Capitals' performance on Wednesday all the more impressive is they surrendered eight goals on 76 shots in a two-game set against the Bruins on Jan. 30 and Feb. 1.

"We had good sticks; we were blocking shots; we were doing the little things that are going to make us successful in playoff hockey," defenseman Brenden Dillon said. "It's a good, for sure, confidence booster for us to see the improvement (against) those first few games we played against (them) too."

Boston's confidence may have taken a hit after falling for the fifth time in seven games (2-4-1).

"They compete hard; they've got a lot of guys that are physical; they're a big team," Brad Marchand said.

"And we have to play that same way to compete with all those teams and to be the best in our division. ... It was a playoff-type game, got a little more physical as the game went on. But that's what we've got to expect every night."

David Pastrnak converted a 2-on-1 rush with Marchand to open the scoring 1:19 into the third period.

Pastrnak's 10th goal of the season pulled him into a tie for the team lead with Marchand, who holds club-high totals in assists (14) and points (24).

Pastrnak (three goals, one assist) and Marchand (two goals, two assists) each have four points in three meetings with Washington this season. Boston, however, has just a 1-0-2 record to show for it.

Tuukka Rask was denied in his bid for his 300th career win despite turning aside 27 of 28 shots on Wednesday. He is 0-0-2 against the Capitals this season and 3-11-7 in 22 career appearances (20 starts) versus the club.

Washington's Lars Eller forged a tie on Wednesday by scoring 6:14 into the third period. He has three goals and two assists during his four-game point streak.

Vitek Vanecek made 18 saves on Wednesday to notch his 10th win, the most among rookie goaltenders in the NHL. He is 2-1-0 with a 2.61 goals-against average and .915 save percentage in three meetings with Boston.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I mentioned it before but

Tinordi vs Dillon
Ritchie vs Wilson
Frederic vs Hathaway

I wanna see one of those games with a bunch of fights like Dallas all those years ago
no way Wilson doesn`t fight Freddy, you`ll need the jaws of life to get the mitts off Hathaway if Freddy challenged him

Reactions: TobanWest

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
no way Wilson doesn`t fight Freddy, you`ll need the jaws of life to get the mitts off Hathaway if Freddy challenged him
What makes you think Hathaway is scared of Freddy?

I get it - I love what Freddy is bringing. He’s a pain in the ass out there. But please, can we stop talking about him like he is some intimidating force out there that makes players shake in their boots? He beat up Chris Tanev.

Reactions: Sheppy

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

I get it - I love what Freddy is bringing. He’s a pain in the ass out there. But please, can we stop talking about him like he is some intimidating force out there that makes players shake in their boots? He beat up Chris Tanev.
Did darn good job against Wilson earlier in the season

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Capitals want nothing to do with Frederic. Wilson discounts him like he is some sort of all star right now....Hathaway and Dillon will get tuned by him...Hopefully Chara remains as neutral as he was last night....Freddy pushing the issue....gives zero ***** about superstars and better be a long time Bruin, even if it's as a 4th liner. Wilson will prob go with him tomorrow, but it will only inspire Frederic to be more abrasive.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Capitals want nothing to do with Frederic. Wilson discounts him like he is some sort of all star right now....Hathaway and Dillon will get tuned by him...Hopefully Chara remains as neutral as he was last night....Freddy pushing the issue....gives zero ***** about superstars and better be a long time Bruin, even if it's as a 4th liner. Wilson will prob go with him tomorrow, but it will only inspire Frederic to be more abrasive.

For pure entertainment I would love Z to go after Frederic. I will be glorious for viewers

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
goin out on a massive limb here and say Freddy drops the mitts:)

Signed
Dr Obvious

Let me say this.The kid needs to learn to keep his head up when fighting.When he grabbed Ovie he was looking at ice.We know how that worked out vs Lemieux with uppercuts .Imagine Ovie catching him with one..Going to get hurt yet doing that.Just saying.Love the kids energy but worry about his style a bit.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Hathaway isn't a tough player.

Some of his teammates are.

I was hoping to see Rask again. Too much overthinking the workload considering the schedule they've had thus far.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Chara getting involved would be a last resort and even then he would simply pin Frederic to the ice.

Reactions: bbfan419

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

Dillon can actually fight and is bigger than T Fred. Tinordi would be the better fight for us.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
goin out on a massive limb here and say Freddy drops the mitts:)

Signed
Dr Obvious
He is trying. I don’t think the capitals want anything to do with fighting him. I’m sure the league knows he can fight. Plus he isn’t a top line player. Maybe he fights chara. Chara will most likely smash him. I’ll be surprised if anyone ever beats up old man chara.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
I mentioned it before but

Tinordi vs Dillon
Ritchie vs Wilson
Frederic vs Hathaway

I wanna see one of those games with a bunch of fights like Dallas all those years ago
why do you hate Ritchie so much? Wilson always seems to me to be one "your mom" from taking a skate off and stabbing somebody to death on live television. is Ritchie the match for that to you?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I actually think the Caps have a policy now not to fight Frederic. Wilson throwing down with him a few weeks ago was bad business for them and they've learnt from it. Laviolette has surely worked out that the Bruins take positive energy and motivation off of seeing young Freddy standing up to the Wilsons of the world and that Frederic himself is looking to increase his standing and amp himself up by becoming an agitator for the team. By ordering that his players refuse to fight him the coach takes that potential benefit away from Boston, and it's easy to do so without loss of face since you can just write Freddy off as someone who hasn't yet earned the right to a fight with the likes of Ovi. I suspect other teams will increasingly follow suit and if Frederic wants to keep dropping the gloves then he's going to need to find a way to be less obvious about it.

Having said all that, things happen in the heat of the moment in a game, when the red mist descends, so you never know what might transpire...

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
why do you hate Ritchie so much? Wilson always seems to me to be one "your mom" from taking a skate off and stabbing somebody to death on live television. is Ritchie the match for that to you?
Wilson’s a good fighter but Ritchie can certainly hold his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille