Pre-Game Talk: GAME 21 7:07 PM - Tampa Bay visits the Hub on Causeway - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-12-4_2-7-13.png

upload_2021-12-4_2-8-18.png

upload_2021-12-4_2-8-55.png

upload_2021-12-4_2-14-16.png

upload_2021-12-4_2-17-55.jpeg

Victor Hedman and the Tampa Bay Lightning hope to avoid a third loss in four games when they head north to renew their rivalry with the host Boston Bruins on Saturday night.

Hedman scored a pair of goals and added an assist to lead the Lightning in a 4-2 home win against St. Louis on Thursday. The win capped a home-and-home split for Tampa Bay, which blew a 3-0 lead before falling 4-3 in a shootout in St. Louis on Tuesday.

Steven Stamkos contributed an assist on Thursday and has recorded a point in five straight games. The Lightning captain returned to the ice after missing the team's loss at St. Louis due to the birth of his son.

"Obviously, having Stammer back sparked us a little bit," Hedman told Bally Sports Sun. "I thought we played well in St. Louis. Obviously being up 3-0 and losing is not good, but I thought we battled hard. To come back home and win this game was huge for us."

On Thursday, Ondrej Palat opened the scoring for Tampa Bay early in the first period. After Andrei Vasilevskiy (26 saves) gave up a tying power-play goal in the second, Anthony Cirelli restored the Lightning lead with a power-play strike of his own 4:26 into the third.

The Blues tied it nearly three minutes later before Hedman netted the eventual winner at 8:09 of the final period. He added his fifth goal of the season just over two minutes later to put the game out of reach.
The two-time defending champion Lightning have won four of their last seven games overall.

Vasilevskiy is 5-5-1 with a .917 save percentage and a 2.63 goals-against average in 11 prior starts versus the Bruins. Backup Brian Elliott is 5-9-3 with a .898 save percentage while allowing 2.89 goals per game in 19 games against Boston.

The Bruins return home after a quick pitstop in Nashville, where they earned a 2-0 victory on Thursday.
Jake DeBrusk pushed aside off-ice distractions to score for the fourth time this season two games after requesting a trade. Brandon Carlo added a goal while rookie netminder Jeremy Swayman recorded a career-high 42 saves in his first shutout of the season.

"I liked the way that we competed," said Bruins interim coach Joe Sacco, who is filling in while head coach Bruce Cassidy is away from the team in COVID-19 protocol. "We just battled, we battled hard tonight, and our goaltender came up with some big saves."

Boston has alternated wins and losses while winning four of its last seven games.

The already short-handed Bruins lost defenseman Jakub Zboril to a lower-body injury in the second period of Thursday's game. Sacco said Zboril would be re-evaluated upon the team's return to Boston.

Bruins alternate captain Brad Marchand will miss his third straight game on Saturday while serving a three-game suspension for slew-footing Vancouver defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson in a game last Sunday.

Swayman has never faced the Lightning, who did not play the Bruins during last season's pandemic-altered scheduling. Boston's other goalie Linus Ullmark is winless in five starts (0-5-0) with a .861 save percentage and 4.50 goals-against average lifetime versus Tampa Bay.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The last time Tampa was in the Garden. Last home game before the pandemic.

I thought watching these highlights would pump me up for the game. Instead I leave it feeling depressed. That was a President's Trophy winning team that may have won the cup if not for Covid. And that was the last real big time Bruins game, even if they lost it.

All those guys in those highlights - Chara, Kuraly, Krug, Krejci, Ritchie, Kase, all gone (not that the latter two are dearly missed). Ugh. That was 21 months ago. But it feels like a lifetime.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I thought watching these highlights would pump me up for the game. Instead I leave it feeling depressed. That was a President's Trophy winning team that may have won the cup if not for Covid. And that was the last real big time Bruins game, even if they lost it.

All those guys in those highlights - Chara, Kuraly, Krug, Krejci, Ritchie, Kase, all gone (not that the latter two are dearly missed). Ugh. That was 21 months ago. But it feels like a lifetime.

The road to the Cup in 2020 ran through Tampa no matter when the playoffs were played, and I don't see the Bruins beating them over a series even with the form they were in during most of the regular season. Maybe they push it to 6 games instead of 5, but either way that Bolts roster had us covered so I lose zero sleep over 2020 what ifs.

This game they're a little more vulnerable. No Kucherov or Point, and a squad that's not quite as good as it was last season. Boston still needs to work out Vasilevskiy though, and I can't imagine they're going to find that easy. Going to need something special from the likes of Pasta and Hall to get points here, and a strong showing from our D. Little bit of physicality and snarl wouldn't hurt either, just for once. Have to try and take it to Tampa from the first puck drop and not let up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The road to the Cup in 2020 ran through Tampa no matter when the playoffs were played, and I don't see the Bruins beating them over a series even with the form they were in during most of the regular season. Maybe they push it to 6 games instead of 5, but either way that Bolts roster had us covered so I lose zero sleep over 2020 what ifs.

This game they're a little more vulnerable. No Kucherov or Point, and a squad that's not quite as good as it was last season. Boston still needs to work out Vasilevskiy though, and I can't imagine they're going to find that easy. Going to need something special from the likes of Pasta and Hall to get points here, and a strong showing from our D. Little bit of physicality and snarl wouldn't hurt either, just for once. Have to try and take it to Tampa from the first puck drop and not let up.

History is not going to be fair to the Lightning as many historians will look at the wins in 2020 and 2021 as Covid Cups.

The B's have been radio silent since returning from Nashville.

I have no clue what to expect tonight.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
History is not going to be fair to the Lightning as many historians will look at the wins in 2020 and 2021 as Covid Cups.

The B's have been radio silent since returning from Nashville.

I have no clue what to expect tonight.

Feel like the team's taken a little opportunity to close ranks and have some honest hard talk amongst themselves about where they're at and what they want to be and do going forwards. Would not be surprised at all to see the team play with a little more fire and purpose here. Bergy had that look in his eyes in Nashville and I'd wager he had a bit to say.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It will be tough but I have hope. They can play physical and I would love to see them come out with attitude after what happened to Bergy vs Nashville. A 4-point game, so let's get the win boys.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Wait what?

the road to my the Cup ran through Tampa ?

The Bruins were 10 points up on them and their team was a M.A.S.H. Unit

no pandemic they play first month minimum without Stamkos & Hedman and McDonagh was out and said would never have been questionable

they never get by Toronto

I had said in 2015 Bruins win Cup in 2020 so I was paying attention

the last game I went to before pandemic was like March 7 vs Tampa

I remember sitting downstairs after game at Garden with a table full of people including people who are on this board discussing Tampa is so beat up and soft they are dead

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wait what?

the road to my the Cup ran through Tampa ?

The Bruins were 10 points up on them and their team was a M.A.S.H. Unit

no pandemic they play first month minimum without Stamkos & Hedman and McDonagh was out and said would never have been questionable

they never get by Toronto

I had said in 2015 Bruins win Cup in 2020 so I was paying attention

the last game I went to before pandemic was like March 7 vs Tampa

I remember sitting downstairs after game at Garden with a table full of people including people who are on this board discussing Tampa is so beat up and soft they are dead

Tampa won that game, with no Stamkos and despite Hedman getting injured early leaving them a D short for a long time. I know it was a weird one with the Bs conceding 2 shorties in the space of a minute, but if that's a 'dead' team then I'm not seeing evidence of it from that game.

That roster was super strong and good enough to carry injured players and they proved it by going back to back. I thoroughly dislike the Bolts but the Covid Cups stuff is just utter BS to make fans of other teams feel better. Obviously if the playoffs happen as normal in 2020 then you can never really know what would have happened. But I'm completely comfortable in my belief that Tampa was the best team in the east that season - the Presidents' Trophy is meaningless - so while I'm not saying the Bruins couldn't have gone all the way, I simply don't see that they had some golden chance taken away from them. And they still had their opportunity to get the job done in the bubble and they blew it. Tough.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa won that game, with no Stamkos and despite Hedman getting injured early leaving them a D short for a long time. I know it was a weird one with the Bs conceding 2 shorties in the space of a minute, but if that's a 'dead' team then I'm not seeing evidence of it from that game.

That roster was super strong and good enough to carry injured players and they proved it by going back to back. I thoroughly dislike the Bolts but the Covid Cups stuff is just utter BS to make fans of other teams feel better. Obviously if the playoffs happen as normal in 2020 then you can never really know what would have happened. But I'm completely comfortable in my belief that Tampa was the best team in the east that season - the Presidents' Trophy is meaningless - so while I'm not saying the Bruins couldn't have gone all the way, I simply don't see that they had some golden chance taken away from them. And they still had their opportunity to get the job done in the bubble and they blew it. Tough.
I was at that game sitting row 2 lined up behind Rask’s right post. It was a phenomenal game and the Bruins beat the living shit out of Tampa. It was the last game I went to until Washington last spring and I been going since 1966 and thanks to mom and dad pretty much of every game I’ve been to 1500-2000 has beeb row 1 old garden loge 7 corner clock or my current seats behind net.

You can think what you want but you got a better chance we live in Uranis

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I was at that game sitting row 2 lined up behind Rask’s right post. It was a phenomenal game and the Bruins beat the living shit out of Tampa. It was the last game I went to until Washington last spring and I been going since 1966 and thanks to mom and dad pretty much of every game I’ve been to 1500-2000 has beeb row 1 old garden loge 7 corner clock or my current seats behind net.

You can think what you want but you got a better chance we live in Uranis

Thank-you, I believe I shall.

Back on topic, if Ullmark does indeed start in this one then now would be a really good time for him to bring his best stuff. The Bruins just cannot afford any soft goals in this game and it would be great for Linus to have a really solid showing, almost a statement kind of game, that he can build on going forwards. Swayman must be feeling pretty good after his big shutout, and his fellow goalie could use a little of that confidence and calmness.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Always wonder what would have happened that year if no stoppage. Boston was dominant but Tampa was catching fire.
Um
1. Tampa lost Hedman for what would be extended period in that game

2. the game was phenomenal and I was tired as shit from work and almost told my daughter to take one of your friends. Walking downstairs to Legends after I said to her I am glad I went this was one of best games I’ve ever seen they lost.

The Bruins slammed them all over the place and reminded me of Torts Columbus 2019 games 1 and 2 of playoffs

Columbus was legit tough and physical the Blues are cheap p***yes who hit high like their mentor assistant coach Steve Ott.

3. Tampa next game went to Toronto and lost

4. the Bruins went to Philadelphia and beat a red hot Flyers who I believe won 9 in a row - the Bruins played without Carlo & Krug I think as well

McDonagh also got hurt against Leafs and said later the time off he was able to get healthy

the idea it went thru Tampa is garbage

Reactions: 13Hockey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank-you, I believe I shall.

Back on topic, if Ullmark does indeed start in this one then now would be a really good time for him to bring his best stuff. The Bruins just cannot afford any soft goals in this game and it would be great for Linus to have a really solid showing, almost a statement kind of game, that he can build on going forwards. Swayman must be feeling pretty good after his big shutout, and his fellow goalie could use a little of that confidence and calmness.
Ullmark will be fine and once Rask gets back and he drops to second banana he will be good

Swayman will be a franchise goalie and wouldn’t surprise me with Mac Jones and Marcelo Mayer own Boston in 5 years

the plan is he spends February in Providence where they play 10 games and the NHL shuts down for Olympics & All Star

March 1 will be fascinating who knows what will be happening with team

Ullmark Is very good he was my number 1argent going into FA but I didn’t have the luxury knowing when they opened up Rask it would not be bad

Some here and on Twitter and radio want Swayman & Vladar till Rask but Bruins could not send Vladar down - he never would have cleared

Swayman always had to be the guy goinh down

Swayman phenomenal- love him like a nee puppy or kitten but he could iron out a few areas - rebound control, when to freeze puck and even positioning

the Flyers loss and Rangers were games a more experienced Swayman wins

Reactions: smack66

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ok, I’m actually excited and invested in this game.

Feels like a pretty good measuring stick albeit without Marchy.

Still, you a want to make a statement that you still belong in the discussion with regards to the division? Fine a way.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What Bruins gave season ticket holders when they sucked lol

Attachments

• 1B661D10-369C-4ACE-8C76-4F91BE5CED51.jpeg
    1B661D10-369C-4ACE-8C76-4F91BE5CED51.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad