GDT: Game 20: Blackhawks at Golden Knights 8pm Albuquerque time. (More effort edition)

What position should Cody Glass be playing?

• Total voters

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
So we have won one game since I came back from a work trip in Europe. Maybe I need to start a GoFundMe.

We’re actually really good if we pretend the 2nd period, 3rd period and OT doesn’t exist.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I can't fathom how fitness could ever be a thing for a professional sports team.

That's all you get paid to do, and you get paid so much you shouldn't have money worries.

Family, and being in shape playing hockey. That's all you have to do.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I can't fathom how fitness could ever be a thing for a professional sports team.

That's all you get paid to do, and you get paid so much you shouldn't have money worries.

Family, and being in shape playing hockey. That's all you have to do.

Maybe these guys are spending too much time at the clubs :laugh:

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Maybe these guys are spending too much time at the clubs :laugh:

Or at the bars. Or gambling like a certain Sharks player.

Our home record really sucks. 4 wins and 6 losses (4-4-2). Every other team in the division has won at least half of their home games. Even San Jose is 6-4-0. The worst teams in the West, LA (4-4-0) and Minnesota (3-1-1) have won a higher percentage of games at home.

The only team in the West that hasn’t won at least 50% of the time at home is Winnipeg at 5-5-1.

So we have the worst winning percentage at home in the conference.

3 teams in the East are worse at home, and we just lost to one of them (Detroit).

What excuses does this team have? There are no significant injuries. The schedule hasn’t been tough. The team had a much longer summer break this time. And the players were almost all together a year ago so it’s not like they have to get used to a new coach or new teammates.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
^Another sad fact is one of our home wins is a shootout win against an Ottawa team that is 1-6-1 on the road. Coming into this game the Blackhawks were 1-4–2 on the road.

Should Stastny even be on the 2nd line? Isn’t Glass better than him?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Should Stastny even be on the 2nd line? Isn’t Glass better than him?
Nope, and the second line has played much better with Stastny than Glass. Our forward depth is pretty redundant at this point, though.

I'd however reiterate that the only 2 players in the top-9 worth keeping together are Karlsson, & Smith.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nope, and the second line has played much better with Stastny than Glass. Our forward depth is pretty redundant at this point, though.

I'd however reiterate that the only 2 players in the top-9 worth keeping together are Karlsson, & Smith.

Stastny on the second line with Pacioretty and Stone have been pretty bad 5v5 for like fifteen games, not scoring and giving up goals, turning pucks over, certainly haven't played much better and Glass with them for four games did not look worse and is too small a sample to hold for (first two games) or against (last two games.)

But Karlsson is a legit 1C and Smith has been magic with him.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Stastny on the second line with Pacioretty and Stone have been pretty bad 5v5 for like fifteen games, not scoring and giving up goals, turning pucks over, certainly haven't played much better and Glass with them for four games did not look worse and is too small a sample to hold for (first two games) or against (last two games.)

But Karlsson is a legit 1C and Smith has been magic with him.
Stas, Patches, Stone has generated way more chances compared to chances against than with Glass, however they've not been scoring, and have been giving up goals the last ~5 games(still have a positive GD, though, as before the ~5 games they were money). I'd add while the last ~5 games of them together have been bad in a goal-scoring, goal-allowing way, Stastny is as big of a factor for that as Stone. Really only Patches have played up to par during this stretch.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stas, Patches, Stone has generated way more chances compared to chances against than with Glass, however they've not been scoring, and have been giving up goals the last ~5 games(still have a positive GD, though, as before the ~5 games they were money). I'd add while the last ~5 games of them together have been bad in a goal-scoring, goal-allowing way, Stastny is as big of a factor for that as Stone. Really only Patches have played up to par during this stretch.

I agree the last seven games have not been good from Stone, either. He hasn't been his usual self with careless giveaways and he hasn't been generating the takeaways he was.

I'm glad they mixed the lines up today. I don't know if the intent was to put our three players in the best form (Karlsson, Smith, Pacioretty) together but I worry they would give up on it after one game.

I wouldn't even mind bumping Eakin to the fourth line and having Carrier or Roy play wing in one of the lines.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They could finish with Glass and his RH passes to Pacioretty. I also think them not playing even strength together might have effected how they play on the PP together. You also can't write off a rookie that's gained 20 games of experience. Glass continues to improve, that's just a given with a talented rookie.

If they struggle, play Stastny and Tuch more, but keep 67-9-61 together and let them build a real good line again.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I agree the last seven games have not been good from Stone, either. He hasn't been his usual self with careless giveaways and he hasn't been generating the takeaways he was.

I'm glad they mixed the lines up today. I don't know if the intent was to put our three players in the best form (Karlsson, Smith, Pacioretty) together but I worry they would give up on it after one game.

I wouldn't even mind bumping Eakin to the fourth line and having Carrier or Roy play wing in one of the lines.
Yeah, I'm all for mixing up lines when things aren't working, but with Turk it feels like they'll last 1 game and then back to default lol. And Eakin getting scratched could be the kick he needs to get going again. Worked with Lindberg last season.

They could finish with Glass and his RH passes to Pacioretty. I also think them not playing even strength together might have effected how they play on the PP together. You also can't write off a rookie that's gained 20 games of experience. Glass continues to improve, that's just a given with a talented rookie.

If they struggle, play Stastny and Tuch more, but keep 67-9-61 together and let them build a real good line again.
Hey, I'm all for trying Glass at 2C again, I just don't think Glass has showcased that he is in fact better than Stas as of yet.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Bottom line, this team's just not hungry, plus their blueline is abhorrent. They all got paid & now you see tiny flashes of effort for one period at a time

It reminds me so much of Rangers in that stretch from the late 90s until the lockout. They kept bringing in high priced free agents hoping to put a band aid on their lack of player development. Everyone was depending on someone else to the dirty work in the corners & along the boards. The Defense was Brian Leetch & nothing else. Complete recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Or at the bars. Or gambling like a certain Sharks player.

Our home record really sucks. 4 wins and 6 losses (4-4-2). Every other team in the division has won at least half of their home games. Even San Jose is 6-4-0. The worst teams in the West, LA (4-4-0) and Minnesota (3-1-1) have won a higher percentage of games at home.

The only team in the West that hasn’t won at least 50% of the time at home is Winnipeg at 5-5-1.

So we have the worst winning percentage at home in the conference.

3 teams in the East are worse at home, and we just lost to one of them (Detroit).

What excuses does this team have? There are no significant injuries. The schedule hasn’t been tough. The team had a much longer summer break this time. And the players were almost all together a year ago so it’s not like they have to get used to a new coach or new teammates.

We caught the Vegas Flu? :puppy:

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
VGK record prior to Zykov suspension 4-3-0. After suspension 5-5-3. Think I've got those numbers about right.

Not saying we miss Zeke, but maybe we're missing something else? ;) Late game collapses, no compete in OT, folks here noticing poor conditioning, out of shape players, etc.

Just busting out my tinfoil hat for a minute. :laugh:

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
VGK record prior to Zykov suspension 4-3-0. After suspension 5-5-3. Think I've got those numbers about right.

Not saying we miss Zeke, but maybe we're missing something else? ;) Late game collapses, no compete in OT, folks here noticing poor conditioning, out of shape players, etc.

#PourOneOutForPEDs

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

Actually I wondered about this myself. At least we know he didn’t take it for granted that he was getting some playing time. Teams need guys like that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Nah they've been pretty consistent in their inconsistency for most of the season.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Sadly the team has gotten worse. 4 losses in a row and 6 of the last 7. That’s why we’re seeing the drop in the standings. :(

But that has more to do with guys like Stastny and Stone struggling to produce.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So many former VGK are having good seasons. Maybe we had some magic and traded it for the more traditional team setup.

Or at least for trying to build a championship from the wings, which rarely ever works. Especially when your defense could be described as not even playoff caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad