Post-Game Talk: Game 2: USA Caps vs. Canada Syrup Foliage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ovechkin scored a goal, was instrumental in getting the GTG where they dominated the leafs, saved a certain goal against. Meanwhile we can't even get a gdt to the main boards over the last 10 years because we're too lazy to do anything other than plop an ironic gif down (le minimalist maymay amirite). I'm sure caps players are thrilled and super pumped when they check hfboards on their phones during the intermission and see a laffs gdt up during OUR HOME GAME. But sure Ovechkin is the problem.

He really should ask for a trade or retire and go enjoy life in Russia, no one deserves to put up with this ****.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Did some of you think we were gonna go 16-0 playing A+ hockey every game? Yes we're not playing great but it's one loss. It's not time to hit the panic button... yet

I don't need them to win every game. I just want them to skate every shift like its there last while in the playoffs. It should not be hard to do. This core has been doing this for 10 years now.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
WTF is this honestly.

Let's flash back to the earlier game in April vs the Leafs.

4-1 Caps

Complete and Utter Domination. Where the **** is that team? Why everytime the playoff happens it is low scoring, 1000000000 "close calls" but no crucial goals???

Why Ovechkin don't finish that breakaway. Or Connely get that empty net? Or Kuznetsov finish that breakaway?

Brand new season and all that stuff don't count now. Caps had their chances and didn't bury them.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean this is a WC2 team that backed into the playoffs vs. the president trophy winner who's been a juggernaut almost all season.

It's not so much that they lost but that they're neck and neck as the league-wide 1 seed with a 8 seed. They've also have history of failure so this "just calm down, it'll be fine" is fairly ridiculous.

I look at it this way: we all knew the Caps struggle with speedy teams. This is their chance to figure it out before they have to play Pitt. So far they've struggle at times and been dominant in spurts. Win two on the road. Get the groove back.

Go Caps! :yo:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
NOTE: This was a sarcastic post in reference to the over-reaction on the boards to the loss. I'm saddened I have to make this clear. Thanks.

pu0wm.jpg

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Ovechkin scored a goal, was instrumental in getting the GTG where they dominated the leafs, saved a certain goal against. Meanwhile we can't even get a gdt to the main boards over the last 10 years because we're too lazy to do anything other than plop an ironic gif down (le minimalist maymay amirite). I'm sure caps players are thrilled and super pumped when they check hfboards on their phones during the intermission and see a laffs gdt up during OUR HOME GAME. But sure Ovechkin is the problem.

He really should ask for a trade or retire and go enjoy life in Russia, no one deserves to put up with this ****.

Bro did u really just blame it on our GDTs

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Sucks we are coin flip team, but the good news is, if we can advance to round 2, there's a good chance the games against Pitt are just as tight. And maybe this is the year, the final flip lands our way.

For the last two years on HFBoards, I have been 100% correctly predicting which teams Can Not Win The Cup. When a team can't get the job done, in a given round in a reasonable amount of time, they are proving that they likely don't have the character that it takes to win it all, and they are acquiring excess fatigue. In a league with so much parity, teams just don't have enough of a talent advantage to make up for character weaknesses. In a league with so much parity, fatigue is a difference maker. By not sweeping the Leafs, the Caps are digging themselves a hole here so deep, that they may not be able to climb out of it.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

Is this RL?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
WTF is this honestly.

4-1 Caps

Complete and Utter Domination. Where the **** is that team? Why everytime the playoff happens it is low scoring, 1000000000 "close calls" but no crucial goals???

Why Ovechkin don't finish that breakaway. Or Connely get that empty net? Or Kuznetsov finish that breakaway?

Caps were playing a team that was coming off a back to back starting their backup goalie. Thats obviously a different situation then a team playing infront of a goalie who is playing very well. Don't know why you're blaming the breakaways, Ovechkin had a stick in his arm near the end and Andersen was following him the whole way, Connolly was sideways on teh ground, and Kuznetsov had barely any breathing room.

I just think its a series thats going so quick you can't afford ot make any mistakes which becomes increasingly tougher with how quick everyone is. Carlson doesnt lose his stick, thats not a goal.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I swear what disappoints me most is coming here after the game and seeing that 95% of Caps fans are total haters. OT losses are soul-crushing. I get it. But you guys sound ready to pack it in.

Look at these GDT's. Every moment the Caps aren't absolutely dominating you guys are talking ****.

"You don't understand! They ALWAYS do this! For decades now! The coach is horrible! They don't deserve to win!"

Yeah, and YOU always do THIS. It's just as old and predictable and tiresome.

Buck up. Be positive. We're a good road team, we're still better than they are, and watching playoff hockey is thrilling and fun as hell. If you need something positive to take away from this game...

...this will never not be funny.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
WTF is this honestly.

4-1 Caps

Terrible base to use. Leafs were playing their 3rd game In 4 nights that game.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
I swear what disappoints me most is coming here after the game and seeing that 95% of Caps fans are total haters. OT losses are soul-crushing. I get it. But you guys sound ready to pack it in.

Look at these GDT's. Every moment the Caps aren't absolutely dominating you guys are talking ****.

"You don't understand! They ALWAYS do this! For decades now! The coach is horrible! They don't deserve to win!"

Buck up. Be positive. We're a good road team, we're still better than they are, and watching playoff hockey is thrilling and fun as hell. If you need something positive to take away from this game...

Couldn't have said it better myself

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
For the last two years on HFBoards, I have been 100% correctly predicting which teams Can Not Win The Cup. When a team can't get the job done, in a given round in a reasonable amount of time, they are proving that they likely don't have the character that it takes to win it all, and they are acquiring excess fatigue. In a league with so much parity, teams just don't have enough of a talent advantage to make up for character weaknesses. In a league with so much parity, fatigue is a difference maker. By not sweeping the Leafs, the Caps are digging themselves a hole here so deep, that they may not be able to climb out of it.

Disagree.

Plenty of teams have survived drawn-out, dogfight rounds, either early or late, and gone on to win Cup.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

With respect how can you be positive when the Caps have no playoff pedigree? Those that have been here a while see the same crap, they may very well win this series, but when it comes to anything more it looks bleak.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I woukdnt go that far. I mean, we had a MILLION chances in first OT.

Both games have been very even. 1-1 series deadlock feels about right

But the real questions are these: Should both games have been very even? Should a 1-1 series deadlock feel about right? Didn't Washington win the President's Trophy this year? Weren't the Caps considered to be the favourites to win the Stanley Cup?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Trotz certainly talks about things he wants to improve on. Never doubted he wants to, say, play better 5 on 5. Problem is that somewhere between planning strategies to succeed and demanding accountability something is missing. That's what playoff coaching is about. Regular season is a different animal, not that much specific game planning for one team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Polak is reportedly done for the year. Not that it matters apparently.

Every year it's just feast on what comes easy and be fancy in the regular season to hype it all up until that no longer works and they ****ing starve from lack of resourcefulness, tenacity and ingenuity. Natural selection, baby. It's beautiful and at least in theory something they probably should have picked up on by now.

It's the Caps...it's the playoffs...of course there's pointless drama. Of course they're bound to fail. It's not worth getting wrapped up over. This is just what they do.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Disagree.

Plenty of teams have survived drawn-out, dogfight rounds, either early or late, and gone on to win Cup.

That's not what I'm saying. Obviously when two teams are equal in ability, the end result will be a "drawn-out, dogfight round." This issue here is that these two teams are not equal in ability. The Capitals are far greater than > the Leafs, yet you wouldn't know it after two games. The Caps, should they get past the Leafs, will have plenty of opportunity for "drawn-out, dogfight rounds" against other opponents, such as the Pittsburgh Penguins. They need to get the rest now, so they are ready when they face the top teams in the East.

Consider the rest advantage the Blues will have if they continue to dominate Minnesota, a team who should be performing much better. Last year I correctly predicted that the Blues could not win the Cup, because they had far too much difficulty eliminating Dallas, and Chicago as well. This year the Blues mean business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad