Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
get some

tumblr_nn6da1Va8W1utoud7o1_r2_500.gif

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
They need some confidence boost before heading to Toronto

Despite last game, Caps are far better team in every posssible hockey aspect.

I don't care what people say about this Toronto team, they are only little obstacle on our way to the finals.

And If poeple are scared anyway, idk what to say.

Win game, win next two and focus on next rounds

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think this is it, we may have finally done it. This thread just may have what it takes to be used as the Main board GDT. Good work OP.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I expect a workmanlike effort tonight with more structure, fewer turnovers, cleaner breakouts, and less back and forth. They need to live in the Leafs third of the ice. Hoping for a statement to the Baby Leafs as to which team is a Stanley Cup contender and which team is a nice story but still a few years away from legitimate contender status.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
At Kettler right now to watch the optional morning skate, come say hi if you want. I'm the guy with a Kuznetsov t-shirt and a computer on his lap.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't want to see a macho hit-fest from the Caps tonight. Hit when it's strategic to do so, but don't take yourself out of the play.

When facing a fast team the slower player will have a harder time getting back into the play and may be more useful staying at speed and available to cover someone who's breaking free elsewhere.

Last game the Caps had over 50 hits. During the regular season they were 15th in the league in the stat with 21 per game, so they were hitting way more than usual (as were the Leafs). Teams often hit more in the playoffs but that's a huge jump. The only teams in the playoffs with more hits have now played two games instead of one.

I think they were trying to "set the tone" and intimidate the Leafs but did it work?

The biggest difference was among the defenders. Our defensemen had almost 2 dozen hits which was twice what the Toronto defense put up. Why? Were our guys really catching the puckhandler in the neutral zone or on zone entries? Where did all these hits come from? Were there more early or late?

3 out of 5 goals scored were around the net, and 4 out of 5 were from the slot. From the 3rd period on, both teams were getting many of their shots from these high danger areas. In the 1st period the Leafs had the advantage while the Caps shot from the perimeter. The reverse was true in the 2nd period.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Carlson, Alzner and Orpik need to watched under a magnifying glass. If any these guys look like they are going to be a liability, the Schmidt move has to be made.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think they were trying to "set the tone" and intimidate the Leafs but did it work?

I thought the Caps got a noticeable lift out of the Niskanen hit on Brown. Other than that I didn't see a lot of difference-making hits, and was surprised to see they had so many at the end of the game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I thought the Caps got a noticeable lift out of the Niskanen hit on Brown. Other than that I didn't see a lot of difference-making hits, and was surprised to see they had so many at the end of the game.

We had about 50 Brouwer type hits. They register on the counter as hits but we merely bumped into the Leafs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We had about 50 Brouwer type hits. They register on the counter as hits but we merely bumped into the Leafs.

That's got to be it. I don't recall it being a rock 'em sock 'em game other than a few spots (like the early minutes)

they credited Martin with 10 hits

Kuzy had 4 hits while Ovie had 3. Wilson led forwards with 5, and Niskanen nearly doubled up the next Caps d-man with 7.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Barry Ovie Backy play and coach the way u did in the regular season. You are the best team in hockey...act like it.

NBC's prime time day game is Bruins vs Senators...what a joke.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not good overall. Alzner has probably been banged up for a while. Chorney moves up a slot.

Jun 15, 2007
Skate issue according to IK.

So...he just sucks. No injury.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm expecting something similar as last game. They will come in with "business as usual" attitude, and Toronto comes out pumped. We get scored on, and then we will start playing a little better.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I think the boys will play with much more confidence than they did in the first game. It had to have shaken them up, being down 2 so early.

I don't believe any if them will be reckless with hits. Wilson getting that goal was the best thing to happen for him. It should help him focus on plays rather than retaliation or getting goaded into dumb choices.

I hope the first line does great things tonight. Go Caps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad