GDT: Game 2: Phoenix Coyotes @ San Jose Sharks | 10-5-13 | 7:30 PM Arizona Time

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fellas, I had to sleep on this one before I commented...and yep, 6hrs didn't improve my thoughts at all.

I can't remember the last time we looked so dominated out there. It was pathetic.

GMDM has got to go get more offense. Korpi is a lost cause, he's pretty good defensively, but he is completely out of his element playing on a scoring line. Throw him back on the 3rd line with Vermette and Moss.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if they're playing Rundblad to showcase him? His defensive game, while much improved, still makes me cringe.

I'm all for putting together an attractive package for a re-signed Vanek.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
A re-signed Vanek does not exist. He's going to free agency. I'd be happy to trade for him as a rental, since Domi will be here next year. I still think we need more games to evaluate our lineup.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if they're playing Rundblad to showcase him? His defensive game, while much improved, still makes me cringe.

I think you are correct that Rundblad is/or will be shopped (I still maintain he's a redundant asset with Yandle firmly entrenched on this squad). That being said it's hard to express just how far his game has come since he was acquired. He hasn't embarrassed himself at all. I said last year that he needed until xmas at the AHL before he would be ready. He's proving me wrong.

As for last night. We didn't show up. We were outworked and outskilled. Some positives and some negatives.

Negatives. I think OEL may have had his worst game as a Coyote (despite the goal). Just didn't see the all-star that we all know he is last night. He can and will play much much better.

Korpi. Someone already called him out on the second line. I think we need to consider moving Vermette over to LW. We may need to deal for a 3rd/4th line C who can kill penalties and win faceoffs (preferably with size).

philosophy - the team needs to understand that they are no longer a small team that should be afraid of their shadow. the team has built itself from the draft and incorporated Chris Brown and Lucas Lessio into the squad. We need to not be afraid to instigate physical contact anymore. Shane Doan isn't the only forward with a green light to hit someone. We have the size and speed to intimidate as well. The Sharks are a team to emulate and respect.

Positives - I think the fears that Smith isn't legit are overblown. He's got a legitimate shot at making the Canadian Olympic team.

Rundblad - talked about it at the start. He's taking a huge step in his development and ahead of where I thought he would be.

Overall - We are going to win games we deserve to lose. We are going to lose games we deserve to win. this was a game we deserved to lose and we lost. We can and will be better. It's an 82 game season.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Vanek owns a home in Minneapolis, wife is from there, played for the Gophers and will be signing there next year to play with his buddy Pominville. The wild will use Heatleys money to pay him!:cry:

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
The top line of Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan is very concerning at the moment. Not only have they not been able to get on the board, they aren't even generating chances

Ribeiro looks out of sorts - I've said this before and I'll say it again. For whatever reason that I can't even fathom, Doan has a veritable knack for struggling with whatever centerman we place him with, whether it be Briere, Roenick, Jokinen, Ribeiro, etc, etc.

We can't be paying Ribeiro the money we are over the term we signed him only to cripple him, clip his wings - use whatever analogy you will - by playing him alongside an aging, striggling Doan.

This experiment must end - no one is gaining from it. It's even stifling Boedker's game, I believe. Doan should not be on the first PP, Vrbata should be there. Doan should not be playing 20min a game with our top center.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
For whatever reason that I can't even fathom, Doan has a veritable knack for struggling with whatever centerman we place him with, whether it be Briere, Roenick, Jokinen, Ribeiro, etc, etc.

He looked pretty good with Chipchura last season. I think that's who he got most of his points with.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
No one mentioned Z Michalek and he is complete disaster. Bad decisions, turnovers, bad zone coverage. Just trade him for bag of pucks...

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
He looked pretty good with Chipchura last season. I think that's who he got most of his points with.

I have absolutely no problem with Doan playing with Chipchura. I would even be willing to try Klinkhammer with Ribeiro instead of just burying him on the 4th line and assuming he'll never be anything more than a 4th liner.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
The top line of Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan is very concerning at the moment. Not only have they not been able to get on the board, they aren't even generating chances

Ribeiro looks out of sorts - I've said this before and I'll say it again. For whatever reason that I can't even fathom, Doan has a veritable knack for struggling with whatever centerman we place him with, whether it be Briere, Roenick, Jokinen, Ribeiro, etc, etc.

We can't be paying Ribeiro the money we are over the term we signed him only to cripple him, clip his wings - use whatever analogy you will - by playing him alongside an aging, striggling Doan.

This experiment must end - no one is gaining from it. It's even stifling Boedker's game, I believe. Doan should not be on the first PP, Vrbata should be there. Doan should not be playing 20min a game with our top center.

Ribby is not built for this system! He is strictly an offensive player, might I add with great skill! However, in Tips system, he needs to play in the d-zone as well. MOD I feel for the guy, a lot of pressure to be the #1 C and so far the results in two games are inconclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ribby is not built for this system! He is strictly an offensive player, might I add with great skill! However, in Tips system, he needs to play in the d-zone as well. MOD I feel for the guy, a lot of pressure to be the #1 C and so far the results in two games are inconclusive.

Yeah, again, you're totally ignoring the fact that Ribeiro was a 0.92 PPG player under Tippett in Dallas over 3 seasons. Tippett's system really has not changed at all since then. The only difference is personnel, and I'd argue that our defense is quite a bit better offensively than what Ribeiro had in Dallas - it's just that our forwards are more suspect other than Vrbata. Ribeiro hasn't shown up on the score sheet, but he certainly looks alright out there, and his skill is evident. He just needs someone to put the puck in the damn net.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Yeah, again, you're totally ignoring the fact that Ribeiro was a 0.92 PPG player under Tippett in Dallas over 3 seasons. Tippett's system really has not changed at all since then. The only difference is personnel, and I'd argue that our defense is quite a bit better offensively than what Ribeiro had in Dallas - it's just that our forwards are more suspect other than Vrbata. Ribeiro hasn't shown up on the score sheet, but he certainly looks alright out there, and his skill is evident. He just needs someone to put the puck in the damn net.

And what off the rink issues? That is just pure, totally baseless speculation on your part. Phoenix isn't Montreal.
Ah, i would say the offense in Dallas, during Tips tenure with Ribby, was superior to what PHX has today! Far more scoring and balance. Go check it out!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ah, i would say the offense in Dallas, during Tips tenure with Ribby, was superior to what PHX has today! Far more scoring and balance. Go check it out!

Ribs mostly played with an aging Lehtinen/Modano and Brendan Morrow as his wingers. Morrow had a career year 32 goals/74 points with Dallas playing on Ribs wing - numbers he hasn't come close to replicating since. You can't seriously tell me those wingers are better than what we have now.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Personally, I think Boedker is a third line guy, Doan is now 2nd or 3rd line guy, and Korpi is 4th line. We have to move on from what Doan once was and what potential Boedker and Korpi have. How long do you wait?

Though two small players together may be an issue, I would try Miele with Ribeiro and Lessio. Doan with Hanzal and Vrbata, Boedker with Vermette and Moss, Korpi with Chipchura and Klinkhammer. Brown as our reserve. And start to search for a true number 1, bigger body, to take Miele's spot.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A re-signed Vanek does not exist. He's going to free agency. I'd be happy to trade for him as a rental, since Domi will be here next year. I still think we need more games to evaluate our lineup.

No rentals! Either we trade for someone to stay long term or we draft for the help we need.

I'm open to try and get Brad Richards if the Rangers are willing to eat salary and Brad wants to be here of course.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
For the second game. I would have to say not one Coyote player showed up in the first period. The end of the second and the last period was better.

In the first period it looked like the coyotes were trying to do fancy plays that look nice and may seem like a slick move but really just isn't. Looked like everyone wanted to pass and no one wanted to shoot.

The second and third period looked better but I didn't like the juggling of the lines. However, I can understand because if what you are doing isn't working try something else.

Smith was great in the net and I can not believe he faced 51 shots! Hanzal had some great hits and DMO got injured in the second. I think the problem was that only a few individuals showed up ready to play and not a whole team.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In the first..no

The only goal Smitty gave up that he probably should've stopped was that backhand Hertl slipped through his five-hole. But even then that goal was still was a result of Hertl splitting OEL and Morris - the partial breakaway shouldn't have happened. The other two PP goals in that period I'll give Smith a pass on - he didn't really have a chance on either of them.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The only goal Smitty gave up that he probably should've stopped was that backhand Hertl slipped through his five-hole. But even then that goal was still was a result of Hertl splitting OEL and Morris - the partial breakaway shouldn't have happened. The other two PP goals in that period I'll give Smith a pass on - he didn't really have a chance on either of them.

Its just my opinion. Because he faced the about same amount of shots in the 2nd and 3rd with no goals. He still did a great job but I don't think he was 100% in the game until the second.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
His grandmother just died and he couldn't attend the funeral on Friday, so I'll give him a pass on everything. Played ridiculously well considering the circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad