GDT: Game 2: Phoenix Coyotes @ San Jose Sharks | 10-5-13 | 7:30 PM Arizona Time

Feb 12, 2003
Has anyone else thought of Ribs centering Vrbata and Hanzal? I know it's a bit much to put all of your eggs in one basket, but sometimes it works. It also hurts to deplete our center depth with such a move, but if that gives us a legit 1st line and then we get Boeds - Vermette - Doan on the 2nd line it may not be the worst idea. I'd be curious to try it out at a very minimum because Hanzal and Vrbata do have great chemistry together and really need a playmaker.

Hanzal - Ribiero - Vrbata
Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Lessio - Korpikoski?? - Moss
Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Brown

It's not ideal, but it's clear that they are missing some key pieces. I agree with WJF, Doan should not be on the top line, and while this is not a dramatic difference it may help. Otherwise we start playing Doan up and down the lineup and figure out where he contributes the most. In my opinion Doan has never been a top 90 forward in the league which is what I judge to be legit 1st liners. We're a team full of 2nd and 3rd liners but that can work if you can find the right balance. Tippet is the type to ride his best players and I don't see him spreading out the ice time through the top 3 lines, or at least the 2nd and 3rd lines which have very little difference in quality/depth.

All that said, I think Bob McKenzie made a great point on Twitter this weekend. I am paraphrasing, but he basically said that the first 2 weeks of the season don't mean nearly as much as what you start to see after 3-4 weeks into the season. Just as high as we were after the win at home against the Rangers we are equally low after the loss on the road to the Sharks. Lets find a balance in a couple of weeks and see what this team really is then.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone else thought of Ribs centering Vrbata and Hanzal? I know it's a bit much to put all of your eggs in one basket, but sometimes it works. It also hurts to deplete our center depth with such a move, but if that gives us a legit 1st line and then we get Boeds - Vermette - Doan on the 2nd line it may not be the worst idea. I'd be curious to try it out at a very minimum because Hanzal and Vrbata do have great chemistry together and really need a playmaker.

I actually thought about this, although in this case I'd keep Hanzal at center and move Ribeiro to wing. But we'd absolutely still need to pick up another center before even contemplating this, preferably someone who can win face-offs and be decent defensively. The asking price for a decent 3C should be lower than trying to get a top 6 forward, but who knows.

But as it stands, I'm comfortable riding out our current roster for a few weeks. See if lines gel, if chemistry develops. Tippett will adjust and tweak his lines as necessary.

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wish we would dispense with the whole "move Hanzal to wing" ideas.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wish we would dispense with the whole "move Hanzal to wing" ideas.

Although I mostly agree, there are some cases in which it does make sense. For instance, Hanzal already is playing wing on our PP2 with Vermette at center taking draws. But between Ribeiro and Hanzal, it makes a lot more sense putting Ribeiro on wing if he's going to be the playmaker for Vrbata.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I see what you're saying, but moving Hanzal negates a lot of his defensive effectiveness. I'd rather leave his line as is so it can shutdown the opposition. At lest until we trade for a winger and can move korpi down the depth chart.

It's still only game 2. Bods-Ribs-Doan did produce in the preseason so hopefully they will start producing soon.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
No I agree. Again, if we do experiment with putting Ribeiro with Hanzal - Vrbata, I'm absolutely sure Tippett will keep our 6'6" Selke-caliber defensive forward at center during 5v5 and on the PK.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
:)

Also, this kind of got lost in the shuffle last night, but how do you guys think Vermette has been playing?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
During the NYR game, I thought Vermette did really well with Moss and Lessio on the forecheck. I still saw him bobble/mishandle the puck in the offensive zone a few times, but nothing frustrating yet like last season. And obviously, his continued dominance in the dot speaks for itself. He should be able to rebound offensively while not being asked to be more than what he is (a 2C/3C tweener).

Really think Korpi - Vermette - Moss can be a deadly two-way line. Hopefully Lessio steps up and starts finding the back of the net or Maloney gets that top 6 goal scorer we need to move Korpi back down where he'll be most effective.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, 2 games in and were shuffling the entire line up, including position changes. I remember when there was a majority who were frustrated with Gretzky always shuffling linemates. If 10 games into the season I still see no chemistry, I'll panic.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I don't think anybody is in a state of panic here. We all knew this team has needed more offense for years, what's everyone's issue with discussing it? That's what we do here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I also think we should consider resigning Klesla and look at moving someone else cause Klesla doesn't mind playing a physical game. Me need more physical play in our end.

With Klesla out, Stone scratched and Morris getting hurt during the game, our defense is not very physical.

SJ is a big team, so I was kind of surprised that Stone was scratched.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
During the NYR game, I thought Vermette did really well with Moss and Lessio on the forecheck. I still saw him bobble/mishandle the puck in the offensive zone a few times, but nothing frustrating yet like last season. And obviously, his continued dominance in the dot speaks for itself. He should be able to rebound offensively while not being asked to be more than what he is (a 2C/3C tweener).

Really think Korpi - Vermette - Moss can be a deadly two-way line. Hopefully Lessio steps up and starts finding the back of the net or Maloney gets that top 6 goal scorer we need to move Korpi back down where he'll be most effective.

Most of us were concerned about Korpi being in the top six, and I think our concerns have proven correct. Everyone, including DM and TIP knows what he can and can't do, yet they put him in the top six.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Most of us were concerned about Korpi being in the top six, and I think our concerns have proven correct. Everyone, including DM and TIP knows what he can and can't do, yet they put him in the top six.

There is literally no solution to this problem at this time though.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Has it really been proven correct? After two games, one where his linemate scored a hat trick. I'm not suggesting Korpikoski is the right fit on that line, but give it a bit more time.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Has it really been proven correct? After two games, one where his linemate scored a hat trick. I'm not suggesting Korpikoski is the right fit on that line, but give it a bit more time.

I get what you're saying, but Korpi wasn't remotely a factor on any of those 3 goals.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The mood swings around here are insane. We ran over the Rangers and then got run over by the Sharks. We're two games in. Two. **** happens and you can't go throwing yourself in front of a speeding bus every time the team has a poor game. Yeesh. Y'all need to take a breath.

As for the game, obviously we laid an egg. Got out worked big time. The Sharks looked like basically the perfect team, however. They deserve credit. They'd have beat any team in the world last night. It got ugly because they were so good and because we were so bad. If we brought our A game it would've been a closer defeat. The group will learn from this and be better for it.

The problem so far with Ribs has been everyone on the ice just wants to get him the puck immediately because they think he's god. They're like "oh ****, ****, I've got the puck...what do I do? Quick get it to Ribs! He will do something great with it!" The problem is he is the distributer not the shooter. The other four guys need to quit playing hot potato every time he's on the ice. It makes all five of them ineffective.

All of our D men have been pretty Jekyll and Hyde so far. Other than Rundblad who's been good and Schlemko who's been playing like he's drunk. I imagine consistency in the other guys will come with some more time. D looks like it's preseason still. They'll shake off the rust soon. I'm guessing Tuesday.

It is discouraging to see all four lines fail to establish any kind of forecheck of any kind at all. You'd think that the fourth line would at least be able to sustain a little pressure. Credit to the Sharks. They completely and totally shut us down.

I don't think the Islanders will do the same.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
There is literally no solution to this problem at this time though.

Correct, we don't have any better options within the current roster.

Belive it or not, there are other options other than Korpi on the 2nd line. Chris Brown even. Andy Miele. I'd like to try Klinkhammer, personally.

Coaching/Management knew Korpi was an experiment that was likely going to fail. Question is, how much longer do they try it out.

But my bigger concern is Doan with Ribeiro. Doan is not a 1st line player anymore. He didn't work with Jokinen, he didn't work with Whitney, he didn't work with Vermette. He is not going to work with Ribeiro. Mark my words.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I'd rather have Korpikoski on the second line than Miele and Knlikhammer....

Holy overreaction. This is why message forums should be banned.

crunchyblack*

Lulz! Great GDT, laughed many times. However, while youre sushifying the old guys Hertl will be filling your net ;)

I remember when you guys drafted him. Your whole board was suicidal. You couldn't believe your rotten luck. I had to go into your draft thread and talk you all off a ledge. Reassure you that he's a total stud and you had the steal of the first round. Ah, memories.

Haha yea it's pretty funny. We've actually been talking (laughing) at all the posts from the draft thread over the last few days. A lot of gems in there. Just for the record, I didn't have an opinion. :P

Big talk for a guy with one NHL game. We'll see how Z and DMo welcome this kid to the league ...

I'm psychic :yo:

Anyways, you guys looked great against the Rangers... Saturday could have been an off night. It's only been two games so it's too early to get excited/disappointed. Remember the start the sharks had last year, it was great, but we all remember the terrible stretch that followed lol. The ebs and flows in hockey are crazy, pretty much anything can happen game to game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It is usually in the fifth year a lot of players breakout. I just do not see this happening with Korpi. Hope he proves me wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Belive it or not, there are other options other than Korpi on the 2nd line. Chris Brown even. Andy Miele. I'd like to try Klinkhammer, personally.

Coaching/Management knew Korpi was an experiment that was likely going to fail. Question is, how much longer do they try it out.

But my bigger concern is Doan with Ribeiro. Doan is not a 1st line player anymore. He didn't work with Jokinen, he didn't work with Whitney, he didn't work with Vermette. He is not going to work with Ribeiro. Mark my words.

I don't think Miele or Brown are capable of being a top six player.
Klinkhammer might surprise. I would give Doan and Boedker a little more time with Ribeiro before I would call it a failure, but I'm disappointed with Doan and Boedker for not coming out stronger to start the season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The mood swings around here are insane. We ran over the Rangers and then got run over by the Sharks. We're two games in. Two. **** happens and you can't go throwing yourself in front of a speeding bus every time the team has a poor game. Yeesh. Y'all need to take a breath.

As for the game, obviously we laid an egg. Got out worked big time. The Sharks looked like basically the perfect team, however. They deserve credit. They'd have beat any team in the world last night. It got ugly because they were so good and because we were so bad. If we brought our A game it would've been a closer defeat. The group will learn from this and be better for it.

The problem so far with Ribs has been everyone on the ice just wants to get him the puck immediately because they think he's god. They're like "oh ****, ****, I've got the puck...what do I do? Quick get it to Ribs! He will do something great with it!" The problem is he is the distributer not the shooter. The other four guys need to quit playing hot potato every time he's on the ice. It makes all five of them ineffective.

All of our D men have been pretty Jekyll and Hyde so far. Other than Rundblad who's been good and Schlemko who's been playing like he's drunk. I imagine consistency in the other guys will come with some more time. D looks like it's preseason still. They'll shake off the rust soon. I'm guessing Tuesday.

It is discouraging to see all four lines fail to establish any kind of forecheck of any kind at all. You'd think that the fourth line would at least be able to sustain a little pressure. Credit to the Sharks. They completely and totally shut us down.

I don't think the Islanders will do the same.

Could not have said it better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->